Ha ha! iPhone 5's HORRIBLE chromatic aberration issue

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 8, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 8, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    David Taylor Guest

    Re: Ha ha! iPhone 5's HORRIBLE chromatic aberration non-issue

    On 08/10/2012 22:37, RichA wrote:
    > Glad to see. The question is, can the Applesheep see chromatic
    > aberration, or do they only see in black and white?
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/tech/mobile/iphone-5-purple-haze/index.html?hpt=hp_c1


    The photos shown have nothing to do with chromatic aberration. The
    iPhone5 is hardly the first camera showing stray light effects, nor will
    it be the last. Even some metal DSLR lenses suffer from the problem!
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
     
    David Taylor, Oct 9, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Ha ha! iPhone 5's HORRIBLE chromatic aberration non-issue

    On Oct 9, 2:52 am, David Taylor <david-
    > wrote:
    > On 08/10/2012 22:37, RichA wrote:
    >
    > > Glad to see.  The question is, can the Applesheep see chromatic
    > > aberration, or do they only see in black and white?

    >
    > >http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/tech/mobile/iphone-5-purple-haze/index....

    >
    > The photos shown have nothing to do with chromatic aberration.  The
    > iPhone5 is hardly the first camera showing stray light effects, nor will
    > it be the last.  Even some metal DSLR lenses suffer from the problem!
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > David
    > Web:http://www.satsignal.eu


    Lens flare that just happens to be blue. It's CA.
     
    RichA, Oct 9, 2012
    #3
  4. RichA

    Rob Guest

    Rob, Oct 9, 2012
    #4
  5. RichA

    Me Guest

    Re: Ha ha! iPhone 5's HORRIBLE chromatic aberration non-issue

    On 9/10/2012 9:21 p.m., RichA wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 2:52 am, David Taylor <david-
    > > wrote:
    >> On 08/10/2012 22:37, RichA wrote:
    >>
    >>> Glad to see. The question is, can the Applesheep see chromatic
    >>> aberration, or do they only see in black and white?

    >>
    >>> http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/tech/mobile/iphone-5-purple-haze/index....

    >>
    >> The photos shown have nothing to do with chromatic aberration. The
    >> iPhone5 is hardly the first camera showing stray light effects, nor will
    >> it be the last. Even some metal DSLR lenses suffer from the problem!
    >> --
    >> Cheers,
    >> David
    >> Web:http://www.satsignal.eu

    >
    > Lens flare that just happens to be blue. It's CA.
    >

    I don't think it's CA.
    I doubt it's just lens flare either, more likely stray UV reflections,
    the sapphire glass is probably much more transparent to UV than glass.
    Would be interesting to see what happens if a UV filter is held in front
    of the lens.
     
    Me, Oct 9, 2012
    #5
  6. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > Glad to see. The question is, can the Applesheep see chromatic
    > aberration, or do they only see in black and white?


    the question is, can you see past your hatred?

    it's not just the iphone, but you can't see that.

    <http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/10/our-tests-find-purp
    le-haze-problem-isnt-limited-just-to-the-iphone-5.html>

    The Apple iPhone 5, which our Ratings reveal is a standout camera, is
    no more prone to purple hazing on photos shot into a bright light
    source than its predecessor or than several Android phones with fine
    cameras, according to special Consumer Reports tests.
     
    nospam, Oct 10, 2012
    #6
  7. RichA

    nospam Guest

    Re: Ha ha! iPhone 5's HORRIBLE chromatic aberration non-issue

    In article <>, Bowser
    <> wrote:

    > Good article, but unless Apple fixes the issue, and it is an issue,
    > then the cause isn't important. Only that the photos have purple
    > fringing issues. And really bad ones, at that.


    and unless samsung and motorola fixes it too. it's not just the iphone.
    plenty of other cameras have flare problems, even dslrs, but it's no
    fun to bash them.

    <http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/10/our-tests-find-purp
    le-haze-problem-isnt-limited-just-to-the-iphone-5.html>
     
    nospam, Oct 10, 2012
    #7
  8. RichA

    nospam Guest

    Re: Ha ha! iPhone 5's HORRIBLE chromatic aberration non-issue

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > > The photos shown have nothing to do with chromatic aberration.  The
    > > iPhone5 is hardly the first camera showing stray light effects, nor will
    > > it be the last.  Even some metal DSLR lenses suffer from the problem!

