Halo film & Peter Jackson

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nathan Mercer, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. Nathan Mercer, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Nathan  Mercer

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Oct 5, 2005

  3. > >Peter Jackson is Executive Producing the Halo film

    > Great news for those in the NZ film industry who live around
    > Wellywood.

    However in the history of modern filmmaking, while some OK games based on
    films have been made, I can't of a decent film based on a game. I would be
    surprised if Halo could reverse the trend.

    Fortitudo Dei, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Nathan  Mercer

    Alameda Guest

    "Fortitudo Dei" <> wrote in message
    >> >Peter Jackson is Executive Producing the Halo film

    >> Great news for those in the NZ film industry who live around
    >> Wellywood.

    > However in the history of modern filmmaking, while some OK games based on
    > films have been made, I can't of a decent film based on a game. I would be
    > surprised if Halo could reverse the trend.

    Ummm....Resident Evil, especially RE Apocalypse.

    Alameda, Oct 5, 2005
  5. Nathan  Mercer

    Katipo Guest

    Katipo, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Fortitudo Dei wrote:
    > > >Peter Jackson is Executive Producing the Halo film

    > > Great news for those in the NZ film industry who live around
    > > Wellywood.

    > However in the history of modern filmmaking, while some OK games based on
    > films have been made, I can't of a decent film based on a game. I would be
    > surprised if Halo could reverse the trend.

    I think this one will be different.

    Not sure m(any) other games have such a huge following worldwide. Halo,
    Halo 2, Halo 3, PC, Xbox, http://www.redvsblue.com/ and the books etc
    etc

    Presumabely they will keep the movie story lines along the lines of the
    books that were published, then the movie will kick butt.

    The books add an awesome story behind Master Chief and the point of all
    things Halo

    So the movie won't be lame because its based on a lot more than just a
    video game :)

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 5, 2005
  8. Nathan  Mercer

    thingy Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Normally, but I think this one will be different.
    >
    > Not sure m(any) other games have such a huge following worldwide. Halo,
    > Halo 2, Halo 3, PC, Xbox, http://www.redvsblue.com/ and the books etc
    > etc
    >
    > Presumabely they will keep the movie story lines along the lines of the
    > books that were published, then the movie will kick butt.
    >
    > The books add an awesome story behind Master Chief and the point of all
    > things Halo
    >
    > So the movie won't be lame because its based on a lot more than just a
    > video game :)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    There have been some awful movies made of good games, usually because of
    the second rate actors employed because they are low budget movies with
    gawdaful cheap effects....

    Here we have at least 2 companies who's names they will be keen to
    protect. The effects should be first class, if they can get some 1/2 way
    decent actors and script writers it should go very well.

    I look forward to it.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 5, 2005
  9. Nathan  Mercer

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Katipo" <> wrote in message

    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=biggorilla&p=4955829
    >>
    >> Peter Jackson is Executive Producing the Halo film
    >>

    > Dunno why he got involved in this. Movies based on video games are
    > normally pretty lame.

    Wing Commander was crap.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 5, 2005
  10. Nathan  Mercer

    Katipo Guest

    > Normally, but I think this one will be different.

    You may be right but past history is not in you favour :)

    Katipo, Oct 5, 2005
  11. Nathan  Mercer

    Whoever Guest

    "Katipo" <> wrote in message

    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >> Normally, but I think this one will be different.
    >>

    > You may be right but past history is not in you favour :)

    I assume your not talking about Peter Jackson and Fran's past history ;-)
    Personally I think that if anybody can do a good job of this project they've
    been picked to do it....

    Pooh Bare

    Whoever, Oct 5, 2005
  12. Nathan  Mercer

    Katipo Guest

    "Whoever" <> wrote in message

    > "Katipo" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >>> Normally, but I think this one will be different.
    >>>

    >> You may be right but past history is not in you favour :)
    >>

    > I assume your not talking about Peter Jackson and Fran's past history ;-)
    > Personally I think that if anybody can do a good job of this project
    > they've been picked to do it....
    >
    > Pooh Bare

    Obviously I was talking about the past history of video games turned into
    movies aka crappola central!

