    Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me what
    they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.

    suggestions?
    cowboyz, Feb 24, 2005

  2. On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:29:49 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software like
    > that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with photoshop
    > (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep the aspect
    > ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for me.
    > Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me what
    > they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.
    >
    > suggestions?

    MS Paint
    wogers nemesis, Feb 24, 2005

  3. cowboyz

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Re: had a play with the kodak photo machine in town today. Softwarethat is as good as that?

    cowboyz wrote:
    > If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software like
    > that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with photoshop
    > (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep the aspect
    > ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for me.
    > Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me what
    > they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.
    >
    > suggestions?

    Picasa2. Excellent software. Easy to use for non technical users who
    just want their photos.

    Without exception, everyone I have shown this to has been really
    impressed, and they've tended to be just starting in digital photography.

    Only a 3MB download, too.
    -=rjh=-, Feb 24, 2005
  4. cowboyz

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:29:49 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software like
    > that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with photoshop
    > (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep the aspect
    > ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for me.
    > Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me what
    > they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.
    >
    > suggestions?

    Abode photo elements, (I thinks is called that) the stripped down version
    of photoshop.

    Then again there is many simpler programmes for digital imagaing. There is
    a French one photo Libeter Something like that.

    Ifran, a very fast graphics viewer for windows does some image
    manipulation.
    Gordon, Feb 24, 2005
  5. cowboyz

    Mike Dee Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cvjl7v$k03$:

    > Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for me.
    > Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and
    > show me what they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.

    Which version of Photoshop you using?

    --
    Wo es ermittlung gibt, gibt es möglichkeit.

    dee
    Mike Dee, Feb 24, 2005
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:29:49 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software
    >> like
    >> that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with
    >> photoshop
    >> (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep the aspect
    >> ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for
    >> me.
    >> Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me
    >> what
    >> they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.
    >>
    >> suggestions?

    > MS Paint

    No. just no.. Oh why did I even bother replying... Thats 16 seconds of my
    life Im not going to get back.
    cowboyz, Feb 24, 2005
  7. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software
    >> like that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with
    >> photoshop (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep
    >> the aspect ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too
    >> complicated for me. Just want some nice easy software that can
    >> crop/rotate pics and show me what they would look like if printed as a
    >> 6x4 photo.
    >>
    >> suggestions?
    >>

    > Picasa2. Excellent software. Easy to use for non technical users who just
    > want their photos.
    >
    > Without exception, everyone I have shown this to has been really
    > impressed, and they've tended to be just starting in digital photography.
    >
    > Only a 3MB download, too.

    sounds good. Thanx.. downloading it now. Since I originally posted I
    found an app called fxfoto which is not bad. Quite good for organizing
    photos, nice interface but still not quite there in the edit department.
    cowboyz, Feb 24, 2005
  8. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cvjl7v$k03$:
    >
    >> Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for me.
    >> Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and
    >> show me what they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.

    > Which version of Photoshop you using?
    >
    > --
    > Wo es ermittlung gibt, gibt es möglichkeit.
    >
    > dee

    7 Don't use it bugger all cause I don't like it. It is just too ....
    something.... or I am just not smart enough.

    Pain working with 20 photos too.
    cowboyz, Feb 24, 2005
  9. cowboyz

    xlo Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software like
    > that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with photoshop
    > (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep the aspect
    > ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for me.
    > Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me what
    > they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.
    >
    > suggestions?

    This may be a bit more than you need, but a nice program, free for
    non-commercial use.

    http://www.photofiltre.com/
    xlo, Feb 24, 2005
  10. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "xlo" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software
    >> like that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with
    >> photoshop (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep
    >> the aspect ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too
    >> complicated for me. Just want some nice easy software that can
    >> crop/rotate pics and show me what they would look like if printed as a
    >> 6x4 photo.
    >>
    >> suggestions?
    >>

    > This may be a bit more than you need, but a nice program, free for
    > non-commercial use.
    >
    > http://www.photofiltre.com/

    Thanx. Im looking at a couple but picasa2 is very very good. I'll still
    check out your suggestion, thanx
    cowboyz, Feb 24, 2005
  11. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software
    >> like that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with
    >> photoshop (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep
    >> the aspect ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too
    >> complicated for me. Just want some nice easy software that can
    >> crop/rotate pics and show me what they would look like if printed as a
    >> 6x4 photo.
    >>
    >> suggestions?
    >>

    > Picasa2. Excellent software. Easy to use for non technical users who just
    > want their photos.
    >
    > Without exception, everyone I have shown this to has been really
    > impressed, and they've tended to be just starting in digital photography.
    >
    > Only a 3MB download, too.

