gwtc was: FF won't save passwords for some sites

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by default, Sep 27, 2005.

  1. default

    default Guest

    I go to the site
    http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password

    and get a java script window:

    Removed autocomplete=off from 0 forms and from 0 form elements, and
    removed onsubmit from 0 forms. After you type your password and submit
    the form, the browser will offer to remember your password.

    Well that don't happen . . .

    and there was no software that I could drag to my personal toolbar . .
    .. and nothing appeared on the toolbar when I tried to drag and drop
    the remember password button

    Am I too dense to get it? Using the wrong version of FF (1.0.6)? or
    something else?

    default, Sep 27, 2005

  2. default

    Ed Mullen Guest

    default wrote:

    > I go to the site
    > http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password
    >
    > and get a java script window:
    >
    > Removed autocomplete=off from 0 forms and from 0 form elements, and
    > removed onsubmit from 0 forms. After you type your password and submit
    > the form, the browser will offer to remember your password.

    You don't say so but I must assume you clicked on the "remember
    password" button and that produced the javascript message window.
    That's what is supposed to happen. However, that page has no password
    form so you will not see the referenced Firefox password prompt after
    you click OK. You need to invoke the javascript bookmarklet on a page
    that has a password form in it of the sort that the bookmarklet is
    designed to deal with. Note: not all pages requiring passwords use the
    same method and, hence, this bookmarklet will not work on all such
    pages. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_bmarks.html

    > Well that don't happen . . .
    >
    > and there was no software that I could drag to my personal toolbar . .
    > . and nothing appeared on the toolbar when I tried to drag and drop
    > the remember password button
    >
    > Am I too dense to get it? Using the wrong version of FF (1.0.6)? or
    > something else?

    Bookmarklets work fine for me in FF 1.0.7 and have for many previous
    versions. Exactly where are you trying to drop the "remember password"
    button? I can drag and drop the button onto the Personal Toolbar as
    well as into the bookmarks sidebar, no problem. You may have an
    extension installed that is interfering with drag/drop. Try running in
    Safe Mode and trying again.

    Please correct your signature so proper newsreaders will strip it from
    subsequent replies. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Sep 27, 2005

  3. default

    gwtc Guest

    default wrote:

    > I go to the site
    > http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password
    >
    > and get a java script window:
    >
    > Removed autocomplete=off from 0 forms and from 0 form elements, and
    > removed onsubmit from 0 forms. After you type your password and submit
    > the form, the browser will offer to remember your password.
    >
    > Well that don't happen . . .
    >
    > and there was no software that I could drag to my personal toolbar . .
    > .

    There is no software. Its not software.

    and nothing appeared on the toolbar when I tried to drag and drop
    > the remember password button

    It should have worked.

    > Am I too dense to get it? Using the wrong version of FF (1.0.6)? or
    > something else?

    No, no, and no.

    [SNIP CRAP STUFF]

    Then create a bookmark out of the following Javascript:

    javascript:(function(){var ca,cea,cs,df,dfe,i,j,x,y;function
    n(i,what){return i+%22
    %22+what+((i==1)?%22%22:%22s%22)}ca=cea=cs=0;df=document.forms;for(i=0;i<df.length;++i){x=df;dfe=x.elements;if(x.onsubmit){x.onsubmit=%22%22;++cs;}if(x.attributes[%22autocomplete%22]){x.attributes[%22autocomplete%22].value=%22on%22;++ca;}for(j=0;j<dfe.length;++j){y=dfe[j];if(y.attributes[%22autocomplete%22]){y.attributes[%22autocomplete%22].value=%22on%22;++cea;}}}alert(%22Removed
    autocomplete=off from %22+n(ca,%22form%22)+%22 and from
    %22+n(cea,%22form element%22)+%22, and removed onsubmit from
    %22+n(cs,%22form%22)+%22. After you type your password and submit the
    form, the browser will offer to remember your password.%22)})();

    Just click on where it says:

    javascript:(function

    and drag all the way to the bottom where it says:

    password.%22)})();

    copy it, then paste it into the bookmark location.
    gwtc, Sep 27, 2005
  4. default

    Ed Mullen Guest

    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>> 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
    >>> =----

