Half-Life 2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam Cameron, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    Anyone got anything to say about it?

    I picked it up y/day, and here are some thoughts:

    1) The whole Steam thing is just irritating. *Needing* an Internet
    connection to get going is a bit on the nose, I think. Apparently once i'm
    registered properly, then I can play "off line", but depsite my
    registration claiming to have gone through OK (took three goes, as their
    servers couldn't cope, y/day), I have to at least be connected when the
    Steam service starts, or no dice. I've not looked into it thoroughly yet.
    I really don't think I should be jumping through any of these hoops to get
    at the game. I wonder how long it'll take for people to hack the Steam
    requirement? A couple of days, I imagine. Good on them.

    2) The game seems pretty good so far (I've been playing for about two
    hours, on and off, and have just picked up the sub-machinegun thing). It's
    very much "more of the same", but it's more of a very good thing. For
    once I am really impressed by how the look-and-feel adds to the game. To
    put it in perspective: I still play Doom2, and don't really care that the
    graphics look chunky: it's always been gameplay, not prettiness for me in
    the past (I think Doom3 is crap, compared to Doom2).

    3) If I have to go through all these hoops to register and prove I've got a
    cosher copy of the software... why do I *still* need to have the CD in the
    drive?

    4) I'm running it on a P4 3.2GHz, with a 128MB video card. And it's still
    slow-ish in places (the screen will freeze up every now and then, like
    really bad lag). The load times between sections are around the 10-20sec
    mark. I'm sure it can't be due to having a slow HDD?

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Adam Cameron

    William Bell Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:36:27 +1300, Adam Cameron <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone got anything to say about it?
    >
    >I picked it up y/day, and here are some thoughts:
    >
    >1) The whole Steam thing is just irritating. *Needing* an Internet
    >connection to get going is a bit on the nose, I think. Apparently once i'm
    >registered properly, then I can play "off line", but depsite my
    >registration claiming to have gone through OK (took three goes, as their
    >servers couldn't cope, y/day), I have to at least be connected when the
    >Steam service starts, or no dice. I've not looked into it thoroughly yet.
    >I really don't think I should be jumping through any of these hoops to get
    >at the game. I wonder how long it'll take for people to hack the Steam
    >requirement? A couple of days, I imagine. Good on them.
    >
    >2) The game seems pretty good so far (I've been playing for about two
    >hours, on and off, and have just picked up the sub-machinegun thing). It's
    >very much "more of the same", but it's more of a very good thing. For
    >once I am really impressed by how the look-and-feel adds to the game. To
    >put it in perspective: I still play Doom2, and don't really care that the
    >graphics look chunky: it's always been gameplay, not prettiness for me in
    >the past (I think Doom3 is crap, compared to Doom2).
    >
    >3) If I have to go through all these hoops to register and prove I've got a
    >cosher copy of the software... why do I *still* need to have the CD in the
    >drive?
    >
    >4) I'm running it on a P4 3.2GHz, with a 128MB video card. And it's still
    >slow-ish in places (the screen will freeze up every now and then, like
    >really bad lag). The load times between sections are around the 10-20sec
    >mark. I'm sure it can't be due to having a slow HDD?
    >
    >Adam

    The Game is a Utter Joke as you need a very good system for it to work, like a
    $800 3D card, plus stupid Activation requirements.

    So how does one play this that does not have a Internet connection.?
    William Bell, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Adam Cameron

    cowboyz Guest

    "Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone got anything to say about it?
    >
    > I picked it up y/day, and here are some thoughts:
    >
    > 1) The whole Steam thing is just irritating. *Needing* an Internet
    > connection to get going is a bit on the nose, I think. Apparently once

    i'm
    > registered properly, then I can play "off line", but depsite my
    > registration claiming to have gone through OK (took three goes, as their
    > servers couldn't cope, y/day), I have to at least be connected when the
    > Steam service starts, or no dice. I've not looked into it thoroughly yet.
    > I really don't think I should be jumping through any of these hoops to get
    > at the game. I wonder how long it'll take for people to hack the Steam
    > requirement? A couple of days, I imagine. Good on them.
    >
    > 2) The game seems pretty good so far (I've been playing for about two
    > hours, on and off, and have just picked up the sub-machinegun thing).

