Hack that GH2!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Nov 11, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Nov 11, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Nov 11, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Bruce <> wrote in
    >
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>>No doubt Panasonic didn't allow this because you can't do that and
    >>>expect to sell old-school $2000 video cameras if the little GH2 does a
    >>>better job.
    >>>http://www.eoshd.com/content/5248/latest-gh2-hack-unlocks-stunning-iso-
    >>>12800-with-film-like-grain

    >> Funny how "film-like grain" gets oohs and aahs from those who shoot
    >> video, but is a near-complete turn-off for stills shooters. ;-)
    >>

    >Well, now that movies in theatres have gone almost completely digital, I
    >feel no loss. I hated the (especially toward the end) problems films
    >had, with inconsistent colour from reel to reel to irregular illumination
    >caused by density variations in the film to dirt to horrible grain in
    >dark scenes. Some video shooters are stuck in the past, with their
    >horrible 24fps speeds they remind me of people who don't realize the 3:2
    >format of 35mm sensors should be gone in favour of something better
    >suited to the needs of shooters.

    Ironically, the 3:2 format is superior to the 4:3 format when it comes
    to using the same sensor for 16:9 video, because more of the sensor is
    usable.

    I still own, but no longer use, a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX2 which has a
    10 MP 16:9 sensor. I found it a pleasure to use. The 4:3 sensor in
    my Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G3 is much more limiting.

    Not everyone prefers 4:3 to 3:2.
    Bruce, Nov 12, 2011
  4. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:03:22 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    : Bruce <> wrote in
    : news:p:
    :
    : > RichA <> wrote:
    : >>No doubt Panasonic didn't allow this because you can't do that and
    : >>expect to sell old-school $2000 video cameras if the little GH2 does a
    : >>better job.
    : >>http://www.eoshd.com/content/5248/latest-gh2-hack-unlocks-stunning-iso-
    : >>12800-with-film-like-grain
    : >
    : >
    : > Funny how "film-like grain" gets oohs and aahs from those who shoot
    : > video, but is a near-complete turn-off for stills shooters. ;-)
    : >
    : >
    :
    : Well, now that movies in theatres have gone almost completely digital, I
    : feel no loss. I hated the (especially toward the end) problems films
    : had, with inconsistent colour from reel to reel to irregular illumination
    : caused by density variations in the film to dirt to horrible grain in
    : dark scenes. Some video shooters are stuck in the past, with their
    : horrible 24fps speeds they remind me of people who don't realize the 3:2
    : format of 35mm sensors should be gone in favour of something better
    : suited to the needs of shooters.

    One irritant I haven't seen for a while is old silent movies, notably WW1
    newsreels, that were shot at an older, slower frame rate (18 fps maybe?) and
    played back at 24 fps, resulting in all motion being jerky and unnaturally
    fast.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Nov 12, 2011
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 12, 10:58 am, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:03:22 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    >
    > : Bruce <> wrote in
    > :news:p:
    > :
    > : > RichA <> wrote:
    > : >>No doubt Panasonic didn't allow this because you can't do that and
    > : >>expect to sell old-school $2000 video cameras if the little GH2 does a
    > : >>better job.
    > : >>http://www.eoshd.com/content/5248/latest-gh2-hack-unlocks-stunning-iso-
    > : >>12800-with-film-like-grain
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > Funny how "film-like grain" gets oohs and aahs from those who shoot
    > : > video, but is a near-complete turn-off for stills shooters.  ;-)
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > : Well, now that movies in theatres have gone almost completely digital, I
    > : feel no loss.  I hated the (especially toward the end) problems films
    > : had, with inconsistent colour from reel to reel to irregular illumination
    > : caused by density variations in the film to dirt to horrible grain in
    > : dark scenes. Some video shooters are stuck in the past, with their
    > : horrible 24fps speeds they remind me of people who don't realize the 3:2
    > : format of 35mm sensors should be gone in favour of something better
    > : suited to the needs of shooters.
    >
    > One irritant I haven't seen for a while is old silent movies, notably WW1
    > newsreels, that were shot at an older, slower frame rate (18 fps maybe?) and
    > played back at 24 fps, resulting in all motion being jerky and unnaturally
    > fast.
    >
    > Bob

    Same thing happens with video shot at that stupid 24fps. The moment
    there is any movement in the scene, it just blurs. Maybe the average
    person simply doesn't see it, but it drives me crazy when watching a
    movie. I hope they go 60fps and never look back.
    RichA, Nov 14, 2011