    Brilliant. loving it. Thanx for the suggestion. Very easy to use and
    does exactly what I wanted.
    cowboyz, Feb 24, 2005
  12. cowboyz

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software
    >>>like that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with
    >>>photoshop (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep
    >>>the aspect ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too
    >>>complicated for me. Just want some nice easy software that can
    >>>crop/rotate pics and show me what they would look like if printed as a
    >>>6x4 photo.
    >>>
    >>>suggestions?
    >>>

    >>Picasa2. Excellent software. Easy to use for non technical users who just
    >>want their photos.
    >>
    >>Without exception, everyone I have shown this to has been really
    >>impressed, and they've tended to be just starting in digital photography.
    >>
    >>Only a 3MB download, too.

    > Brilliant. loving it. Thanx for the suggestion. Very easy to use and
    > does exactly what I wanted.

    I'm finding that I use Picasa a lot, some of its harder to find features
    are quite good, too. It is one of the few apps I have that will accept
    multiple scans (from scanning a negative strip) in one go. The Timeline
    feature is really neat.

    I also regularly use: The Gimp, Photofiltre, Irfanview and Photoshop
    Elements, and they are all good for different tasks, but from your
    description of your requirements (mostly management with some
    manipulation) Picasa should be pretty well spot on.

    Ideal to show people who have just bought their first digital camera
    (and that seems to be a lot of people that I know). A word of warning
    though, if you install it on somebody else's PC for them - on
    installation it will search for and build an image library of images on
    the PC; this can be embarrasing :)
    -=rjh=-, Feb 24, 2005
  13. cowboyz

    PaT_mcG Guest

    http://www.picasa.com/

    got to say best little bit of software i seen for a while and its free.

    PaT_mcG, Feb 24, 2005
  14. cowboyz

    Adder Guest

    Re: had a play with the kodak photo machine in town today. Softwarethat is as good as that?

    In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 24 Feb
    2005 17:48:30 +1300, -=rjh=- <> says...
    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software like
    > > that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with photoshop
    > > (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep the aspect
    > > ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for me.
    > > Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me what
    > > they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.
    > >
    > > suggestions?
    > >

    > Picasa2. Excellent software. Easy to use for non technical users who
    > just want their photos.
    >
    > Without exception, everyone I have shown this to has been really
    > impressed, and they've tended to be just starting in digital photography.
    >
    > Only a 3MB download, too.

    nuh

    it REQUIERS MS IE
    Adder, Feb 24, 2005
  15. Re: had a play with the kodak photo machine in town today. Software that is as good as that?

    > Picasa2. Excellent software. Easy to use for non technical users who
    > just want their photos.
    >
    > Without exception, everyone I have shown this to has been really
    > impressed, and they've tended to be just starting in digital

    photography.

    > Only a 3MB download, too.

    I've had a quick look at it, seems pretty good. Only thing is, why do
    some of the folders repeat? I think it's the just whatever's in the My
    Documents and My Pictures folders. I know they show up twice in
    Explorer and that My Documents and My Pictures are just shortcuts to
    other folders, but you'd think Picasa would only show one instance of
    them.

    Andrew
    Andrew Gerald, Feb 24, 2005
  16. cowboyz

    Adder wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 24 Feb
    > 2005 17:48:30 +1300, -=rjh=- <> says...
    >
    >>cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software like
    >>>that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with photoshop
    >>>(which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep the aspect
    >>>ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for me.
    >>>Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me what
    >>>they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.
    >>>
    >>>suggestions?
    >>>

    >>Picasa2. Excellent software. Easy to use for non technical users who
    >>just want their photos.
    >>
    >>Without exception, everyone I have shown this to has been really
    >>impressed, and they've tended to be just starting in digital photography.
    >>
    >>Only a 3MB download, too.