    It's
    > very much "more of the same", but it's more of a very good thing. For
    > once I am really impressed by how the look-and-feel adds to the game. To
    > put it in perspective: I still play Doom2, and don't really care that the
    > graphics look chunky: it's always been gameplay, not prettiness for me in
    > the past (I think Doom3 is crap, compared to Doom2).
    >
    > 3) If I have to go through all these hoops to register and prove I've got

    > cosher copy of the software... why do I *still* need to have the CD in the
    > drive?
    >
    > 4) I'm running it on a P4 3.2GHz, with a 128MB video card. And it's still
    > slow-ish in places (the screen will freeze up every now and then, like
    > really bad lag). The load times between sections are around the 10-20sec
    > mark. I'm sure it can't be due to having a slow HDD?
    >
    > Adam

    I am awaiting my copy. Should be here by 2pm hopefully!!!

    3 is an interesting point. It does bug me leaving the CD in the drive
    mainly because I forget to take it out and then the kids get on here and
    find the CD and thats how I got my V8 supercars 1 fusked. Bummer.

    However, I fully support Steam for their efforts on the anti-piracy of this
    game. I have watched various threads on how people are complaining "What if
    I want to play this game on a PC that is not connected to the internet" and
    such comments as this. At the end of the day. It says on the box that an
    internet connection is required for the game. You might as well complain
    that you can't play the game with a 386SX and 1MB s3 Trio.......... Its on
    the box. No hiding. There are plenty of other games on the market that
    don't require an internet connection.
    cowboyz, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Adam Cameron

    cowboyz Guest

    "William Bell" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:36:27 +1300, Adam Cameron <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Anyone got anything to say about it?
    > >
    > >I picked it up y/day, and here are some thoughts:
    > >
    > >1) The whole Steam thing is just irritating. *Needing* an Internet
    > >connection to get going is a bit on the nose, I think. Apparently once

    i'm
    > >registered properly, then I can play "off line", but depsite my
    > >registration claiming to have gone through OK (took three goes, as their
    > >servers couldn't cope, y/day), I have to at least be connected when the
    > >Steam service starts, or no dice. I've not looked into it thoroughly

    yet.
    > >I really don't think I should be jumping through any of these hoops to

    get
    > >at the game. I wonder how long it'll take for people to hack the Steam
    > >requirement? A couple of days, I imagine. Good on them.
    > >
    > >2) The game seems pretty good so far (I've been playing for about two
    > >hours, on and off, and have just picked up the sub-machinegun thing).

    It's
    > >very much "more of the same", but it's more of a very good thing. For
    > >once I am really impressed by how the look-and-feel adds to the game. To
    > >put it in perspective: I still play Doom2, and don't really care that the
    > >graphics look chunky: it's always been gameplay, not prettiness for me in
    > >the past (I think Doom3 is crap, compared to Doom2).
    > >
    > >3) If I have to go through all these hoops to register and prove I've got

    > >cosher copy of the software... why do I *still* need to have the CD in

    the
    > >drive?
    > >
    > >4) I'm running it on a P4 3.2GHz, with a 128MB video card. And it's

    still
    > >slow-ish in places (the screen will freeze up every now and then, like
    > >really bad lag). The load times between sections are around the 10-20sec
    > >mark. I'm sure it can't be due to having a slow HDD?
    > >
    > >Adam

    > The Game is a Utter Joke as you need a very good system for it to work,

    like a
    > $800 3D card, plus stupid Activation requirements.
    >
    > So how does one play this that does not have a Internet connection.?

    Yep, here they come.

    It says on the box that an internet connection is required for this game.

    On the cover of V8 supercars 2 DVD it says I need a DVD-ROM drive.

