Had to chuckle at this...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. I've been reading the December issue of APC Magazine. On pages 36-37,
    there's a review of the Toshiba Qosmio G10, which appears to be the
    first notebook running Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition.

    Media Center is Microsoft's attempt to sell people home entertainment
    centres running Windows. However:

    Having to wait for a computer to boot each time you want to
    watch the TV or a DVD is incredibly frustrating, so Toshiba has
    worked on building an "instant-on" function into the Qosmio.
    It consists of a Linux-based player that can be accessed by the
    remote control. If the machine is switched on via a special button,
    it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
    CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.

    Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
    all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home entertainment.
    However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a system for bypassing
    it and letting you run _Linux_ to access your home entertainment
    functions instead!

    Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 6, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
    > all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home entertainment.
    > However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a system for bypassing
    > it and letting you run Linux to access your home entertainment
    > functions instead!


    I love it... :) Good story!

    > Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?


    Who cares?

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1248
    ClimatePrediction.net
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/cpdn/stats.php?userID=334
    steve, Dec 6, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In <> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
    wrote:
    > I've been reading the December issue of APC Magazine. On pages 36-37,
    > there's a review of the Toshiba Qosmio G10, which appears to be the
    > first notebook running Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition.
    >
    > Media Center is Microsoft's attempt to sell people home entertainment
    > centres running Windows. However:
    >
    > Having to wait for a computer to boot each time you want to
    > watch the TV or a DVD is incredibly frustrating, so Toshiba has
    > worked on building an "instant-on" function into the Qosmio.
    > It consists of a Linux-based player that can be accessed by the
    > remote control. If the machine is switched on via a special button,
    > it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
    > CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.
    >
    > Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
    > all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home entertainment.
    > However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a system for
    > bypassing it and letting you run _Linux_ to access your home
    > entertainment functions instead!
    >
    > Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?


    They added another OS and software just to get 'instant on'? Why not
    just boot the computer into Windows and then use the sleep function
    instead of shutting it down?

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/
    ________________________________________________________________________
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

    Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
    Roger Johnstone, Dec 6, 2004
    #3
  4. Roger Johnstone said the following on 6/12/2004 11:04 p.m.:
    > In <> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've been reading the December issue of APC Magazine. On pages 36-37,
    >>there's a review of the Toshiba Qosmio G10, which appears to be the
    >>first notebook running Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition.
    >>
    >>Media Center is Microsoft's attempt to sell people home entertainment
    >>centres running Windows. However:
    >>
    >> Having to wait for a computer to boot each time you want to
    >> watch the TV or a DVD is incredibly frustrating, so Toshiba has
    >> worked on building an "instant-on" function into the Qosmio.
    >> It consists of a Linux-based player that can be accessed by the
    >> remote control. If the machine is switched on via a special button,
    >> it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
    >> CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.
    >>
    >>Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
    >>all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home entertainment.
    >>However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a system for
    >>bypassing it and letting you run _Linux_ to access your home
    >>entertainment functions instead!
    >>
    >>Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?

    >
    >
    > They added another OS and software just to get 'instant on'? Why not
    > just boot the computer into Windows and then use the sleep function
    > instead of shutting it down?
    >

    Two Words "Battery Life" and two more "User Friendly"

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    There's nothing like a girl with a plunging neckline to keep a man on
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Dec 6, 2004
    #4
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    macca Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:20:34 +1300, steve
    <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > > Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed

    to give you an
    > > all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home

    entertainment.
    > > However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a

    system for bypassing
    > > it and letting you run Linux to access your home

    entertainment
    > > functions instead!

    >
    > I love it... :) Good story!
    >
    > > Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?

    >
    > Who cares?
    >
    >

    Its an amusing anecdote and a satirical dig at MS for its
    use of another operating system..you do know satire do you
    not.? ahh forget it.!! whoosh!!!
    M
    macca, Dec 6, 2004
    #5
  6. It seems like Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:12:43 +1300 was when Lawrence
    D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> said Blah blah blah...

    > If the machine is switched on via a special button,
    > it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
    > CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.


    You should see how fast my CD player takes to play a CD;)

    Actually, owning a Pocket PC is a pretty neat experience. One thing
    I've never had to do with a Pocket PC is wait. Everything it does is
    instantly. It just doesn't do everything that's all:)
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Dec 6, 2004
    #6
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:40:34 GMT, macca <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:20:34 +1300, steve
    ><> wrote:
    >> Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >> > Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed

    >to give you an
    >> > all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home

    >entertainment.
    >> > However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a

    >system for bypassing
    >> > it and letting you run Linux to access your home

    >entertainment
    >> > functions instead!

    >>
    >> I love it... :) Good story!
    >>
    >> > Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?

    >>
    >> Who cares?
    >>
    >>

    >Its an amusing anecdote and a satirical dig at MS for its
    >use of another operating system..you do know satire do you
    >not.? ahh forget it.!! whoosh!!!
    >M
    >


    He was saying "Who cares?" in regard to "Is that gnashing of teeth I
    hear in Redmond...?" Also, it's not MS using another operating system,
    it's Toshiba. Whoosh!!!

    --
    BOINC SETI
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off
    DoggNZ, Dec 6, 2004
    #7
  8. In <> Collector?NZ wrote:
    > Roger Johnstone said the following on 6/12/2004 11:04 p.m.:
    >> In <> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've been reading the December issue of APC Magazine. On pages 36-37,
    >>>there's a review of the Toshiba Qosmio G10, which appears to be the
    >>>first notebook running Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition.
    >>>
    >>>Media Center is Microsoft's attempt to sell people home entertainment
    >>>centres running Windows. However:
    >>>
    >>> Having to wait for a computer to boot each time you want to
    >>> watch the TV or a DVD is incredibly frustrating, so Toshiba has
    >>> worked on building an "instant-on" function into the Qosmio.
    >>> It consists of a Linux-based player that can be accessed by the
    >>> remote control. If the machine is switched on via a special button,
    >>> it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
    >>> CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.
    >>>
    >>>Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
    >>>all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home
    >>>entertainment. However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a
    >>>system for bypassing it and letting you run _Linux_ to access your
    >>>home entertainment functions instead! Is that gnashing of teeth I
    >>>hear in Redmond...?

    >>
    >>
    >> They added another OS and software just to get 'instant on'? Why not
    >> just boot the computer into Windows and then use the sleep function
    >> instead of shutting it down?
    >>

    > Two Words "Battery Life"


    I suppose it's just the way I use my old laptop. It's a battered old
    PowerBook 5300 (all PB5300s are battered, they're widely regarded as the
    flimsiest, shoddiest product Apple ever made) with the original 5+ year
    old battery, but it still lasts several days when in sleep mode. If I'm
    going to be away from a recharge source for longer than that, then
    what's the point? The average laptop will only be able to watch one DVD
    movie before needing recharged anyway!

    > and two more "User Friendly"


    OK. Windows. You've got me there.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/
    ________________________________________________________________________
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

    Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
    Roger Johnstone, Dec 7, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Scott D
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    429
    Consultant
    Oct 28, 2003
  2. Ron

    Morning Chuckle

    Ron, Apr 9, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    715
  3. Ken Briscoe

    OT: Tuesday Chuckle

    Ken Briscoe, Aug 17, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    400
  4. lifestylelink
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    653
    Ponder
    Aug 12, 2006
  5. otter

    Re: I had to chuckle

    otter, Jan 10, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    298
    Wilba
    Jan 11, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page