    I have a relatively good expirence with h323, but know nothing about SIP.

    Sincerly,
    Vladimir

    Vladimir Karmishin, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Vladimir Karmishin

    Neil Smith Guest

    www.sipcenter.com might provide useful guide

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:44:10 +0200, "Vladimir Karmishin"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello !
    >
    >Could anyone explain me SIP adventages, compared with H323 ?
    >I have a relatively good expirence with h323, but know nothing about SIP.
    >
    >Sincerly,
    > Vladimir

    CaptionKit http://www.captionkit.com : Produce subtitled
    internet media, transcripts and searchable video. Supports
    Real Player, Quicktime and Windows Media Player.

    VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
    day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
    for a connected world.

    Neil Smith, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Vladimir Karmishin

    IPsmarx Team Guest

    "Vladimir Karmishin" <> wrote in message
    > Hello !
    >
    > Could anyone explain me SIP adventages, compared with H323 ?
    > I have a relatively good expirence with h323, but know nothing about SIP.
    >
    > Sincerly,
    > Vladimir

    Mainly:

    1. SIP is much more simple, so the development resources (human/financial)
    are at minimum, and time to market faster...
    2. More handy when it comes to mobility of the user...(clients with no
    static IPs, PC2phone, IPphones...).

    Grolan..

    IPsmarx Team, Oct 3, 2003
  4. In article <KZ3fb.2023$ko%>,
    IPsmarx Team <> wrote:
    >1. SIP is much more simple, so the development resources (human/financial)
    >are at minimum, and time to market faster...
    >2. More handy when it comes to mobility of the user...(clients with no
    >static IPs, PC2phone, IPphones...).

    Could you be more specific about what you mean by "much more
    simple" and "more handy?"

    Librarians are more interested in pushing pornography on kids
    than fighting terrorism -- Ed Meese

    Melinda Shore, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Vladimir Karmishin

    Me Guest

    Here is the comparison from the H.323 bias perspective
    http://www.packetizer.com/iptel/h323_vs_sip/
    (BTW this is not meant to imply that www.sipcenter.com is biased toward sip)

    IMHO it will play out like this:

    sip is lighter weight and seems (to me) to treat telephone "sessions" as
    applications on the internet. Sip is probably the future of casual
    communications and the vehicle for the rapid deployment of new commercial
    services and ideas.

    h.323 is based on well tested out of band signaling protocols with well
    understood feature interactions such as ISDN, SS#7 ISUP, Q.931, GSM etc. and
    has a "connection oriented" view of telephone calls. H.323 is probably the
    continuing communication vehicle for "mission critical" telecom, such as
    911, military and secure and formal business etc.

    At the end of the day, both are useful for their respective markets and
    users.

    -Tony

    Me, Oct 3, 2003
  6. In article <k60fb.27552$>,
    Vladimir Karmishin <> wrote:
    >Hello !
    >
    >Could anyone explain me SIP adventages, compared with H323 ?
    >I have a relatively good expirence with h323, but know nothing about SIP.
    >
    >Sincerly,
    > Vladimir

    You'll open up a can of worms. h.323 and SIP do a lot of the same
    things. Each of them does some things better, only a few things are
    done that the other protocol can't be made to do though sometimes with
    kluding it.

    They both use the same protocol for sending the media (RTP) and thus
    generate the same quality of voice.

    Some of the differences are a matter of style. 323 is from the ITU, and
    reflects in many ways older telco-world thinking. SIP is from the IETF
    and reflects that way of thinking. I happen to think mostly in the
    latter camp and so I prefer the choices in SIP. Some times the choices
    in SIP really are better, they were made later, with the experience of
    H.323 behind them. Sometimes SIP has added something and the 323 specs
    have followed suit with their own version.

    While 323 has added more URL support, SIP started with it and internet
    oriented addressing. Though to be fair, most people using SIP are using
    it with phone numbers and old style addressing. The hope is this will
    improve. Right now it's somewhat hard to have an H.323 phone on your
    desk, behind NAT, and tell somebody else with a genric H.323 phone in
    the same position to call you. Not so easy with SIP either but SIP
    was more amenable to solutions to this problem, and today I can enter a
    SIP URL into my SIP phone and call you if you have one with the
    appropriate proxies.

    SIP seems a bit more extensible, a bit easier to debug, a bit easier to
    understand, but others differ on that.

    What does matter however, is that we eventually settle on one. 323 is
    older and selling more equipment and doing more minutes these days. But
    SIP seems to have the momentum. I've decided it's the likely winner so
    I push for it and code for it. It (and the standards body it comes
    from) have more flexibility, and that's the most important feature a
    protocol can have. Not what it does now, but how hard it is to make it
    do stuff in the future.
    --
    Around the World in 14 days
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/trip.html

    Brad Templeton, Oct 3, 2003
  7. Vladimir Karmishin

    SPD Guest

    Vladimir:

    In my opinion you'd be best to define your requirements then
    look for a solution that addresses them.

