Hack can upgrade XP Home to XP Pro Lite???

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?0KHQsNGI0LA=?=, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?0KHQsNGI0LA=?=, Jun 11, 2005

  2. This is a "hack" and it really has nothing to do with XP Pro x64 since it
    deals with turning a 32 bit OS into a sub set of another 32 bit OS. If you
    had posted a link to how you can turn XP Home into a 64 bit OS, this thread
    would probably have a million post right now.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 12, 2005

  3. WinXP Promise SATA 378 64 bit driver

    Does anyone have a working 64 bit driver for the Promise WinXP SATA 378 IDE
    controller ? Thanks in advance.......Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUgaC4=?=, Jun 12, 2005
  4. "????" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hack can upgrade XP Home to XP Pro Lite??? rely???
    > Post from http://www.toclick.net/eng

    Why did you post this to this group?
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 12, 2005
  5. Re: WinXP Promise SATA 378 64 bit driver

    steve h. <> wrote:
    > Does anyone have a working 64 bit driver for the Promise WinXP SATA
    > 378 IDE controller ? Thanks in advance.......Steve

    Hi Steve,

    No, not so far, you have to try a raid with a single disk. I have the same
    problem.
    If your mobo is an ASUS, try the via sata in place of the promise.

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 12, 2005
  6. Yeah, it has nothing to do with the original post.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 12, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?0KHQsNGI0LA=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:56:14 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    <> wrote:

    >Yeah, it has nothing to do with the original post.

    I'm waiting for a hack to get my Windows 95 64-bit.
    Let me know about that one!

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?0KHQsNGI0LA=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Jud Hendrix" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:56:14 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah, it has nothing to do with the original post.

    > I'm waiting for a hack to get my Windows 95 64-bit.
    > Let me know about that one!
    >
    > jud

    XP Pro Lite? What size batteries does it take...C or D?

    even after all the years I have spent reading posts in these newsgroups, it
    is still refreshing to know that there are totally clueless people out
    there...XP Pro Lite...get a life...

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 13, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?0KHQsNGI0LA=?=

    Ian Guest

    > "Jud Hendrix" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:56:14 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Yeah, it has nothing to do with the original post.

    > > I'm waiting for a hack to get my Windows 95 64-bit.
    > > Let me know about that one!
    > >
    > > jud
    > >

    > XP Pro Lite? What size batteries does it take...C or D?
    >
    > even after all the years I have spent reading posts in these newsgroups,

    it
    > is still refreshing to know that there are totally clueless people out
    > there...XP Pro Lite...get a life...
    >
    > Bobby

    "XP Pro Lite"
    hummm...
    Hey! Maybe it'll be a 1/3 less filling.
    Ian, Jun 13, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?0KHQsNGI0LA=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:20:41 -0700, "Ian" <>
    wrote:

    >"XP Pro Lite"
    >hummm...
    >Hey! Maybe it'll be a 1/3 less filling.

    Well, Europeans will get their Windows-lite
    in the form of Windows XP N.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2005
  11. Actually XP Lite does exist, but it is called Windows XP Starter Edition and
    is sold in developing countries only.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  12. Actually, there is, NT for Alpha, PowerPC and MIPS. It has exactly the same
    interface as 95.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?0KHQsNGI0LA=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:27:03 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    <> wrote:

    >Actually, there is, NT for Alpha, PowerPC and MIPS. It has exactly the same
    >interface as 95.

    Will it run on my AMD64?

    jud

    (just kidding :) )
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?0KHQsNGI0LA=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:26:09 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
    <> wrote:

    >Actually XP Lite does exist, but it is called Windows XP Starter Edition and
    >is sold in developing countries only.

    Windows N will be a lot more space effective as well. You don't have
    the integration of WMP and IE anymore, so there is no need to install
    them.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2005
  15. The point of XP N is useless, European computer users are sensible, they
    will just download back WMP 10 and it will be same again. And I think both
    iterations of the XP sold in Europe will be still sold, meaning you can
    decide whether you want the one with WMP or not. OEM's in Europe will also
    purposely not offer it with Computer purchases.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  16. Looks to me like the post was about XP Pro lite, which like 98lite is a
    skimming of non-essential components, and possible subsitution, so as to
    reduce footprint and opt-out of certain resource hogs :
    http://www.litepc.com/

    My take on this is that x64 editions are built on the 5.2 codebase (unlike
    XP IA32 editions, based on 5.1) , and Litepc has not released a product for
    5.2 yet.

    Same story concerning XPE x64 (embedded), as Microsoft still thinks embedded
    OS are only for vertical markets, and possibly a general purpose embedded OS
    would be too stable, thus not pleasing shareholders...
    OTOH , looks like Windows PE x64 (bootable pre-execution environment , like
    ERD commander in IA32) is feasible.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 15, 2005
  17. There is an article on this by Bink, its a lean clien called Eiger:
    http://bink.nu/Article4016.bink

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 16, 2005