    to hear her, assumed it was a prank call and hung up. She called back
    a few minutes later and things were fine.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 10, 2005

  2. Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

    Cocoamum Guest

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht skrev:
    > Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the talk path is half duplex?
    > One of the uses here was complaining that the other side didn't appear
    > to hear her, assumed it was a prank call and hung up. She called back
    > a few minutes later and things were fine.
    >
    > -wolfgang

    Yes - yes - yes.

    I thought it was always like that and that you had to learn to live with it.

    Tine

    Cocoamum, Oct 10, 2005

  3. Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <>
    wrote in message news:
    > Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the talk path is
    > half duplex? One of the uses here was complaining that
    > the other side didn't appear to hear her, assumed it was
    > a prank call and hung up. She called back a few minutes
    > later and things were fine.

    On what system..? It would help if we knew what network and equipment you
    are referring to.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 10, 2005
  4. "Ivor Jones" <> writes:
    > "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    > <>
    > wrote in message news:
    >> Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the talk path is
    >> half duplex? One of the uses here was complaining that
    >> the other side didn't appear to hear her, assumed it was
    >> a prank call and hung up. She called back a few minutes
    >> later and things were fine.

    > On what system..? It would help if we knew what network and equipment you
    > are referring to.

    I was trying to get a feel for how common half-duplex talk paths were
    and perhaps have someone propose a model for why they would happen.
    Embarrassing the SIP gatewaying service I was using wasn't my
    intention. Leaving out voip service provider names, the talk path
    looks like this:

    grandstream_budgetone -> asterisk_current -> VOIP_service_provider

    All devices have routable IP addresses and asterisk is setup to use
    "can-reinvite" to short-circuit the RTP path, allowing both RTP
    endpoints to talk to each other directly.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 11, 2005
  5. Cocoamum <> writes:
    > Wolfgang S. Rupprecht skrev:
    >> Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the talk path is half duplex?
    >> One of the uses here was complaining that the other side didn't appear
    >> to hear her, assumed it was a prank call and hung up. She called back
    >> a few minutes later and things were fine.
    >> -wolfgang

    > Yes - yes - yes.
    >
    > I thought it was always like that and that you had to learn to live with it.

    Thanks! I wasn't sure how common this was. I hadn't heard it
    mentioned yet.

    Seems like this has the potential to really annoy the people being
    called.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 11, 2005
  6. Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

    Cocoamum Guest

    Ivor Jones skrev:
    > "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    > <>
    > wrote in message news:
    >
    >>Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the talk path is
    >>half duplex? One of the uses here was complaining that
    >>the other side didn't appear to hear her, assumed it was
    >>a prank call and hung up. She called back a few minutes
    >>later and things were fine.

    > On what system..? It would help if we knew what network and equipment you
    > are referring to.
    >
    > Ivor

    I'm not very experienced in this. I just downloaded SKYPE, put on a
    headset, paid 10 euro, and started to talk.

    I have an ADSL line with 256/256 speed.

    Is this officially a "talk path" or am I answering the wrong thread?

    Tine, Denmark

    Cocoamum, Oct 11, 2005
  7. Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

    Guest

    I've never come across any VoIP providers that aren't full duplex. Are
    there really providers like this?

    , Oct 12, 2005
  8. Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

    Cocoamum Guest

    skrev:
    > I've never come across any VoIP providers that aren't full duplex. Are
    > there really providers like this?

    In may case it turned out it was my sound board and I didn't know. I
    bought a skype telephone and don't have a problem anymore.

    Tine

    Cocoamum, Oct 12, 2005
  9. writes:
    > I've never come across any VoIP providers that aren't full duplex. Are
    > there really providers like this?

    They are only half-duplex when things are going badly. A second call
    a few minutes later might work fine.

    A second observation is that sometimes the talk path is just slow to
    open. One can hear the other side, but it takes 5-10 seconds or so
    for the other side to start to hear you. Often the other side has
    decided it is a prank phone call and hung up, so it isn't clear if the
    bad calls would have eventually started working.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 12, 2005
  10. Cocoamum <> writes:
    > I have an ADSL line with 256/256 speed.
    >
    > Is this officially a "talk path" or am I answering the wrong thread?

    A "talk path" comes from old telephone jargon where one has two pairs
    of wires used to carry the conversation, one in each direction. Each
    direction is a "talk path". If one pair is broken one party can hear
    the other, but the other can't hear the first. With careful software
    design, this "feature" now appears to be available for VOIP too. ;-)

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 12, 2005