H.323 Vs SIP VoIP & Softphone Vs Hardphone

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by SIP2PSTN, May 28, 2005.

  1. SIP2PSTN

    SIP2PSTN Guest

    Danilo Kempf Wrote:
    > I would like to know that is there any difference in voice qualit
    > over-
    > ADSL 256kbps connection while using H.323 or SIP , would like to know
    > which is better for VOIP communication on low bandwidth,which give
    > better compression , less echo and good quality .-
    >
    > Neither protocol has something to do with echo or voice quality. Bot
    > SIP
    > and H.323 are signalling protocols which are used only to establis
    > media
    > channels. Those in turn are transmitted via RTP in both cases, s
    > there
    > shouldn't be a difference in quality between SIP or H.323 devices.
    > -
    > Also would like to know that is there a difference in voice qualit
    > and
    > echo while using hardphone than a softphone . Which from both gives
    > better sound quality and less echo on low bandwidth .-
    >
    > In theory there's no difference between a "hard"phone and a softphone
    > In
    > practice most "tangible" VoIP phones include a real DSP doing som
    > echo
    > cancellation. With next to all Softphones echo cancellation is pretty
    > uncommon, so you get better quality with a hardphone here.

    What kind of hardware do i need to get good quality of voice , do
    need an IP phone or will the ATA be able to connect SIP provider .
    plan to use libretel.com to get a phone number which will ring on m
    voip based phone I set up , so please suggest a good and reliable wa
    to setup

    --
    SIP2PSTN

    SIP2PSTN, May 28, 2005

  2. SIP2PSTN

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    SIP2PSTN <> wrote:
    > What kind of hardware do i need to get good quality of voice , do i
    > need an IP phone or will the ATA be able to connect SIP provider . I
    > plan to use libretel.com to get a phone number which will ring on my
    > voip based phone I set up , so please suggest a good and reliable way
    > to setup .

    The quality of hardware IP phones and ATAs varies more between brands than
    between device type (phone vs ATA). Buy something decent and you will have
    excellent call quality as long as your internet connection is decent.

    The advantage of an ATA is that you can use any phone (such as a nice DECT
    cordless). The advantage of an IP phone is that the interface is more
    integrated and you can use feature buttons and the display for fancy IP
    phone things.

    The Wifi IP phones currently on the market are generally held to suck.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 29, 2005