    Katipo, Oct 5, 2005
  13. In article <VTI0f.16093$>,
    "Katipo" <> wrote:

    >"Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=biggorilla&p=4955829
    >>
    >> Peter Jackson is Executive Producing the Halo film

    >Dunno why he got involved in this. Movies based on video games are normally
    >pretty lame.

    I thought that only applied to _popular_ games. :)

    Remember Halo runs on the XBox.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 5, 2005
  14. Alameda wrote:
    >>However in the history of modern filmmaking, while some OK games based on
    >>films have been made, I can't of a decent film based on a game. I would be
    >>surprised if Halo could reverse the trend.

    > Ummm....Resident Evil, especially RE Apocalypse.

    They were good movies?
    what do you consider bad?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site - redesign in progress

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2005
  15. Nathan  Mercer

    Kent Smith Guest

    Katipo wrote:
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=biggorilla&p=4955829
    >>
    >> Peter Jackson is Executive Producing the Halo film
    >>

    > Dunno why he got involved in this. Movies based on video games are
    > normally pretty lame.

    He's not directing it, he's producing it. A crap movie and still have top
    notch production. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Oct 5, 2005
  16. T'was the Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:26:10 +1300 when I remembered "Dave -
    Dave.net.nz" <> saying something like this:

    >They were good movies?
    >what do you consider bad?

    Mortal Kombat?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 5, 2005
  17. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>They were good movies?
    >>what do you consider bad?

    > Mortal Kombat?

    The first was watchable... the sequels were dreadful...

    We had a night of bad kung fu movies... I know it isn't strictly kung
    fu, but it is bad.

    "The Blade" very asian, with subtitles and dubbing was quite
    entertaining... not sure on the exact name of the movie, it was in the
    incredably strange film festival from a few years back, described as
    "gratuatuous kung fu violence".

    --
    http://dave.net.nz - my site.
    http://dave.net.nz/blog <- Blog incase you count's figure it out.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2005
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >> http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=biggorilla&p=4955829
    > >>
    > >> Peter Jackson is Executive Producing the Halo film

    > >Dunno why he got involved in this. Movies based on video games are normally
    > >pretty lame.

    > I thought that only applied to _popular_ games. :)
    >
    > Remember Halo runs on the XBox.

    Halo runs on PC as well

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 5, 2005
  19. Nathan  Mercer

    Alameda Guest

    > Alameda wrote:
    >>>However in the history of modern filmmaking, while some OK games based on
    >>>films have been made, I can't of a decent film based on a game. I would
    >>>be
    >>>surprised if Halo could reverse the trend.

    >> Ummm....Resident Evil, especially RE Apocalypse.

    > They were good movies?
    > what do you consider bad?

    They were good for me, simply because they were enjoyable. I like action
    flicks. Heck, I'll go to a Rob Cohen flick without hesitation.

    One movie based on a videogame I would consider 'bad' was the Super Mario
    Bros movie. It just wasn't enjoyable for me. Street Fighter with Kylie and
    Van Damme was kinda cool. What can I say... I dig a bit of cheese and a bit
    of testosterone! :p

    Alameda, Oct 6, 2005
  20. Nathan  Mercer

    Alameda Guest

    >> >Dunno why he got involved in this. Movies based on video games are
    >> >normally
    >> >pretty lame.

    >> I thought that only applied to _popular_ games. :)
    >>
    >> Remember Halo runs on the XBox.

    > Halo runs on PC as well

    ...and if you pay a monthly $$$$$$$$$$$ to Transgaming, run a bunch of arcane
    command lines, get 10 frames per second out of it you can also run it on
    Linux too!

    Alameda, Oct 6, 2005