    right, this happened with the HD i replaced, and it now runs fine in my dads
    comp, which has a 400w psu, hence me replacing mine, i really am out of
    ideas, totally pissed off at money spent

    Isildur, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Isildur

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:boj1dv$bkb$,
    Isildur <> wrote these words:

    | my hard drive makes a clunk noise or a halt noise when booting or
    | running things, so far i've got a new motherboard HARD DRIVE, cpu,
    | graphics card, PSU 400watt (today) and it STILL makes the noise, it's
    | as if it suddenly halts then carries on, i can run my machine fairly
    | ok but i know it isn't right, this happened with the HD i replaced,
    | and it now runs fine in my dads comp, which has a 400w psu, hence me
    | replacing mine, i really am out of ideas, totally pissed off at money
    | spent

    You must have consulted Gerry Nance - (Throw money at a fault, and
    eventually you will replace the faulty bit).

    Seriously though, you are running out of mechanical components which
    could possibly cause such a noise. About all you have left is the
    floppy drive, CD-ROM or burner, and CPU and case fans, if any.

    I can only suggest taking the cover of the computer and waiting until
    the noise starts again and try and narrow it down to the faulty
    component. My guess would be the floppy drive.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > In news:boj1dv$bkb$,
    > Isildur <> wrote these words:
    >
    > | my hard drive makes a clunk noise or a halt noise when booting or
    > | running things, so far i've got a new motherboard HARD DRIVE, cpu,
    > | graphics card, PSU 400watt (today) and it STILL makes the noise, it's
    > | as if it suddenly halts then carries on, i can run my machine fairly
    > | ok but i know it isn't right, this happened with the HD i replaced,
    > | and it now runs fine in my dads comp, which has a 400w psu, hence me
    > | replacing mine, i really am out of ideas, totally pissed off at money
    > | spent
    >
    > You must have consulted Gerry Nance - (Throw money at a fault, and
    > eventually you will replace the faulty bit).
    >
    > Seriously though, you are running out of mechanical components which
    > could possibly cause such a noise. About all you have left is the
    > floppy drive, CD-ROM or burner, and CPU and case fans, if any.
    >
    > I can only suggest taking the cover of the computer and waiting until
    > the noise starts again and try and narrow it down to the faulty
    > component. My guess would be the floppy drive.

    floppy drive was removed long ago, the noise definately comes from the hard
    drive, i've also tried different roms, cd-rw has been removed also

    Isildur, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Isildur

    Michael-NC Guest

    It's entirely possible to get a "bad" new hard drive. Download the
    diagnostics form the manufacturer of the hard drive and run the tests.

    Michael-NC, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Isildur

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:boj4ss$3c4$,
    Isildur <> wrote these words:

    | "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    || In news:boj1dv$bkb$,
    || Isildur <> wrote these words:
    ||| my hard drive makes a clunk noise or a halt noise when booting or
    ||| running things, so far i've got a new motherboard HARD DRIVE, cpu,
    ||| graphics card, PSU 400watt (today) and it STILL makes the noise,
    ||| it's as if it suddenly halts then carries on, i can run my machine
    ||| fairly ok but i know it isn't right, this happened with the HD i
    ||| replaced, and it now runs fine in my dads comp, which has a 400w
    ||| psu, hence me replacing mine, i really am out of ideas, totally
    ||| pissed off at money spent
    || You must have consulted Gerry Nance - (Throw money at a fault, and
    || eventually you will replace the faulty bit).
    || Seriously though, you are running out of mechanical components which
    || could possibly cause such a noise. About all you have left is the
    || floppy drive, CD-ROM or burner, and CPU and case fans, if any.
    || I can only suggest taking the cover of the computer and waiting until
    || the noise starts again and try and narrow it down to the faulty
    || component. My guess would be the floppy drive.
    | floppy drive was removed long ago, the noise definately comes from
    | the hard drive, i've also tried different roms, cd-rw has been
    | removed also

    That seems doubly odd then, because you virtually have a new computer.
    New power supply, motherboard, CPU, hard drive, different CD-ROM, no
    floppy, and the old drive works fine in another computer.

    I would like to be able to hear the sound it makes.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 8, 2003
  6. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > It's entirely possible to get a "bad" new hard drive.

    I don't think that is the case, as the old hard drive did exactly the same
    thing and is fine, in another computer

    Isildur, Nov 9, 2003
  7. Isildur

    > In news:boj4ss$3c4$,
    > Isildur <> wrote these words:
    >
    > | "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > || You must have consulted Gerry Nance - (Throw money at a fault, and
    > || eventually you will replace the faulty bit).
    > || Seriously though, you are running out of mechanical components which
    > || could possibly cause such a noise. About all you have left is the
    > || floppy drive, CD-ROM or burner, and CPU and case fans, if any.
    > || I can only suggest taking the cover of the computer and waiting until
    > || the noise starts again and try and narrow it down to the faulty
    > || component. My guess would be the floppy drive.
    > | floppy drive was removed long ago, the noise definately comes from
    > | the hard drive, i've also tried different roms, cd-rw has been
    > | removed also
    >
    > That seems doubly odd then, because you virtually have a new computer.
    > New power supply, motherboard, CPU, hard drive, different CD-ROM, no
    > floppy, and the old drive works fine in another computer.
    >
    > I would like to be able to hear the sound it makes.

    It's like it suddenly gets interrupted when it's loading something etc
    basically when it starts having to work, i'll try and record the sound it
    makes

    Isildur, Nov 9, 2003
  8. Isildur

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:bol3tn$17o$,
    Isildur <> wrote these words:

    | It's like it suddenly gets interrupted when it's loading something etc
    | basically when it starts having to work, i'll try and record the
    | sound it makes

    I guess we will have to wait and see what DeMon has to say when he hears
    the sound!

    It has me puzzled that all those items can be replaced, and one of the
    replacements has exactly the same fault as the original. It is not
    unusual, but still a big coincidence.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus