Half memory: lost?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Joe, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Hi,

    I've got an interesting problem where I went from 256 to 128 RAM (DDR). If
    anybody could help me, it would be great. The full details follow. I'm
    sorry in advance for it being long, I just want to make sure I'm not
    omitting anything that might present a clue to someone.

    The computer is AthXP 1700 CPU running Windows 2000, a no name brand (past
    warranty period). It has 2 slots for DDR RAM and 2 for non-DDR. The
    computer came with 256 DDR RAM located in slot 1. It had only a 10 GB hard
    drive, so I was attempting to upgrade it to a new 160 GB hard drive. (The
    10GB was removed from the system)

    I'm not absolutely sure I installed the hard drive itself correctly since it
    required special instructions (getting latest service pack and installing
    Maxtor's maxblast program) to break the 137GB barrier which I attempted to
    follow. I removed an overlay program Maxtor put on that delayed the boot
    process. According to the documentation, it's necessary for some BIOS to
    recognize the hard drive. After removal, everything seemed fine as the hard
    drive seemed to be just fine.

    A couple of days later, I did receive one blue screen error message from
    Windows 2000 informing me there was an error writing to read only memory and
    that it caused a violation. I had to reboot and the error has not yet
    repeated.

    Now all along this time, I did not ever check my RAM as the thought didn't
    occur to me. But not long after, I noticed that my performance was not par
    to before. Checking my RAM, I found I had only 128 instead of the 256 I
    used to have! Windows 2000 and the BIOS message at startup both confirm the
    128 RAM.

    So, I tried various things including rebooting with different BIOS settings
    (quick boot off, self-detect DIMM on) and nothing worked. I then opened up
    the case and moved the memory carefully (while grounded) to slot 2. I also
    took the opportunity to blow some air on the memory and memory slots to
    clean off some dust. Upon restarting, same problem, only half of my RAM was
    reported.

    So.....I then took the RAM out completely from the PC and started it up with
    no RAM installed in hopes it might recognize the RAM fully when reinserted.
    It gave me a sequence of non-stopping beeps (I thought it would do just one
    sequence and then stop but it kept going). I turned it off and reinserted
    the RAM back into slot 2.

    Upon trying to restart, the power didn't even come back on. The power
    supply itself is new to the computer as the old one died (PC wouldn't turn
    on) a few weeks back. After removing and reinserting all my power cables,
    including the cable from power supply to motherboard, the PC did turn on.

    However, I instantly got a burning smell and that continued to be strong.
    In addition, while the computer turned on, nothing happened. No beeps, no
    display, nothing (and the monitor was plugged in for sure). I turned off
    the PC again and checked my memory stick and found it scalding hot. After a
    couple of minutes, I removed the stick from the computer again and waited
    for it to cool down.

    I then reinserted it carefully back into slot 1 and tried again. No burning
    smell this time and everything came back on fine. In fact, my memory was
    reported to 256 RAM which made me very happy until without warning it
    suddenly rebooted itself during Windows startup. On it's reboot and
    continued reboots, it again reports I have 128 RAM...

    So, I'm pretty lost. I'm sorry this was so long but I wanted to make sure
    there were enough details. Does anyone have any idea what happened and what
    I should do? It would seem to me that even if I did mess up installing the
    hard drive and removing the overlay when I shouldn't have, that the physical
    RAM amount reported by BIO should not be affected. Is that right? Is this
    completely unrelated to the hard drive and error about trying to write to
    read only memory? If so, what's going on? Any and all help is appreciated.
    If, when you might, you wouldn't mind emailing me at , as
    well responding here, it would be great. Thank you again!

    Joe

    Joe, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Joe

    allan angus Guest

    a strange problem!!! im not sure th HD will have anything to do with this
    but to eliminate it from suspection disconnect it along with all other
    internal devices cd rom etc obviously leave the monitor keybord and mouse
    attached then boot your system and see how much ram is recognised in cmos.
    if still 128 try your ram in another pc if it shows as 256 i would suspect
    your Motherboard however if it shows as 128 then your ram is bad however if
    your ram is bad then your motherboard may still be fried (the burning smell
    did not sound good) it may have been the board that damaged the ram. if the
    ram is bad try the boad with a good chip if the good chip dosent work id say
    you will have to replace the board.Is P.O.S.T enabled in your cmos setup?

    allan angus, Aug 9, 2003

  3. Joe

    jim anderson Guest

    Well trying to save a little cash huh well for sure your memory is toast and
    it could turn out to be more.

    1) First replace the faulty ram with a new memory module as the one
    that you have is reliable.

    2) You seem to have a lot of power problems ie new power supply so have
    someone check your power to ensure that it is not a faulty ground or some
    other problem.

    3) Have a professional do this as your just costing yourself money.

    4) Windows 2000 is fairly good at giving proper error codes, if you get
    another write it down, and go to a search engine and type the error exactly
    this should give you a better idea of why your getting this error.

    6) Change your middle name to LUCKY as after the burning smell your
    motherboard should have been toast.

    7) Now remember your motherboard has also been compromised and one day
    poof it just won't turn on, so if you have any important data back it up.

    ,

    jim anderson, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Joe

    FredG Guest

    "allan angus" <> wrote in message news:<VbPYa.4557$>...
    > snip

    Does your ram have chips on one side or on both? I seem to remember an
    issue with double sided memory a while back. Anyone know if this could
    be related?

    FredG, Sep 4, 2003
  5. The Intel BX chipset could use some 256 meg SDRAM modules, but with
    others, it only saw half of the memory due to the way that the memory
    was organized. Although technically this has nothing to do with whether
    the memory modules have chips on one side or two sides, as a practical
    matter, you could distinguish the modules that would work from those
    that would not in this manner. If the module had chips on both sides,
    it would work, if chips only on one side then only half of the module
    (128 megs) would be seen.

    This also applied to some other chipsets.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 4, 2003