    what software can do this?

    thx.
    William

    William, Sep 18, 2003

  2. William

    Monzai Guest

    William wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > can i use a pc and voice modem to be a h.323 gateway?
    > what software can do this?
    >
    > thx.
    > William

    Dear William,
    all you need is a connection to the internet. What you use
    to connect to the internet makes only a speed difference.
    Have a look at http://www.openh323.org/ for software.
    Cheers :)
    Monzai

    Webmasters, network managers and admins: http://www.monzai.com/
    You'll love it!

    Monzai, Sep 19, 2003

  3. William

    Pete Harris Guest

    William posts:

    > can i use a pc and voice modem to be a h.323 gateway?
    > what software can do this?
    >
    > thx.
    > William

    Monzai responds:

    > all you need is a connection to the internet. What you use
    > to connect to the internet makes only a speed difference.
    > Have a look at http://www.openh323.org/ for software.

    I think more than Internet connectivity is required. William is
    asking about a device to bridge between H.323 Voice over IP and legacy
    telephone circuitry.

    And he's correct, a voice modem could theoretically do the job.
    However, I think most, if not all, of the single channel PC voice
    modems do not allow simultaneous audio in both directions (they're
    'half duplex'), since they're made for IVR not telephony and lack a
    second sound chip. So you would have to use two boards somehow.

    Does this software exist? I haven't heard of it. The closest
    solution I know about it the low-end Digium card, about $100, which
    runs on Asterix using a contributed H.3323 stack, but this works with
    Linux only. This can be pretty fussy to set up--unless you're a
    student, probably better to just buy a low-end H.323 gateway for a
    little more money.

    Pete
    bg.com/qphone.html

    Pete Harris, Sep 19, 2003
  4. William

    NOONE Guest

    Pete Harris wrote:

    > William posts:
    >
    >> can i use a pc and voice modem to be a h.323 gateway?
    >> what software can do this?
    >>
    >> thx.
    >> William

    > Monzai responds:
    >
    >> all you need is a connection to the internet. What you use
    >> to connect to the internet makes only a speed difference.
    >> Have a look at http://www.openh323.org/ for software.

    > I think more than Internet connectivity is required. William is
    > asking about a device to bridge between H.323 Voice over IP and legacy
    > telephone circuitry.
    >
    > And he's correct, a voice modem could theoretically do the job.
    > However, I think most, if not all, of the single channel PC voice
    > modems do not allow simultaneous audio in both directions (they're
    > 'half duplex'), since they're made for IVR not telephony and lack a
    > second sound chip. So you would have to use two boards somehow.

    Most PC voice (win)modems have duplex sound capabilities! These days, a
    single soundchip is basically consists of two channels for stereo sound
    purposes.

    --
    NOONE

    NOONE, Sep 19, 2003
  5. William

    Pete Harris Guest

    > Most PC voice (win)modems have duplex sound capabilities! These days, a
    > single soundchip is basically consists of two channels for stereo sound
    > purposes.

    OK, I'm showing my age! Actually, when I was plugging a Digium card
    FXO gateway card into our Asterix lab system, it's outward appearance
    was nearly identical to the V.90 modem which was already there...

    So as the original poster surmised, it's a simple matter of software

    Pete
    bg.com/qphone

    Pete Harris, Sep 19, 2003
  6. William

    NO_SPAMMERS Guest

    Pete Harris wrote:

    >> Most PC voice (win)modems have duplex sound capabilities! These days, a
    >> single soundchip is basically consists of two channels for stereo sound
    >> purposes.

    > OK, I'm showing my age! Actually, when I was plugging a Digium card
    > FXO gateway card into our Asterix lab system, it's outward appearance
    > was nearly identical to the V.90 modem which was already there...
    >
    > So as the original poster surmised, it's a simple matter of software
    >
    > Pete
    > bg.com/qphone

    You may be right in this matter where it is possible to use any voice
    capable (win)modem to act as an FXO device; however, from the hardware
    point of view, one will need a dedicated computer CPU resources to perform
    a voice CoDec, i.e. G.723, to compress/decompress the audio data. I am no
    expert in this matter; however, this certainly will consume some CPU
    resources ...

    --
    NO_SPAMMERS

    NO_SPAMMERS, Sep 20, 2003
  7. "NOONE" <> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:pAEab.520350$o%2.227102@sccrnsc02...
    [...]
    > Most PC voice (win)modems have duplex sound capabilities! These days, a
    > single soundchip is basically consists of two channels for stereo sound
    > purposes.

    Are you sure the full-duplex capability is between the analog loop
    and the digital interface (pci bus or serial port) ?
    AFAIK such capability exists only between the analog loop and
    analog in/out (where you are supposed to plug a mic+headphones),
    so you need a sound card too, connected by wires to the modem
    audio in/out.

    I would like to be wrong. Do you know a chipset/modem that doesn't
    need a sound card ?

    Bye,

    --
    Virgilio Lattanzi HARPAX srl