    WineX is a DirectX emulation that allows 3D-accelerated Windows games to run
    on Linux.

    www.transgaming.com

    steve, Feb 12, 2004

  2. steve wrote:
    > Works perfectly with WineX 3.2.1 - We tried it last night at the Kapiti
    > Linux User Group meeting.

    It has run just fine under plain old Wine for quite some time... I was
    using it ~July 2001

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 12, 2004

  3. steve

    Jackson Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message

    > Works perfectly with WineX 3.2.1 - We tried it last night at the Kapiti
    > Linux User Group meeting.
    >
    > AMD Athlon 2800+ / 512MB / Xandros Linux 2.0
    >
    > Half-Life installed fine and ran perfectly.

    I had halflife running fine with TFC on my old 700mhz AMD about 4 years ago
    using Windows. Try running Battlefield 1942 with all graphic options up full
    on your emulator and then i'll listen to your drivel.

    Until then, im not impressed.

    Jackson

    Jackson, Feb 12, 2004
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:19:34 +1300, steve wrote:
    >

    >> Works perfectly with WineX 3.2.1 - We tried it last night at the Kapiti
    >> Linux User Group meeting.

    > Did Woger show up and start rabbiting on about his fetish for
    > teenagers and playstations?

    He was a no-show.....as you would expect. :)

    steve, Feb 12, 2004
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    Jackson wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Works perfectly with WineX 3.2.1 - We tried it last night at the Kapiti
    >> Linux User Group meeting.
    >>
    >> AMD Athlon 2800+ / 512MB / Xandros Linux 2.0
    >>
    >> Half-Life installed fine and ran perfectly.

    > I had halflife running fine with TFC on my old 700mhz AMD about 4 years
    > ago using Windows. Try running Battlefield 1942 with all graphic options
    > up full on your emulator and then i'll listen to your drivel.
    >
    > Until then, im not impressed.
    >
    > Jackson

    It isn't an "emulator". It directly translates Windows calls into Linux
    calls.

    Sure...it won't be as fast as native Windows. But for most games out there,
    they were written for hardware that is 2-3 or more years old now. On a
    reasonable PC today, running Linux, they can run as well or better than
    they did on the recommended platform when they were released.

    For example...Half-Life could be not be any smoother or faster.

    The point of my posts is a very simple one:

    IF *your* favourite game has been keeping you shackled to Windows.....You
    may not have to stay that way.

    Battlefield 1942 is one of the games that works well for some players....and
    not so well for others....depending on thier hardware. But that is true of
    Windows, too.

    As for the game I'd never heard of it until recently.

    steve, Feb 12, 2004

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 12, 2004