hal.dll, please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by wes40oz, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. wes40oz

    wes40oz Guest

    for some reason this file keep getting deleted or corrupted, and wont boot,
    I have actually had to install xp 64 on another drive and copy hal.dll to
    the other windows install (then it works). it is not on the windows xp 64
    OEM cd (using the recovery consol...)

    also, what other files are associated with hal.dll?

    any information on this one, it is annoying... very annoying

    also it seems (since I have duel boot x32 and x64, or tri boot with the
    other x64 XP installed, same license same computer different drive, works
    fine, I wonder if that is legal...) x32 keeps over writing NTLDR and
    NTdetect.com (which results in the error message discussed above
    "ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt please reinstall") and / or killing hal.dll
    every boot (almost it seems) I spent 7 hours last night in the recovery
    consol trying to fix this, I gave up and installed x64 on another drive (I
    have 2 raptors so that worked out well, xp x32 is installed on a 40gb ide
    drive)

    and everything works, but I will have to go back into the recovery consol to
    config the boot.ini since it no longer sees xp x32 anymore. oh god this is
    getting TEDIOUS!

    any help on preventing this in the future, I'll buy you a 6 pack!

    thanks!!!
    --
    Wes Newman
    Seismic Data Processor / IT Manager

    wes40oz, Oct 4, 2005

  2. wes40oz

    John Barnes Guest

    Why don't you search the Windows Knowledge base for the Hardware Abstraction
    Layer - try troubleshooting or issues. It is probably your best bet if the
    file is truly being deleted or corrupted ( you didn't say if it was there ).
    Many times it is a boot.ini problem, but you boot after replacing it, so
    this is not likely.

    John Barnes, Oct 4, 2005