Hammering the nails deeper into the flipping mirror coffin...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Aug 24, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Aug 24, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Though I'm not thrilled with the need for a translucent mirror, this
    >camera should make some waves.
    >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082420sonyslta77preview.asp

    You might be thrilled with the viewfinder ... with 2.4M dots it has
    better resolution than any other EVF on a mass produced camera.

    You might also be thrilled with the NEX-7 which not only has the same
    sensor as the A77 but also the same 2.4M dot EVF. It is a stunning
    camera that, together with the other NEX models, will enable Sony to
    dominate the CSC market for the next few years. The imminent Nikon
    CSC is no threat to Sony's NEX range.

    Personally, I'm thrilled with the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for NEX which
    will make the NEX-7 a very strong competitor for the excellent
    Fujifilm X100. Of course Fujifilm has an interchangeable-lens version
    of the X100 in advanced development, but it will have to be very
    special indeed if it is to dethrone the NEX-7 as the king of the CSCs.

    Bruce, Aug 24, 2011

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Aug 24, 8:26 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >Though I'm not thrilled with the need for a translucent mirror, this
    > >camera should make some waves.
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082420sonyslta77preview.asp

    > You might be thrilled with the viewfinder ... with 2.4M dots it has
    > better resolution than any other EVF on a mass produced camera.
    >
    > You might also be thrilled with the NEX-7 which not only has the same
    > sensor as the A77 but also the same 2.4M dot EVF.  It is a stunning
    > camera that, together with the other NEX models, will enable Sony to
    > dominate the CSC market for the next few years.  The imminent Nikon
    > CSC is no threat to Sony's NEX range.

    I was thinking that myself. It's only possible attribute might be
    extreme portability, but Nikon has never been known for that. It's
    hugely cropped sensor (thought not as chopped as with the horrific new
    Pentax with it's s--- P&S sensor size) will not look good against the
    Sony. I think it'll find a different market segment to occupy.
    I'm more worried thought about what the Sony will do to m4/3rds? If
    they come out with some decent lenses (Panasonic rumour is that they
    will release a compact pancake zoom with electronic zooming!) they
    must might really hurt the m4/3rds offerings.

    > Personally, I'm thrilled with the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for NEX which
    > will make the NEX-7 a very strong competitor for the excellent
    > Fujifilm X100.  Of course Fujifilm has an interchangeable-lens version
    > of the X100 in advanced development, but it will have to be very
    > special indeed if it is to dethrone the NEX-7 as the king of the CSCs.

    I'm counting the days to this thing's release. It's finally a Sony I
    really want. Just watch the prices on higher-end older primes on Ebay
    once this thing launches. Supporting 24mp (on an APS sensor) as it
    should be will mean one thing: Zeiss or Leica.

    RichA, Aug 24, 2011
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Aug 24, 8:26 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >> >Though I'm not thrilled with the need for a translucent mirror, this
    >> >camera should make some waves.
    >> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082420sonyslta77preview.asp

    >> You might be thrilled with the viewfinder ... with 2.4M dots it has
    >> better resolution than any other EVF on a mass produced camera.
    >>
    >> You might also be thrilled with the NEX-7 which not only has the same
    >> sensor as the A77 but also the same 2.4M dot EVF.  It is a stunning
    >> camera that, together with the other NEX models, will enable Sony to
    >> dominate the CSC market for the next few years.  The imminent Nikon
    >> CSC is no threat to Sony's NEX range.

    >I was thinking that myself. It's only possible attribute might be
    >extreme portability, but Nikon has never been known for that. It's
    >hugely cropped sensor (thought not as chopped as with the horrific new
    >Pentax with it's s--- P&S sensor size) will not look good against the
    >Sony. I think it'll find a different market segment to occupy.

    I think Nikon wants to create a mirrorless range that doesn't damage
    sales of its low-end DSLRs. The low end of Nikon's DSLR range is very
    profitable indeed for Nikon and its dealers.

    >I'm more worried thought about what the Sony will do to m4/3rds? If
    >they come out with some decent lenses (Panasonic rumour is that they
    >will release a compact pancake zoom with electronic zooming!) they
    >must might really hurt the m4/3rds offerings.

    The pressure is on m4/3rds to come up with some better sensors.

    Panasonic has 16 MP in the G3 but the noise and dynamic range are
    poor. Olympus is in a worse position with only 12 MP and even worse
    noise and dynamic range. Sony is now in an extremely strong position
    and (in my opinion) will dominate the CSC market. The NEX-7 is a
    masterstroke.

    >> Personally, I'm thrilled with the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for NEX which
    >> will make the NEX-7 a very strong competitor for the excellent
    >> Fujifilm X100.  Of course Fujifilm has an interchangeable-lens version
    >> of the X100 in advanced development, but it will have to be very
    >> special indeed if it is to dethrone the NEX-7 as the king of the CSCs.

    >I'm counting the days to this thing's release. It's finally a Sony I
    >really want. Just watch the prices on higher-end older primes on Ebay
    >once this thing launches. Supporting 24mp (on an APS sensor) as it
    >should be will mean one thing: Zeiss or Leica.

    That's two things, but I know what you mean. The fact that an NEX
    camera will accept almost any brand of lens made for full frame or DX
    is a strong selling point. People who are considering the Ricoh GXR
    module with Leica M mount may now have a 24 MP option in the NEX-7.

    I had a 'hands-on preview' of the NEX-7 recently and was hugely
    impressed, although we weren't allowed to take any image files with us
    afterwards. It handles well and is a very polished piece of hardware.
    As you say, it is a very desirable piece of kit.

    Bruce, Aug 24, 2011