    > nuh
    >
    > it REQUIERS MS IE

    Well, it requires Windows, too. What's your point?
    -=rjh=-, Feb 24, 2005
  17. cowboyz

    Adder Guest

    Re: had a play with the kodak photo machine in town today. Softwarethatis as good as that?

    In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 24 Feb
    2005 23:14:30 +1300, -=rjh=- <> says...
    > Adder wrote:
    > > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 24 Feb
    > > 2005 17:48:30 +1300, -=rjh=- <> says...

    > >>Picasa2. Excellent software. Easy to use for non technical users who
    > >>just want their photos.
    > >>
    > >>Without exception, everyone I have shown this to has been really
    > >>impressed, and they've tended to be just starting in digital photography.
    > >>
    > >>Only a 3MB download, too.

    > > nuh
    > >
    > > it REQUIERS MS IE
    > >

    > Well, it requires Windows, too. What's your point?

    it sjould not be using a MS Activex control that is browser proprietray
    Adder, Feb 24, 2005
  18. cowboyz

    Jedmeister Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:29:49 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software
    >> like
    >> that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with
    >> photoshop
    >> (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep the aspect
    >> ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for
    >> me.
    >> Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me
    >> what
    >> they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.
    >>
    >> suggestions?

    > Abode photo elements, (I thinks is called that) the stripped down version
    > of photoshop.
    >
    > Then again there is many simpler programmes for digital imagaing. There is
    > a French one photo Libeter Something like that.
    >
    > Ifran, a very fast graphics viewer for windows does some image
    > manipulation.

    I don't know if picasa 2 will handle RAW from my Nikon d70.

    The new photoshop elements 3.0 looks good , i might try the demo.
    Jedmeister, Feb 24, 2005
  19. cowboyz

    Nelly Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:48:30 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >cowboyz wrote:
    >> If you have used one you'll know what I mean, I would like software like
    >> that used in the kodak machines. The biggest problem I have with photoshop
    >> (which is what I am using now) is that it is difficult to keep the aspect
    >> ratio. Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for me.
    >> Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics and show me what
    >> they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.
    >>
    >> suggestions?
    >>

    >Picasa2. Excellent software. Easy to use for non technical users who
    >just want their photos.
    >
    >Without exception, everyone I have shown this to has been really
    >impressed, and they've tended to be just starting in digital photography.
    >
    >Only a 3MB download, too.

    Awesome software, thanks for that.

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)
    Nelly, Feb 25, 2005
  20. cowboyz

    Mike Dee Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cvjrlt$ocv$:

    > "Mike Dee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Actually photoshop as a whole is just far too complicated for
    >>> me. Just want some nice easy software that can crop/rotate pics
    >>> and show me what they would look like if printed as a 6x4 photo.

    >> Which version of Photoshop you using?

    > 7 Don't use it bugger all cause I don't like it. It is just too
    > .... something.... or I am just not smart enough.

    I use an earlier version, but I guess it's much the same.
    Select area you want to crop to using 'Marquee Tool', click on 'Image'
    menu, choose 'Crop'.
    Click 'Image' menu again, go down to 'Rotate Canvas' sub menu, choose
    'Arbitary' if you don't want standard 90 or 180 deg flips.
    Click 'Image' menu again, choose "Image Size".
    In Image size dialog, for Print Size, click the 'Resample Image' check
    box to put a tick into it, then depending on the orientation of the
    image, type 6 [inches setting] into the 'width' or 'height' field. You
    won't get 6x4 exactly unless you were really lucky with the Marquee
    tool before cropping, but resulting image will print out at that 6 x
    whatever size.

    > Pain working with 20 photos too.

    For easier software, use Paintshop Pro, which as well as editing
    photos, has an excellent photo browser built in, giving you quick
    access to several images at same time (as many images as you can stuff
    into a folder, basically).

    Good luck.

    Mike Dee, Feb 25, 2005