    How the hell do I play this game without a DVDROM?? Are you seriously
    saying that if I don't have a DVDROM drive then I HAVE to go buy one just to
    play the DVD version of this game???!! That is just plain STUPID. This is
    CRAP. 5 years ago I never needed a DVD drive to play a game. How come
    the software makers can't make a game that suits my computer. And they
    charged me $100 for this game. Outrageous!!!!!
    cowboyz, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Adam Cameron

    > Anyone got anything to say about it?
    >
    > I picked it up y/day, and here are some thoughts:
    >
    > 1) The whole Steam thing is just irritating. *Needing* an Internet
    > connection to get going is a bit on the nose, I think. Apparently once

    i'm
    > registered properly, then I can play "off line", but depsite my
    > registration claiming to have gone through OK (took three goes, as their
    > servers couldn't cope, y/day), I have to at least be connected when the
    > Steam service starts, or no dice. I've not looked into it thoroughly yet.
    > I really don't think I should be jumping through any of these hoops to get
    > at the game. I wonder how long it'll take for people to hack the Steam
    > requirement? A couple of days, I imagine. Good on them.
    >
    > 2) The game seems pretty good so far (I've been playing for about two
    > hours, on and off, and have just picked up the sub-machinegun thing).

    It's
    > very much "more of the same", but it's more of a very good thing. For
    > once I am really impressed by how the look-and-feel adds to the game. To
    > put it in perspective: I still play Doom2, and don't really care that the
    > graphics look chunky: it's always been gameplay, not prettiness for me in
    > the past (I think Doom3 is crap, compared to Doom2).
    >
    > 3) If I have to go through all these hoops to register and prove I've got

    > cosher copy of the software... why do I *still* need to have the CD in the
    > drive?
    >
    > 4) I'm running it on a P4 3.2GHz, with a 128MB video card. And it's still
    > slow-ish in places (the screen will freeze up every now and then, like
    > really bad lag). The load times between sections are around the 10-20sec
    > mark. I'm sure it can't be due to having a slow HDD?

    Whats the raphics card. I have read places (starting to sound like Woger
    now) that a 2500 with Radeon 9600XT can play it at 45fps at 1024 with
    everything on. I have a 2100 with 9800pro (128meg) so hoping it goes well.
    Will find out in a couple of hours.

    cowboyz, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Adam Cameron

    William Bell Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:38:11 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >"William Bell" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:36:27 +1300, Adam Cameron <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Anyone got anything to say about it?
    >> >
    >> >I picked it up y/day, and here are some thoughts:
    >> >
    >> >1) The whole Steam thing is just irritating. *Needing* an Internet
    >> >connection to get going is a bit on the nose, I think. Apparently once

    >i'm
    >> >registered properly, then I can play "off line", but depsite my
    >> >registration claiming to have gone through OK (took three goes, as their
    >> >servers couldn't cope, y/day), I have to at least be connected when the
    >> >Steam service starts, or no dice. I've not looked into it thoroughly

    >yet.
    >> >I really don't think I should be jumping through any of these hoops to

    >get
    >> >at the game. I wonder how long it'll take for people to hack the Steam
    >> >requirement? A couple of days, I imagine. Good on them.
    >> >
    >> >2) The game seems pretty good so far (I've been playing for about two
    >> >hours, on and off, and have just picked up the sub-machinegun thing).

