    64 bits.

    Regards,
    L. Weiss.
    Leonardo Weiss Ferreira Chaves, Sep 21, 2005

  2. We have been specifically warned against this by MS folks here. I don't have
    the exact quote available, but it was along the lines of "bad things will
    happen". As I recall, it included potential corruption of the OE database.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Just wait until Office 12 comes out which will be 64 bit native and will
    utilize the spell checker then. In the meantime, just copy the e-mail text
    into Word and run a spell check.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 22, 2005
  4. Hi,

    I have just been copying my OE databases from one OS to another without ever
    having problems. My current OE databases already ran on Windows 2000,
    Windows XP 32-bit and now run on Windows XP 64-bit... I don't see why they
    should not work on 32-bit OE again.

    Bye,
    L. Weiss.

    Leonardo Weiss Ferreira Chaves, Sep 22, 2005
  5. Hello Leonardo,
    It's not that they won't run, it's the existence of both 32-bit and 64-bit
    OE.
    There are problems with running both 32-bit and 64-bit OE on the same
    system.
    Since most of the entry points in the system currently point to 64-bit,
    when any of those entry points are started 64-bit OE is started rather than
    32-bit OE.
    If 32-bit OE is running of if 32-bit OE is started after 64-bit OE is
    running, it is likely that OE will crash, taking both down.
    Because there are issues with both 32-bit and 64-bit OE running and the
    entry points cannot ensure that only one is used, 32-bit OE was moved to a
    stub program that calls 64-bit OE.
    So "hacking" 32-bit OE back in is a bad thing to do.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Leonardo Weiss Ferreira Chaves" <>
    <Subject: Re: Hack for spell-checking in OE.
    <Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:32:10 +0200
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Hi,
    <
    <I have just been copying my OE databases from one OS to another without
    ever
    <having problems. My current OE databases already ran on Windows 2000,
    <Windows XP 32-bit and now run on Windows XP 64-bit... I don't see why they
    <should not work on 32-bit OE again.
    <
    <Bye,
    <L. Weiss.
    <
    <"Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    <> We have been specifically warned against this by MS folks here. I don't
    <> have the exact quote available, but it was along the lines of "bad
    things
    <> will happen". As I recall, it included potential corruption of the OE
    <> database.
    <>
    <> --
    <> Charlie.
    <> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>
    <> Leonardo Weiss Ferreira Chaves wrote:
    <>> Hi,
    <>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 22, 2005
  6. Leonardo Weiss Ferreira Chaves

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Andre:

    Thank you for agreeing with what I have posted earlier about
    using Word for the "Spell Check". Others flamed me because it was too much
    work. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Sep 22, 2005
  7. Thanks, Darrell. I knew it was a "bad thing", but couldn't find your earlier
    post on it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  8. Too much work just to open an application? Imagine using a dictionary (the
    real thing), sometimes we need to think about where we are coming from.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 22, 2005
  9. heck, it's what I do. PITA, but if I'm not sure, I open Word.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Dennis Pack wrote:
    > Andre:
    >
    > Thank you for agreeing with what I have posted earlier about
    > using Word for the "Spell Check". Others flamed me because it was too much
    > work. Have a great day.

    >> Just wait until Office 12 comes out which will be 64 bit native and will
    >> utilize the spell checker then. In the meantime, just copy the e-mail
    >> text into Word and run a spell check.
    >> --
    >> Andre
    >> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >>
    >> "Leonardo Weiss Ferreira Chaves" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> like most of you guys I noticed spell-checking doesn't work in Outlook
    >>> Express under 64 bit. Windows XP 64 also has a 32-bit Outlook Express,
    >>> but it still doesn't work because the EXE is modified to use a 64-bit
    >>> dictionary (if you launch it you'll notice two msimn.exe processes, one
    >>> in 32-bit and one in 64-bit).
    >>>
    >>> A simple workaround for this problem is to copy the MSIMN.EXE from a
    >>> 32-bit Windows XP in the same directory as the 32-bit OE from Windows XP
    >>> 64. You should rename the file before copying it, I called mine
    >>> msimn_32.exe, else windows will restore the original file.
    >>>
    >>> Now you just need to execute the new (e.g. file msimn_32.exe) and OE
    >>> will work with your 32-bit spell-checking software. The other stuff
    >>> stays the same, i.e. you'll have access to your normal mails and
    >>> address book from OE 64 bits.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> L. Weiss.
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  10. I use the Encarta Dictionary. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 22, 2005