Ha -- how would you like to work for EA?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughin, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Nik Coughin wrote:
    >> Dubious though some of Microsoft's business practises may be, at
    >> least they don't treat their employees like this:
    >> http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/
    >> http://www.livejournal.com/users/joestraitiff/

    >> Nice one Electronic Arts.

    > I decided a while back to no longer buy EA titles because of this.
    > Pirate them yes, but not buy.

    When they have a 50% staff turnover, you can hardly claim that piracy of
    their product takes food off the tables of programmers' families. How bad
    can you feel about "stealing" an intangible product from worthless,
    unethical corporate middlemen who live off the fruits of others' labour and
    create nothing -- not only that, but who take the vast bulk of that fruit.
    Plus, how many games series have they taken over and subsequently fucked,
    such as Ultima? Unfortunately there will always be a place for companies
    like this and they will always thrive under current market conditions,
    because Joe Apathy Public will always buy their crap regardless. </rant>

    Nik Coughin, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Nik Coughin

    JedMeister Guest

    "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Dubious though some of Microsoft's business practises may be, at least
    > they don't treat their employees like this:
    >
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/joestraitiff/
    >
    > Nice one Electronic Arts.

    I worked for a bad company once - at this particular company there seemed to
    be a culture of hysterical female managers. It would have been quite amusing
    if it were a movie.

    Of course, I no longer accept hysterics , being a little older now.

    JedMeister, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Nik Coughin

    Tiddlywink Guest

    > Dubious though some of Microsoft's business practises may be, at least
    > they don't treat their employees like this:
    >
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/joestraitiff/
    >
    > Nice one Electronic Arts.

    I see in the EA legal notices that they license the All Black name logo
    etc... from the NZRFU so the NZRFU
    are making money out of the way EA are treating some/all? employees. Cant
    see them treating staff like this
    over just one project, would imagine it is the model for all projects.

    Tiddlywink, Nov 29, 2004
  6. JedMeister wrote:
    > I worked for a bad company once - at this particular company there seemed to
    > be a culture of hysterical female managers. It would have been quite amusing
    > if it were a movie.

    you used to work at my work?
    /joke... but only just

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  7. Nik Coughin

    Dave Taylor Guest

    > Dubious though some of Microsoft's business practises may be, at least
    > they don't treat their employees like this:
    >
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/joestraitiff/
    >
    > Nice one Electronic Arts.

    I went to school with someone who worked there. He said, (a few years
    ago), that it was rough if you were green and didn't say no to crap in your
    contract. That said, EA experience on your CV looks like what? Probably
    pretty good...

    On a related topic, does anyone remember that they are old school... They
    made games for the C64, so did you really expect them to be like joe down
    the street in their employee relations?
    Read those contracts people.
    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 30, 2004
  8. Nik Coughin

    steve Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:

    > Dubious though some of Microsoft's business practises may be, at least
    > they don't treat their employees like this:
    >
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/joestraitiff/
    >
    > Nice one Electronic Arts.

    My cousin, Bryce, works for EA in Vancouver.

    I must ask him what his view is.....

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home