    >
    > Lens flare that just happens to be blue. It's CA.


    it's flare, and happens to many cameras, not just apple.
     
    nospam, Oct 10, 2012
    #8
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Ha ha! iPhone 5's HORRIBLE chromatic aberration non-issue

    On Oct 10, 3:47 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Bowser
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Good article, but unless Apple fixes the issue, and it is an issue,
    > > then the cause isn't important. Only that the photos have purple
    > > fringing issues. And really bad ones, at that.

    >
    > and unless samsung and motorola fixes it too. it's not just the iphone.
    > plenty of other cameras have flare problems, even dslrs, but it's no
    > fun to bash them.
    >
    > <http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/10/our-tests-find-purp
    > le-haze-problem-isnt-limited-just-to-the-iphone-5.html>


    They fact they call it "haze" proves they haven't a clue as to what it
    really is.
     
    RichA, Oct 11, 2012
    #9
  10. RichA

    David Taylor Guest

    David Taylor, Oct 12, 2012
    #10
  11. RichA

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    Re: Ha ha! iPhone 5's HORRIBLE chromatic aberration non-issue

    On 09/10/2012 09:21, RichA wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 2:52 am, David Taylor <david-
    > > wrote:
    >> On 08/10/2012 22:37, RichA wrote:
    >>
    >>> Glad to see. The question is, can the Applesheep see chromatic
    >>> aberration, or do they only see in black and white?

    >>
    >>> http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/tech/mobile/iphone-5-purple-haze/index....

    >>
    >> The photos shown have nothing to do with chromatic aberration. The
    >> iPhone5 is hardly the first camera showing stray light effects, nor will
    >> it be the last. Even some metal DSLR lenses suffer from the problem!
    >> --
    >> Cheers,
    >> David
    >> Web:http://www.satsignal.eu

    >
    > Lens flare that just happens to be blue. It's CA.
    >


    It's lens flare. The purple halo comes from the anti-reflective coating
    on the sapphire glass. That's not the same as CA. CA manifests itself as
    "fringes" of colour along boundaries that separate dark and bright parts
    of the image.


    --
    audentes fortuna iuvat
     
    Joe Kotroczo, Oct 12, 2012
    #11
  12. RichA

    David Taylor Guest

    On 12/10/2012 09:37, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:08:18 +0100, David Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 12/10/2012 08:00, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> []
    >>>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/_DSC4187.jpg

    >>
    >> I very much like that one, Eric! The flare in the 16-85 mm lens very
    >> much adds to the shot.

    >
    > Yet, because of the flair, I decided to not submit it to [SI] 'On the
    > road".


    I start to understand now why "Bruce" isn't always kind about SI!
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
     
    David Taylor, Oct 12, 2012
    #12
  13. On 12.10.2012 10:37, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:08:18 +0100, David Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 12/10/2012 08:00, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> []
    >>>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/_DSC4187.jpg

    >>
    >> I very much like that one, Eric! The flare in the 16-85 mm lens very
    >> much adds to the shot.

    >
    > Yet, because of the flair, I decided to not submit it to [SI] 'On the
    > road".
    >


    Yes David, you incidentally discovered the very reason, why the iPhone
    has got that horrible purple flare.
    Indeed, it was Tim Cooks' fault. He wanted to ape Steve Jobs.
    He convoked in Apple's headquarters all designers and engineers and told
    them without admitting discussion:
    "I want an iPhone with more flair"

    ;-)


    --
    One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
    One wife and many hotels, not the other way round ! ;-)
     
    Laszlo Lebrun, Oct 18, 2012
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Richard

    Chromatic aberration

    Richard, Aug 23, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    520
    Ethan Trewhitt
    Aug 23, 2003
  2. Devin

    Canon A80's chromatic aberration problems

    Devin, Apr 19, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    453
    Dave Martindale
    Apr 20, 2004
  3. Roger

    Chromatic Aberration

    Roger, Nov 23, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    116
    Views:
    2,342
    Big Bill
    Dec 4, 2004
  4. digiboy
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    760
    Gisle Hannemyr
    Dec 6, 2004
  5. Mike

    Chromatic aberration

    Mike, Jan 29, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    342
Loading...

Share This Page