    >> Please correct your signature so proper newsreaders will strip it from
    >> subsequent replies. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html
    >>

    > All that junk is not from his sig file, its automatically put there by
    > newsfeeds.com

    LOL. Err ... oops!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Sep 27, 2005
  5. default

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Sep 27, 2005
  6. It just so happens that on 27 Sep 2005,
    ppfmp was seen getting all uppity
    in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:

    >> Please correct your signature so proper newsreaders will strip it from
    >> subsequent replies. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html
    >>

    > All that junk is not from his sig file, its automatically put there by
    > newsfeeds.com

    Yes, but if his signature above were properly delimited, replies could
    easily strip everything below it regardless of what is there. It's the
    replies to his posts that are affected, not his newsfeeds.com posts.

    --
    Jonathan Wolgamuth [jonwolgamuth(at)gmail(dot)com]

    "I'm unique, just like everybody else"
    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Sep 28, 2005
  7. default

    gwtc Guest

    Jonathan Wolgamuth wrote:

    > It just so happens that on 27 Sep 2005,
    > ppfmp was seen getting all uppity
    > in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:
    >

    >>>Please correct your signature so proper newsreaders will strip it from
    >>>subsequent replies. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html
    >>>

    >>All that junk is not from his sig file, its automatically put there by
    >>newsfeeds.com

    > Yes, but if his signature above were properly delimited, replies could
    > easily strip everything below it regardless of what is there. It's the
    > replies to his posts that are affected, not his newsfeeds.com posts.

    they are put there by his server. They are the server taglines.
    Everytime he sends out a message, the server adds the tagline.

    If you have a Netscape.net webmail account, or a Yahoo mail account,
    and if you send a message from within those accounts, then they too
    add their own taglines. Yahoo is usually one line, but Netscape's is
    about 10 lines long. Hotmail used to do it but I don't see them now.
    gwtc, Sep 28, 2005
  8. It just so happens that on 28 Sep 2005,
    ppfmp was seen getting all
    uppity in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:

    >> It just so happens that on 27 Sep 2005,
    >> ppfmp was seen getting all
    >> uppity in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:

    >>>All that junk is not from his sig file, its automatically put there
    >>>by newsfeeds.com

    >> Yes, but if his signature above were properly delimited, replies
    >> could easily strip everything below it regardless of what is there.
    >> It's the replies to his posts that are affected, not his
    >> newsfeeds.com posts.
    >>

    > they are put there by his server. They are the server taglines.
    > Everytime he sends out a message, the server adds the tagline.
    >
    > If you have a Netscape.net webmail account, or a Yahoo mail account,
    > and if you send a message from within those accounts, then they too
    > add their own taglines. Yahoo is usually one line, but Netscape's is
    > about 10 lines long. Hotmail used to do it but I don't see them now.

    Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
    good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter. A
    proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Sep 28, 2005
  9. default

    default Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    <> wrote:

    >It just so happens that on 28 Sep 2005,
    > was seen getting all
    >uppity in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:
    >
    >>> It just so happens that on 27 Sep 2005,
    >>> ppfmp was seen getting all
    >>> uppity in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:

    >>> Yes, but if his signature above were properly delimited, replies
    >>> could easily strip everything below it regardless of what is there.
    >>> It's the replies to his posts that are affected, not his
    >>> newsfeeds.com posts.
    >>>

    >> they are put there by his server. They are the server taglines.
    >> Everytime he sends out a message, the server adds the tagline.
    >>
    >> If you have a Netscape.net webmail account, or a Yahoo mail account,
    >> and if you send a message from within those accounts, then they too
    >> add their own taglines. Yahoo is usually one line, but Netscape's is
    >> about 10 lines long. Hotmail used to do it but I don't see them now.
    >>

    >Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
    >good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter. A
    >proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

    Well we'll see, or you'll see. I added a sig file

    default, Sep 28, 2005
  10. default

    default Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    <> wrote:
    snip

    >Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
    >good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter. A
    >proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

    More to this signature stuff than I grok apparently

    This space intentionally left blank

    default, Sep 28, 2005
  11. default

    default Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    <> wrote:
    snipped again

