    USA has a larger population. That also is strange unless the news
    servers and original group is overseas. (For my overseas friends
    overseas means local :) )

    measekite, Feb 3, 2005

  2. measekite

    Guest

    measekite wrote:
    > I thought there were quite a few female photo enthusiasts and yet

    most
    > of the participants in all of the photo and printer newsgroups are
    > guys. Anyone know why?
    >
    > Also, it seems the most active participants are the Brits and yet the

    > USA has a larger population. That also is strange unless the news
    > servers and original group is overseas. (For my overseas friends
    > overseas means local :)

    Two possible answers:
    1) Not many women know how to use computers.
    2) Most women already know all there is to know.

    , Feb 3, 2005

  3. measekite

    Vic Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Two possible answers:
    > 1) Not many women know how to use computers.

    Damn, now is the mouse the one with 101 buttons? Or is that the monitor?

    > 2) Most women already know all there is to know.

    What can I help you with?

    Vic, Feb 3, 2005
  4. measekite

    Harvey Guest

    "measekite" <> wrote in message
    [...]

    ...don't assume people are the same sex as their usenet name might
    suggest....

    Harvey, Feb 4, 2005
  5. measekite

    Guest Guest

    I've been in the computer industry for over 20 years now. It's rare to see woman in the industry, or even to participate in the usenet groups which alone is some thing most people have no clue to this day even exists.
    I tell my friends I post on a news server and they scratch their head and say, what? I've also had several, many relationships in my life to which all the woman didn't know how to use a computer. Not sure why.

    "measekite" <> wrote in message news:RzsMd.157$...
    I thought there were quite a few female photo enthusiasts and yet most of the participants in all of the photo and printer newsgroups are guys. Anyone know why?

    Also, it seems the most active participants are the Brits and yet the USA has a larger population. That also is strange unless the news servers and original group is overseas. (For my overseas friends overseas means local :) )

    Guest, Feb 4, 2005
  6. measekite

    Lola MacLean Guest

    There are some of us out there! I regularly read several Newsgoups--and
    wouldn't consider using an ISP without a News Server.
    Lola MacLean

    Lola MacLean, Feb 4, 2005
  7. On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 22:18:31 +0000, LEICA wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >> I thought there were quite a few female photo enthusiasts and yet

    > most
    >> of the participants in all of the photo and printer newsgroups are
    >> guys. Anyone know why?
    >>
    >> Also, it seems the most active participants are the Brits and yet the
    >> USA has a larger population. That also is strange unless the news
    >> servers and original group is overseas. (For my overseas friends
    >> overseas means local :)

    > Two possible answers:
    > 1) Not many women know how to use computers.

    My opinion :)

    > 2) Most women already know all there is to know.

    The other person in home thinks so.

    Seriously though, I know three women/girls who are quite active amateur
    photographers. After I started on digital photography recently, I had
    spoken to all three (trying to proselytize them). All came up with the
    same problem - too much involvement with the computer. It was a rather
    vague objection, not anything specific. One of them told that she did not
    want to mix photography and computing ! All of them use computers, at
    least terminals, in their workplace.

    --

    Gautam Majumdar

    Please send e-mails to

    Gautam Majumdar, Feb 4, 2005
  8. wrote:
    > I've been in the computer industry for over 20 years now. It's rare

    to see >woman in the industry, or even to participate in the usenet
    groups which alone >is some thing most people have no clue to this day
    even exists.
    > I tell my friends I post on a news server and they scratch their head

    and say, >what? I've also had several, many relationships in my life to
    which all the >woman didn't know how to use a computer. Not sure why.

    I've been working in Unix systems, networking and Security for about
    six years now. Women in these areas are very hard to come by. But I see
    lots of women amongst my customers in the banking/insurance sector.
    Also lots of them in software development. No clue, why/why-not.

    I guess most hobbies/things to do with complicated machinery/equipment
    does not attract women. Another example - 4WD off-roading :)

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 4, 2005
  9. measekite

    measekite Guest

    I do not agree. I develop application programs. About a third of the
    programmers I have worked with are female. Also, go to some of the chat
    rooms and see what is there. Newsgroups seem different.

    And the females I have worked with have been very bright.

    measekite, Feb 4, 2005
  10. measekite

    Charlie Self Guest

    Siddhartha Jain responds:

    >I've been working in Unix systems, networking and Security for about
    >six years now. Women in these areas are very hard to come by. But I see
    >lots of women amongst my customers in the banking/insurance sector.
    >Also lots of them in software development. No clue, why/why-not.

    A long time ago, I bought my first four or five computers from a woman dealer,
    in business for herself. Excellent tech knowledge. Also helped her husband who
    owned a furniture store, and had a bunch of kids--five IIRC. She finally shut
    the store when computers turned to commodities--and went to work in the
    research department of a computer outfit at much better money.

    >I guess most hobbies/things to do with complicated machinery/equipment
    >does not attract women. Another example - 4WD off-roading :)

    Not too many in off-road motorcycling, either, but even back when I was very
    actively shooting and writing about it--late '60s through the '70s--there were
    a few. It may well be that most women have enough sense to not get into sports
    that beat the hell out of your body.

    Charlie Self
    "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

    Charlie Self, Feb 4, 2005
  11. measekite

    Confused Guest

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:46:41 GMT
    In message <RzsMd.157$>
    Posted from SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com
    measekite <> wrote:

    > Also, it seems the most active participants are the Brits and yet the
    > USA has a larger population. That also is strange unless the news
    > servers and original group is overseas. (For my overseas friends
    > overseas means local :) )

    Americans are usually self-reliant in terms of research, and when it
    comes to photography there is little time to participate in usenet
    groups. The Brits, on the other hand [I'm gonna get it for this],
    tend to be very vocal and colourful in their touting of informations.

    ;^)

    Jeff

    Confused, Feb 4, 2005
  12. measekite

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Lola MacLean wrote:
    > There are some of us out there! I regularly read several Newsgoups--and
    > wouldn't consider using an ISP without a News Server.
    > Lola MacLean

    Hey guys! Check it out! There's a woman posting to UseNet over here. :)

    Seriously though Lola, women are few and far between on UseNet.

    It's probably a good thing there aren't that many women posters. Imagine the
    flame wars. :)

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Feb 6, 2005