    >It's
    >> >very much "more of the same", but it's more of a very good thing. For
    >> >once I am really impressed by how the look-and-feel adds to the game. To
    >> >put it in perspective: I still play Doom2, and don't really care that the
    >> >graphics look chunky: it's always been gameplay, not prettiness for me in
    >> >the past (I think Doom3 is crap, compared to Doom2).
    >> >
    >> >3) If I have to go through all these hoops to register and prove I've got

    >> >cosher copy of the software... why do I *still* need to have the CD in

    >the
    >> >drive?
    >> >
    >> >4) I'm running it on a P4 3.2GHz, with a 128MB video card. And it's

    >still
    >> >slow-ish in places (the screen will freeze up every now and then, like
    >> >really bad lag). The load times between sections are around the 10-20sec
    >> >mark. I'm sure it can't be due to having a slow HDD?
    >> >
    >> >Adam

    >> The Game is a Utter Joke as you need a very good system for it to work,

    >like a
    >> $800 3D card, plus stupid Activation requirements.
    >>
    >> So how does one play this that does not have a Internet connection.?
    >>

    >Yep, here they come.
    >

    >It says on the box that an internet connection is required for this game.
    >
    >On the cover of V8 supercars 2 DVD it says I need a DVD-ROM drive.
    >
    >How the hell do I play this game without a DVDROM?? Are you seriously
    >saying that if I don't have a DVDROM drive then I HAVE to go buy one just to
    >play the DVD version of this game???!! That is just plain STUPID. This is
    >CRAP. 5 years ago I never needed a DVD drive to play a game. How come
    >the software makers can't make a game that suits my computer. And they
    >charged me $100 for this game. Outrageous!!!!!

    Well you got Done..
    William Bell, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Adam Cameron

    Rider Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    >> The Game is a Utter Joke as you need a very good system for it to work,

    > like a
    >> $800 3D card, plus stupid Activation requirements.
    >>
    >> So how does one play this that does not have a Internet connection.?
    >>

    > Yep, here they come.
    >

    > It says on the box that an internet connection is required for this game.
    >
    > On the cover of V8 supercars 2 DVD it says I need a DVD-ROM drive.
    >
    > How the hell do I play this game without a DVDROM?? Are you seriously
    > saying that if I don't have a DVDROM drive then I HAVE to go buy one just
    > play the DVD version of this game???!! That is just plain STUPID. This
    > is
    > CRAP. 5 years ago I never needed a DVD drive to play a game. How come
    > the software makers can't make a game that suits my computer. And they
    > charged me $100 for this game. Outrageous!!!!!

    LoL :)
    Rider, Nov 18, 2004
  8. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > The Game is a Utter Joke as you need a very good system for it to work, like a
    > $800 3D card,

    My video card cost about $300. Works fine.

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Nov 18, 2004
  9. Adam Cameron

    > > The Game is a Utter Joke as you need a very good system for it to work,

    like a
    > > $800 3D card,

    > My video card cost about $300. Works fine.
    >
    > Adam

    What is it. Just rung the warehouse (where I am getting my copy from for
    $88.something) and they still don't have it. bugger.... The worst thing
    about this is I'll get so excited about getting it, when I finally do it
    will end up being disappointing.

    More reading about it and people are getting fair results using a GF3 and
    varied results with 9600 and above. Seems to be a good engine.
    cowboyz, Nov 18, 2004
  10. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > It says on the box that an internet connection is required for this game.

    And the guy in the shop also made a point of asking me if I had a 'net
    connection and explained why. No probs on that count: you're quite
    right... all it takes is a bit of RTFM.

    > On the cover of V8 supercars 2 DVD it says I need a DVD-ROM drive.

    Well, sure, but that's to erad the media, surely?

    Just by-the-by, does that one come on CD too, or only DVD? I note that
    H/L2 is on 5 CDs, and thought "oh... wonder if I could ahve got it on one
    DVD insetad?".

    But the difference here is there's no actual "real world" requirement for
    HL2 to *need* an Internet connection, other than the rego process they
    decided to use. I think @ the very least they should have a "you've got 30
    days to register, so better get on line between now and then" system. This
    would be entirely reasonable, and still work with their precious rego
    system. I assume this will be hacked within a week, making it only a
    pain-in-the-arse for those of us who actually like to do things the
    "correct" way, as all the pirates out there will simply crack it instead.

    Still: the game's fun - which is the main thing - and only cost $85 from
    DSE, so that's not bad. I was expecting about $120-150 for it.