    -Steve

    SPD, Oct 4, 2003
  8. Vladimir Karmishin

    Hank Karl Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 01:07:54 GMT, "IPsmarx Team"
    <> wrote:

    >"Vladimir Karmishin" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello !
    >>
    >> Could anyone explain me SIP adventages, compared with H323 ?
    >> I have a relatively good expirence with h323, but know nothing about SIP.
    >>
    >> Sincerly,
    >> Vladimir
    >>

    >Mainly:
    >
    >1. SIP is much more simple, so the development resources (human/financial)
    >are at minimum, and time to market faster...

    SIP -- RFC 3261 is now one of the largest (if not the largest) RFCs.
    Add in all the related RFCs, like 3262, 3263, 3265, 3311, 3312, 3313,
    3319, 3323, 3325, 3326, 3327, 3329, 3351, 3361, 3372, 3427, 3428,
    3455, 3485, 3486, 3487, 3515, 3581, etc and SIP isn't so simple
    anymore.

    Another advantage to SIP used to be that it used "human readable"
    messages as opposed to the shorter H.323 messages. But RFC 3485 and
    3486 allow compression of SIP messages, so they may no longer be
    "human readable"..

    Hank Karl, Oct 6, 2003
  9. Vladimir Karmishin

    Hank Karl Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:19:07 -0000, (Brad
    Templeton) wrote:

    >In article <k60fb.27552$>,
    >Vladimir Karmishin <> wrote:
    >>Hello !
    >>
    >>Could anyone explain me SIP adventages, compared with H323 ?
    >>I have a relatively good expirence with h323, but know nothing about SIP.
    >>
    >>Sincerly,
    >> Vladimir
    >>

    >You'll open up a can of worms. h.323 and SIP do a lot of the same
    >things. Each of them does some things better, only a few things are
    >done that the other protocol can't be made to do though sometimes with
    >kluding it.
    >
    >They both use the same protocol for sending the media (RTP) and thus
    >generate the same quality of voice.
    >

    >Some of the differences are a matter of style. 323 is from the ITU, and
    >reflects in many ways older telco-world thinking. SIP is from the IETF
    >and reflects that way of thinking. I happen to think mostly in the
    >latter camp and so I prefer the choices in SIP. Some times the choices
    >in SIP really are better, they were made later, with the experience of
    >H.323 behind them. Sometimes SIP has added something and the 323 specs
    >have followed suit with their own version.

    On the other hand, SIP has had to be extended to do things the TDM
    telephony network did (e.g. PRACK) Features are still being added to
    SIP to give it what the "old-style" network had. (Although SIP does
    have a feature or two that the existing PSTN network does not have).

    H.323 was designed by experts with a lot of experience in telephony,
    and a telephony viewpoint (e.g. five-9s reliability, charge for calls,
    protection from fraud). SIP had some of those experts, but was
    designed from a datacom perspective.

    IMO, H.323 is more robust and reliable, and has better compatibility
    between manufacturers of H.323 endpoints (SIP is getting better at
    this, the differences are more apparent at the supplementary services
    level).

    >While 323 has added more URL support, SIP started with it and internet
    >oriented addressing. Though to be fair, most people using SIP are using
    >it with phone numbers and old style addressing. The hope is this will
    >improve. Right now it's somewhat hard to have an H.323 phone on your
    >desk, behind NAT, and tell somebody else with a genric H.323 phone in
    >the same position to call you. Not so easy with SIP either but SIP
    >was more amenable to solutions to this problem, and today I can enter a
    >SIP URL into my SIP phone and call you if you have one with the
    >appropriate proxies.
    >
    >SIP seems a bit more extensible, a bit easier to debug, a bit easier to
    >understand, but others differ on that.
    >

    >What does matter however, is that we eventually settle on one. 323 is
    >older and selling more equipment and doing more minutes these days. But
    >SIP seems to have the momentum. I've decided it's the likely winner so
    >I push for it and code for it. It (and the standards body it comes
    >from) have more flexibility, and that's the most important feature a
    >protocol can have. Not what it does now, but how hard it is to make it
    >do stuff in the future.

    IMO, H.323 has better Interoperability and reliability, especially
    between H.323 versions. I've heard that RFC 2543 had some parts that
    didn't work, and RFC 3261 re-designed those areas in a totally
    different way. Flexibility is great, but (IMO) inter operability and
    reliability are more important.

    Hank Karl, Oct 6, 2003
  10. Vladimir Karmishin

    Hugo Drax Guest

    > Hello !
    >
    > Could anyone explain me SIP adventages, compared with H323 ?
    > I have a relatively good expirence with h323, but know nothing about SIP.
    >
    > Sincerly,
    > Vladimir

    I was able to buy 2 60 dollar sip based phones preconfigured and ready to
    go. plug and play and they worked.

    so for me SIP has a real big advantage.

    Hugo Drax, Oct 8, 2003