H&M photo contest

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TP, Jun 7, 2006.

  1. TP

    TP Guest

    Hello from Poland

    H&M just started a photo contest at

    I would be gratefull if you could take a look at my photos
    and vote - constructive critique is of course also welcome.

    http://tinyurl.com/poj64
    http://tinyurl.com/m2wpt
    http://tinyurl.com/mbll3

    p.s. the web page is a little pain in the ...
    (extensive use of macromedia flash. Main contest
    window is a popup and I have been told does not
    work in all browsers - I checked in IE and Firefox
    and it worked OK, but Opera users can have a
    problem viewing the page) and requires
    a bit of patience for the pictures to load.
    After the popup apears you have to move your
    mouse around the 'sand' on the left side to uncover
    the text and then wait a moment for the menu to slide
    from the right and then the picture to slide
    from the bottom.
    Also voting itself is a little cumbersome, you don't
    click a number 1 to 5 but instead need to use the
    arrows to move the slider and then click 'Vote'

    Thanks,
    Tomasz Plawski
    TP, Jun 7, 2006

  2. TP

    Helen Guest

    "TP <WROC>" <> wrote in message
    > Hello from Poland
    >
    > H&M just started a photo contest at
    >
    > I would be gratefull if you could take a look at my photos
    > and vote - constructive critique is of course also welcome.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/

    And goodbye from England.
    I know better than to go to a tinyurl.
    Have the courage of your convictions and post the proper URL.
    Helen, Jun 7, 2006

  3. TP

    Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 21:54:30 +0100, "Helen" <> wrote:

    >"TP <WROC>" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello from Poland
    >>
    >> H&M just started a photo contest at
    >>
    >> I would be gratefull if you could take a look at my photos
    >> and vote - constructive critique is of course also welcome.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/

    >And goodbye from England.
    >I know better than to go to a tinyurl.
    >Have the courage of your convictions and post the proper URL.

    You don't need to fear tinyurls. If you go to http://tinyurl.com you can enable
    previews that show you the destination URL so you can then choose whether to go
    to it or not. The only requirement is you must enable cookies in your browser
    for the tinyurl site.

    If you enable previews at tinyurl.com and click on the first link given by the
    OP you'll see why tinyurls are legitimately used by many posters. The resulting
    URL in this case looks to be over 100 characters long, which would result in at
    least one line break in most news clients. That would prohibit loading the
    'proper URL' by clicking it, and require instead at least two copy and paste
    operations to get the URL into your browser.
    , Jun 9, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 21:54:30 +0100, "Helen" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "TP <WROC>" <> wrote in message

    >> I know better than to go to a tinyurl.
    >> Have the courage of your convictions and post the proper URL.
    >>

    > You don't need to fear tinyurls.

    I think prudence is a better word than fear.

    If you go to http://tinyurl.com you can enable
    > previews that show you the destination URL so you can then choose whether to go
    > to it or not. The only requirement is you must enable cookies in your browser
    > for the tinyurl site.

    Not gonna happen for some of us, the extra steps, that is.

    > If you enable previews at tinyurl.com and click on the first link given by the
    > OP you'll see why tinyurls are legitimately used by many posters. The resulting
    > URL in this case looks to be over 100 characters long, which would result in at
    > least one line break in most news clients. That would prohibit loading the
    > 'proper URL' by clicking it, and require instead at least two copy and paste
    > operations to get the URL into your browser.

    A decent newsreader honors brackets < like these > and doesn't break
    URLs of great length.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 9, 2006