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Nov 18, 2004
  11. Adam Cameron wrote:
    >>On the cover of V8 supercars 2 DVD it says I need a DVD-ROM drive.

    > Well, sure, but that's to erad the media, surely?

    yep.

    > Just by-the-by, does that one come on CD too, or only DVD? I note that
    > H/L2 is on 5 CDs, and thought "oh... wonder if I could ahve got it on one
    > DVD insetad?".

    yep, but not in NZ as far as I have seen.

    > Still: the game's fun - which is the main thing - and only cost $85 from
    > DSE, so that's not bad. I was expecting about $120-150 for it.

    woohoo, /me goes to DSE along the road.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 18, 2004
  12. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > Whats the raphics card. I have read places (starting to sound like Woger
    > now) that a 2500 with Radeon 9600XT can play it at 45fps at 1024 with

    It's a Radeon 9700. 128MB, I think. It's a Dell laptop version, if that's
    any odds. The graphics seem fine.

    I've never got into this frames/sec carry-on. Above 25frames/sec, most
    people's eyes don't know the difference anyhow. It's all
    PC-hardware-marketing-bullshit if you ask me ;-)

    > everything on. I have a 2100 with 9800pro (128meg) so hoping it goes well.
    > Will find out in a couple of hours.

    I reckon it'll be fine.

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Nov 18, 2004
  13. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    >Just rung the warehouse (where I am getting my copy from for
    > $88.something)

    DSE on Wyndham St (Auckland) had plenty of copies of it y/day. Not sure if
    that helps. The release seemed quite understated, or maybe I just don't
    pay attention? I only realised it came out y/day because I happened to be
    in DSE picking up something else, and I always go see what games they have
    cheap, and saw a pre-order box there with y/day's date on it.

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Nov 18, 2004
  14. Adam Cameron

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:29:31 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >However, I fully support Steam for their efforts on the anti-piracy of this
    >game.

    They've had some right royal cockups though. Sierra released a LOT of duplicate
    Half Life & Counter-Strike keys so a lot of people couldn't set up a Steam
    account... and unless you have the receipt you're screwed. I don't think they
    honour purchases older than 6 months too.
    Invisible, Nov 18, 2004
  15. Adam Cameron

    William Bell Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:15:49 +1300, Adam Cameron <>
    wrote:

    >> The Game is a Utter Joke as you need a very good system for it to work, like a
    >> $800 3D card,

    >My video card cost about $300. Works fine.
    >
    >Adam

    Define Fine..?
    William Bell, Nov 18, 2004
  16. Adam Cameron

    William Bell Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:29:31 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >"Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone got anything to say about it?
    >>
    >> I picked it up y/day, and here are some thoughts:
    >>
    >> 1) The whole Steam thing is just irritating. *Needing* an Internet
    >> connection to get going is a bit on the nose, I think. Apparently once

    >i'm
    >> registered properly, then I can play "off line", but depsite my
    >> registration claiming to have gone through OK (took three goes, as their
    >> servers couldn't cope, y/day), I have to at least be connected when the
    >> Steam service starts, or no dice. I've not looked into it thoroughly yet.
    >> I really don't think I should be jumping through any of these hoops to get
    >> at the game. I wonder how long it'll take for people to hack the Steam
    >> requirement? A couple of days, I imagine. Good on them.
    >>
    >> 2) The game seems pretty good so far (I've been playing for about two
    >> hours, on and off, and have just picked up the sub-machinegun thing).

