hal.dll, please read

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by wes40oz, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. wes40oz

    wes40oz Guest

    for some reason this file keep getting deleted or corrupted, and wont boot,
    I have actually had to install xp 64 on another drive and copy hal.dll to
    the other windows install (then it works). it is not on the windows xp 64
    OEM cd (using the recovery consol...)

    also, what other files are associated with hal.dll?

    any information on this one, it is annoying... very annoying

    also it seems (since I have duel boot x32 and x64, or tri boot with the
    other x64 XP installed, same license same computer different drive, works
    fine, I wonder if that is legal...) x32 keeps over writing NTLDR and
    NTdetect.com (which results in the error message discussed above
    "ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt please reinstall") and / or killing hal.dll
    every boot (almost it seems) I spent 7 hours last night in the recovery
    consol trying to fix this, I gave up and installed x64 on another drive (I
    have 2 raptors so that worked out well, xp x32 is installed on a 40gb ide
    drive)

    and everything works, but I will have to go back into the recovery consol to
    config the boot.ini since it no longer sees xp x32 anymore. oh god this is
    getting TEDIOUS!

    any help on preventing this in the future, I'll buy you a 6 pack!

    thanks!!!
    --
    Wes Newman
    Seismic Data Processor / IT Manager

    wes40oz, Oct 4, 2005

  2. wes40oz

    John Barnes Guest

    hal.dll is located on the x64 install cd in AMD64\DRIVER.CAB
    When you use copy in recovery console, remember the expand command

    John Barnes, Oct 4, 2005

  3. wes40oz

    Mike M Guest

    Try using a third party boot manager such as BootITNG (www.bootitng.com).
    Not only a boot manager but also supports partition management including
    drive imaging. It also has the nice feature of being able to edit
    boot.ini on any partition so making moving systems between partitions so
    much easier.

    I currently have XP Pro and Pro x64 installed on HD0 (an nForce 4 RAID 0,
    2 x 80GB Seagate SATA II drives), Vista 32 and Vista 64 on HD1 (an 80 GB
    PATA Maxtor, Vista has no nForce RAID drivers as yet) with HD2 a Silicon
    Image RAID 5 drive (4 x 200GB Seagate SATA drives). BING allows me to
    easily boot to whichever system I require.
    --
    Mike Maltby

    Mike M, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Hello John,
    Have to be careful here, there are different hal files so the installed hal
    may be different than the one listed as hal.dll in driver.cab.
    look at the list of the hal*.dll files in the driver.cab file
    The correct hal file is determined at setup time and then renamed to
    hal.dll when it's copied to the system.
    So you have to replace hal.dll with the correct one or the system may not
    work or have other issues later.
    Right-Click on hal.dll that is installed and choose properties to find the
    original name of the file.

    in Recovery Console, Expand is separate command used to extract the file
    from a cab file and place it at a new location.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "John Barnes" <>
    <Subject: Re: hal.dll, please read
    <Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:58:29 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <hal.dll is located on the x64 install cd in AMD64\DRIVER.CAB
    <When you use copy in recovery console, remember the expand command
    <
    <"wes40oz" <> wrote in message
    <>
[...]
    <> 40gb ide drive)
    <>
    <> and everything works, but I will have to go back into the recovery
    consol
    <> to config the boot.ini since it no longer sees xp x32 anymore. oh god
    this
    <> is getting TEDIOUS!
    <>
    <> any help on preventing this in the future, I'll buy you a 6 pack!
    <>
    <> thanks!!!
    <> --

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 4, 2005
  5. So far, on every AMD based system I've seen, it's been "hal.dll" pure and
    simple. Now that may well not be true for multiple processor Opteron
    systems, and I have no idea what EM64T systems have. But for Athlon64 and
    Turion64, it's hal.dll.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 4, 2005
  6. wes40oz

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like your best bet is to put an additional copy in some other folder
    on your x64 system that you can copy over until you solves the problem.
    This would negate the need for the second complete system.

    John Barnes, Oct 4, 2005
  7. Hello,
    Darn it I hate it when John and Charlie are right and I am wrong.
    It looks like we only ship one hal file with x64 and it's always to hal.dll
    Sorry thinking back to the x86 days with multiple hals and I should have
    looked first.
    I stand corrected. My mistake,
    sorry guys.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:11:02 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <So far, on every AMD based system I've seen, it's been "hal.dll" pure and
    <simple. Now that may well not be true for multiple processor Opteron
    <systems, and I have no idea what EM64T systems have. But for Athlon64 and
    <Turion64, it's hal.dll.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
[...]
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "John Barnes" <>
    <> <Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:58:29 -0700
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <hal.dll is located on the x64 install cd in AMD64\DRIVER.CAB
    <> <When you use copy in recovery console, remember the expand command
    <> <
    <> <"wes40oz" <> wrote in message
    <> <news:...
    <> <>
[...]
    <> <> --

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 4, 2005
  8. wes40oz

    John Barnes Guest

    Your help on this site is indispensable ( Darryl and Charlie ) and thanks
    Darryl for correcting my awkward wording of the expand command. I made it
    sound like it was a parameter of the copy command. Even confused me when I
    reread it.

    John Barnes, Oct 4, 2005
  9. I only knew because I had to try to find that little bit of information for
    the BDD project I worked on...

    And we're all here to learn and help, and you're doing plenty of the second.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 4, 2005
  10. wes40oz

    wes40oz Guest

    agreed,

    right now it is stable but I was going to copy the hal file to c: root for
    an easy copy (probably along with NTLDR and
    NTdetect.com)

    also going to try out bootitng tonight see how that goes, eventually I am
    planning on putting Solaris 10 on there, quad boot? if for business
    purposes, since I mainly work with windows xp x32 and various Solaris
    versions (think the current one in our office is 8) in our office, would be
    nice to fool around with also.

    probably end up deleting the second install of xp 64 once I get every thing
    stable. plus my mother board ate shit the other day anyways (ordered
    another, think I voided the warranty by putting thermal epoxy on the NVIDIA
    north bridge to hold on my water cooler, they tend not to like that...)

    thanks for every ones help!!!!

    wes

    ps,

    had the wrond address on a few of the posts so they didnt make it to the
    board... probably went straight to charlie or john

    wes40oz, Oct 4, 2005