    >Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
    >good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter. A
    >proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

    sig file is the text: "This space intentionally left blank"

    I'm using agent and still see the crap from the server. There doesn't
    appear to be an option for truncating the signature in agent.

    put a few spaces in the text field of the sig file and removed "this
    space etc."

    default, Sep 28, 2005
  12. default

    Jedi Fans Guest

    default wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    > <> wrote:
    > snipped again
    >> Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
    >> good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter. A
    >> proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

    > sig file is the text: "This space intentionally left blank"
    >
    > I'm using agent and still see the crap from the server. There doesn't
    > appear to be an option for truncating the signature in agent.
    >
    > put a few spaces in the text field of the sig file and removed "this
    > space etc."

    The correct signature delimiter is
    [dash][dash][space][enter]
    resulting in:

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SuSE Linux Professional 9.3, Mozilla Firefox
    Jedi Fans, Sep 28, 2005
  13. default

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jedi Fans wrote:

    > default wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    >> <> wrote:
    >> snipped again
    >>
    >>> Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
    >>> good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter.
    >>> A proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

    >> sig file is the text: "This space intentionally left blank"
    >>
    >> I'm using agent and still see the crap from the server. There doesn't
    >> appear to be an option for truncating the signature in agent.
    >>
    >> put a few spaces in the text field of the sig file and removed "this
    >> space etc."

    > The correct signature delimiter is
    > [dash][dash][space][enter]
    > resulting in:

    Exactly. And as I cited before, more info on proper sigs is at:

    mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html

    For the OP, examine this reply, the original I'm replying to, and then
    hit reply and see what your newsreader does to proper sigs. Unless
    you've been manually removing sigs, your newsreader is doing it
    properly. The sig you used wasn't stripped because it was not preceeded
    by the standard delimiter (dash dash space) as noted above.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Sep 28, 2005
  14. default

    default Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:05:33 +0100, Jedi Fans
    <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com"> wrote:

    >default wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    >> <> wrote:
    >> snipped again
    >>> Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
    >>> good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter. A
    >>> proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

    >> sig file is the text: "This space intentionally left blank"
    >>
    >> I'm using agent and still see the crap from the server. There doesn't
    >> appear to be an option for truncating the signature in agent.
    >>
    >> put a few spaces in the text field of the sig file and removed "this
    >> space etc."

    >The correct signature delimiter is
    >[dash][dash][space][enter]
    >resulting in:

    OK did that and posting

    default, Sep 28, 2005
  15. default

    Ed Mullen Guest

    default wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:05:33 +0100, Jedi Fans
    > <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com"> wrote:
    >

    >>default wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>snipped again

    >>>sig file is the text: "This space intentionally left blank"
    >>>
    >>>I'm using agent and still see the crap from the server. There doesn't
    >>>appear to be an option for truncating the signature in agent.
    >>>
    >>>put a few spaces in the text field of the sig file and removed "this
    >>>space etc."

    >>The correct signature delimiter is
    >>[dash][dash][space][enter]
    >>resulting in:

    > OK did that and posting

    Success! Mozilla automagically stripped not only your sig but also all
    the stuff your news service added after it. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Sep 28, 2005
  16. It just so happens that on 28 Sep 2005, was seen
    getting all uppity in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:

    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:05:33 +0100, Jedi Fans
    > <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com"> wrote:
    >
    >>default wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    >>> <> wrote: snipped again
    >>>

    >>> sig file is the text: "This space intentionally left blank"
    >>>
    >>> I'm using agent and still see the crap from the server. There
    >>> doesn't appear to be an option for truncating the signature in
    >>> agent.
    >>>
    >>> put a few spaces in the text field of the sig file and removed "this
    >>> space etc."

    >>The correct signature delimiter is [dash][dash][space][enter]
    >>resulting in:

    > OK did that and posting

    Ding ding ding! We have a winner! ;-)

    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Sep 28, 2005
  17. default

    default Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:22:15 -0700, gwtc
    <> wrote:

    Snipped

    Thanks for your help and understanding. For some strange reason the
    drag and drop to the toolbar worked and it is remembering my yahoo
    password now.

    Thanks again
    bob

    default, Sep 29, 2005