Half Dimdows Machines Infected

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2010.

  1. If you use Microsoft Windows for on-line banking, you’re crazy
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5365>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:52:59 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >If you use Microsoft Windows for on-line banking, you’re crazy
    ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5365>.

    That is Totally Crap and it might work in the US but not here..

    So how do you contact the Phone company here to get the call rerouted..?

    Mine is done via Text..

    Both the banks I use, use 3 levels of security plus one might even have 6 in
    total.

    Mary Hanna, Jan 28, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 28, 7:05 pm, Mary Hanna <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:52:59 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    > >If you use Microsoft Windows for on-line banking, you’re crazy
    > ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5365>.

    > That is Totally Crap  and it might work in the US but not here..

    Do not be so sure.

    > So how do you contact the Phone company here to get the call rerouted..?

    Ring the 'faults' number and ask them nicely. I did this some years
    ago and they did it. Things may be far more bureaucratic now. In USA
    the crooks probably try different regions and companies and find the
    soft touches.

    > Mine is done via Text..

    Tell the phone co you have lost or hopelessly locked a cell phone and
    ask for a redirect. Again some phone companies would be easier
    touches than others.

    If using the 'other' operating system maximum protection is received
    by booting direct from CD or stick.

    peterwn, Jan 28, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 29, 9:25 am, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > 100% of Linux machines are infected, Laz.
    >
    > geoff

    Funny, I have used Linux for internet banking for the last several
    years and no one has drained a cent from my accounts. I was forced to
    do internet banking on a Windows macine recently, and I changed the
    password and second factoe questions as soon as possible afterwatds -
    from a Linux machine of course. And I use a separate 'user' for
    internet banking to guard against 'user space' infections.

    peterwn, Jan 28, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:15:15 -0800, peterwn wrote:

    > On Jan 29, 9:25 am, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >> 100% of Linux machines are infected, Laz.

    > Funny, I have used Linux for internet banking for the last several years
    > and no one has drained a cent from my accounts. I was forced to do
    > internet banking on a Windows macine recently, and I changed the
    > password and second factoe questions as soon as possible afterwatds -
    > from a Linux machine of course. And I use a separate 'user' for
    > internet banking to guard against 'user space' infections.

    Sensible precautions all.

    Sweetpea, Jan 28, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:38:50 -0800 (PST), peterwn <> wrote:

    >On Jan 28, 7:05 pm, Mary Hanna <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:52:59 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >> >If you use Microsoft Windows for on-line banking, you’re crazy
    >> ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5365>.

    >> That is Totally Crap  and it might work in the US but not here..

    >Do not be so sure.
    >

    >> So how do you contact the Phone company here to get the call rerouted..?

    >Ring the 'faults' number and ask them nicely. I did this some years
    >ago and they did it. Things may be far more bureaucratic now. In USA
    >the crooks probably try different regions and companies and find the
    >soft touches.
    >

    >> Mine is done via Text..

    >Tell the phone co you have lost or hopelessly locked a cell phone and
    >ask for a redirect. Again some phone companies would be easier
    >touches than others.
    >
    >If using the 'other' operating system maximum protection is received
    >by booting direct from CD or stick.

    All total crap replies none of that works here..

    Mary Hanna, Jan 29, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On 29 Jan 2010 14:59:53 +1200, vitw <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:52:59 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> If you use Microsoft Windows for on-line banking, you’re crazy
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5365>.

    >Best precaution for windoze users is a linux liveCD.

    Tried them they don't work as you cant add drivers, you have to compile it
    with the drivers, that is for a Navida 3D card, all you get with out the
    driver is VGA mode.

    So how does Mum & Dad do that..

    Lunix is utterly Stupid

    Mary Hanna, Jan 29, 2010