    complex. Time to get a new video card methinks. ATI and Nvidia must be
    rubbing their hands in glee.
    AL
    Ali P, Jul 23, 2003

  2. > Hi, I don't know if this has been discussed here before but who here is
    > pretty much wetting their pants at the thought of playing Half Life 2. I
    > admit it, I am.
    > I downloaded the 600MB E3 preview quicktime movie from the jetstream ftp
    > and after watching it I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. For those who
    > haven't seen it and have a jetstart connection, log on using the
    > jetstreamgames context and download it from ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz - it
    > won't affect your data cap and you'll download at full speed (around 300K
    > per second) even on jetstream starter connections. The path is:
    > ftp://ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/movie/e3/half_life_2_full_gsi.zip
    > Then prepare to be reduced to a gibbering wreck with anticipation. It

    looks
    > and plays like a movie. The AI and real-world physics are mind-bogglingly
    > complex. Time to get a new video card methinks. ATI and Nvidia must be
    > rubbing their hands in glee.
    > AL

    I've been beefing up my system in anticipation, this one game is costing me
    over 10 times what it will actually retail for lol.

    Steve
    Stephen Williams, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Ali P

    colinco Guest

    In article <GztTa.6801$>, Ali P wrote...
    > It looks and plays like a movie.

    Because like a movie it has probably been edited to look good :)
    colinco, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Ali P

    SNOman Guest

    "StuM" <stum@_remove_this_dr.com> wrote in message

    > "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <GztTa.6801$>, Ali P wrote...
    > > > It looks and plays like a movie.
    > > >

    > > Because like a movie it has probably been edited to look good :)

    > I dont think so. From the videos i've seen its actual in game footage.
    > Halflife2 will set the standard for FPS's this year like the orginal did
    > years ago.
    >
    > Im very excited!!
    >
    > StuM.

    Any idea what the minimum PC specs will be?
    SNOman, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Ali P

    Alan Guest

    Whatever happened to TF2?

    Alan, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Ali P

    cowboyz Guest

    "SNOman" <> wrote in message

    > "StuM" <stum@_remove_this_dr.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > > > In article <GztTa.6801$>, Ali P wrote...
    > > > >
    > > > Because like a movie it has probably been edited to look good :)

    > > I dont think so. From the videos i've seen its actual in game footage.
    > > Halflife2 will set the standard for FPS's this year like the orginal did
    > > years ago.
    > >
    > > Im very excited!!
    > >
    > > StuM.
    > >

    > Any idea what the minimum PC specs will be?

    dunno but I'm guessing it is gonna be one of those games you don't want to
    play on min specs anyway. Looks good and might be time for another
    upgrade! half life got me into playing FPS in the first place. I better
    stock up on some sleep now.........

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Jul 24, 2003
  7. "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > New Zealands Half Life 2 community
    >
    > http://www.hl2.co.nz/
    >
    > The PC that ran the demo's at this years E3 show was a Dell XPS with a
    > 2.8Ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB card, with Anti-aliasing turned off,
    > and anisotropic filtering turned off.
    > The demo was only running at 60fps!!.
    >
    > So that gives you something to go on.

    Final releases are always more efficient than development versions.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 24, 2003
  8. Ali P

    Ben Perston Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    > New Zealands Half Life 2 community
    >
    > http://www.hl2.co.nz/
    >
    > The PC that ran the demo's at this years E3 show was a Dell XPS with a
    > 2.8Ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB card, with Anti-aliasing turned off,
    > and anisotropic filtering turned off.
    > The demo was only running at 60fps!!.
    >
    > So that gives you something to go on.
    >
    > PseUDO

    I'd like to hope that it had vsync enabled and the refresh rate was 60
    Hz :).
    Ben Perston, Jul 25, 2003
  9. "Ben Perston" <> wrote in message
    > PseUDO wrote:
    > > New Zealands Half Life 2 community
    > >
    > > http://www.hl2.co.nz/
    > >
    > > The PC that ran the demo's at this years E3 show was a Dell XPS with a
    > > 2.8Ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB card, with Anti-aliasing turned

    off,
    > > and anisotropic filtering turned off.
    > > The demo was only running at 60fps!!.
    > >
    > > So that gives you something to go on.
    > >
    > > PseUDO

    > I'd like to hope that it had vsync enabled and the refresh rate was 60
    > Hz :).

    Anyone got any screenies?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 25, 2003
  10. Ali P

    L.Ranger Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Anyone got any screenies?

    The movies give a better impression.

    Check in here

    http://tinyurl.com/i3iv
    L.Ranger, Jul 26, 2003
  11. "L.Ranger" <> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyone got any screenies?

    > The movies give a better impression.
    >
    > Check in here
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/i3iv

    I'm on 56k though :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 26, 2003
  12. Ali P

    L.Ranger Guest

    L.Ranger, Jul 26, 2003
  13. Ali P

    Ben Perston Guest

    SNOman wrote:

    > Any idea what the minimum PC specs will be?

    If you check out the Gamespot preview, specifically the final page:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/preview_6026488-5.html

    "That is, the minimum specs for the game should be around a 700MHz
    Pentium III with a TNT graphics card. Valve designed the engine for the
    lowest common denominator because its close ties with the huge community
    of Counter-Strike players gave it the impression that a large number of
    the game's potential fans still have old systems. We ourselves saw the
    game engine running on a 2GHz Pentium 4 machine with a GeForce 4
    card--nothing out of the ordinary--and it performed nicely, with lots of
    realistic lighting and shadow effects, and shaders and bump mapping to
    bring out the detail in the textures."
    Ben Perston, Jul 26, 2003
  14. Ali P

    SNOman Guest

    "k y l e" <> wrote in message
    > "Ben Perston" <> wrote in message
    > > SNOman wrote:
    > >
    > > > Any idea what the minimum PC specs will be?

    > > If you check out the Gamespot preview, specifically the final page:
    > > http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/preview_6026488-5.html
    > >
    > > "That is, the minimum specs for the game should be around a 700MHz
    > > Pentium III with a TNT graphics card. Valve designed the engine for the
    > > lowest common denominator because its close ties with the huge community
    > > of Counter-Strike players gave it the impression that a large number of
    > > the game's potential fans still have old systems. We ourselves saw the
    > > game engine running on a 2GHz Pentium 4 machine with a GeForce 4
    > > card--nothing out of the ordinary--and it performed nicely, with lots of
    > > realistic lighting and shadow effects, and shaders and bump mapping to
    > > bring out the detail in the textures."
    > >

    > Well there's something weird if it won't run on a 2ghz machine. I like how
    > they are calling 700mhz "old" now, lol....a couple of years ago, 700mhz

    was
    > state of the art, and 1ghz was a Rolls Royce rig!

    Geez, I remember when a company I worked for bought an Olivetti 286 for
    $13,000

    SNOman, Jul 28, 2003