    >It's
    >> very much "more of the same", but it's more of a very good thing. For
    >> once I am really impressed by how the look-and-feel adds to the game. To
    >> put it in perspective: I still play Doom2, and don't really care that the
    >> graphics look chunky: it's always been gameplay, not prettiness for me in
    >> the past (I think Doom3 is crap, compared to Doom2).
    >>
    >> 3) If I have to go through all these hoops to register and prove I've got

    >> cosher copy of the software... why do I *still* need to have the CD in the
    >> drive?
    >>
    >> 4) I'm running it on a P4 3.2GHz, with a 128MB video card. And it's still
    >> slow-ish in places (the screen will freeze up every now and then, like
    >> really bad lag). The load times between sections are around the 10-20sec
    >> mark. I'm sure it can't be due to having a slow HDD?
    >>
    >> Adam

    >I am awaiting my copy. Should be here by 2pm hopefully!!!
    >
    >3 is an interesting point. It does bug me leaving the CD in the drive
    >mainly because I forget to take it out and then the kids get on here and
    >find the CD and thats how I got my V8 supercars 1 fusked. Bummer.
    >
    >However, I fully support Steam for their efforts on the anti-piracy of this
    >game.

    What for a $89 Game, what utter crap its not a $500 OS is it..

    I can see the point in protecting a expensive piece of software, but not a
    Stupid game that has far to many restriction on playing it..

    All so if it can't be copied why is it that dear..

    William Bell, Nov 18, 2004
  17. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    >>My video card cost about $300. Works fine.

    > Define Fine..?

    I sit there. I play the game. I smile @ how pretty it looks.

    I'm running it @ 1024x768, I think... can't remember. I don't really get
    too much propellor-winding reaction from fps and resolution and that sort
    of thing. But it looks *good*.

    As I stated in my first posting, the only performance problems I've
    encountered are load times, really. And there's an occasional "lock" for a
    few (up to 10) seconds, maybe 3-4 times so far.

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, Nov 18, 2004
  18. Adam Cameron

    cowboyz Guest

    William Bell wrote:

    >> However, I fully support Steam for their efforts on the anti-piracy
    >> of this game.

    > What for a $89 Game, what utter crap its not a $500 OS is it..
    >

    > I can see the point in protecting a expensive piece of software, but
    > not a Stupid game that has far to many restriction on playing it..

    There would be less than 3 people on earth that would actually be surprised
    that you missed the point. It is hardly a rare occurance.

    > All so if it can't be copied why is it that dear..

    I was pleasently surprised to see it at <$90. Some websites sell the Ati
    tickets for the game for $30 if you buy an Ati card off them. I guess it
    just falls down to supply and demand and it was always going to sell at
    <$90. <$50 probably wouldn't yeild more sales because most of who will buy
    this game are buying it because it is a sequel to Half-life. I loved
    Half-Life. It was the first FPS game that I bothered clocking. Usually I
    get bored pretty quick. I am one who would have paid $200 for this game if
    that is what it come out at.
    cowboyz, Nov 18, 2004
  19. "Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone got anything to say about it?

    going is a bit on the nose, I think. Apparently once i'm
    <<snip>>>
    > really bad lag). The load times between sections are around the 10-20sec
    > mark. I'm sure it can't be due to having a slow HDD?
    >
    > Adam

    The installation activation process is a pain in the butt. It did not let me
    change the drive from C: either. I would have liked to install to my fast
    drive with bigger internal cache.

    Played it for 10 minutes...my impressions are...half life one dressed in
    fancier clothes. Gamemakers should take note from the movie industry -
    special graphic effects by themselves don't necessarily guarantee a good
    film - e.g phantom menace. The key is to make the gameplay itself unique -
    although , the graphics are very nice.
    Jed Meisterdude, Nov 18, 2004
  20. Adam Cameron

    William Bell Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:28:09 +1300, "Jed Meisterdude"
    <> wrote:

    >"Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone got anything to say about it?
    >>

    >going is a bit on the nose, I think. Apparently once i'm
    ><<snip>>>
    >> really bad lag). The load times between sections are around the 10-20sec
    >> mark. I'm sure it can't be due to having a slow HDD?
    >>
    >> Adam

    >The installation activation process is a pain in the butt. It did not let me
    >change the drive from C: either. I would have liked to install to my fast
    >drive with bigger internal cache.

    That would put me of totally, I run my PC not them..

    The Whole thing is a Utter Joke..

    William Bell, Nov 18, 2004