Gutsy will be released on Thursday (Friday our time?)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
    The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for downloads
    of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

    Past Ubuntu releases have been marred by downed servers, as the Umbongo
    faithful rush to get their fresh code injection. So, this time around, Mark
    Shuttleworth and crew are doing their outreach early. They've started
    talking up the OS before it's available on Thursday, hoping to spread out
    demand a bit.
    [...]
    Those of you dabbling with the dark side via dual boot Windows machines will
    enjoy the ability to read and write files on the (NTFS) Windows partition.

    I wonder how long ntfs will be rw, the cynic in me wonders if NTFS will be
    patched to break the rw ability :)
    --
    Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.

    Shane, Oct 16, 2007

  2. Shane

    Peter Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
    > The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for downloads
    > of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

    cool

    > Those of you dabbling with the dark side via dual boot Windows machines
    > will enjoy the ability to read and write files on the (NTFS) Windows
    > partition.

    Does this include compatibility with the Vista version of ntfs? Or is it
    just for the older versions?

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 17, 2007

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
    >> The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for
    >> downloads of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

    > cool
    >
    >> Those of you dabbling with the dark side via dual boot Windows machines
    >> will enjoy the ability to read and write files on the (NTFS) Windows
    >> partition.

    > Does this include compatibility with the Vista version of ntfs? Or is it
    > just for the older versions?
    >

    > Peter

    That is a flipping good question. I dont have Vista here so I cant test.
    If you find out can you let us know?
    --
    Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.

    Shane, Oct 17, 2007
  4. Shane

    sam Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:
    >>> http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
    >>> The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for
    >>> downloads of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

    >> cool
    >>
    >>> Those of you dabbling with the dark side via dual boot Windows machines
    >>> will enjoy the ability to read and write files on the (NTFS) Windows
    >>> partition.

    >> Does this include compatibility with the Vista version of ntfs? Or is it
    >> just for the older versions?
    >>

    >> Peter

    > That is a flipping good question. I dont have Vista here so I cant test.
    > If you find out can you let us know?

    This page might have some info on that.
    http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

    sam, Oct 17, 2007
  5. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Peter" typed:
    > Shane wrote:
    > > http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
    > > The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for
    > > downloads of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

    > cool

    Heh! I still have the "Feisty Fawn" DVD ISO on my HDD somewhere. Never did
    get around to setting it up (dual boot).
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 18, 2007
  6. Shane

    Malcolm Guest

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:10:45 +1300
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > Somewhere on the interweb "Peter" typed:
    > > Shane wrote:
    > > > http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/16/ubuntu_7_dot_10/
    > > > The folks at Canonical have started to prepare their servers for
    > > > downloads of the latest Ubuntu release - 7.10 or "Gutsy Gibbon."

    > > cool

    > Heh! I still have the "Feisty Fawn" DVD ISO on my HDD somewhere.
    > Never did get around to setting it up (dual boot).

    Young luke is weakening.....an iso on the hard drive, come on over
    to the darkside................. ;-)

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 21:31, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.12, 0.13

    Malcolm, Oct 18, 2007
  7. Shane

    Lodi Guest

    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:10:45 +1300
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on the interweb "Peter" typed:
    >> >
    >> > cool

    >> Heh! I still have the "Feisty Fawn" DVD ISO on my HDD somewhere. Never
    >> did get around to setting it up (dual boot).

    That's the one problem about a new operating system every six months. I
    was happily running Dapper until a year ago. Then I upgraded and ended up
    with a perfectly fine setup running Edgy. Six months later I upgraded to
    Feisty and am currently running a perfectly fine system. And now, over
    the coming weekend, I'll upgrade to Gutsy and, most likely, end up with a
    perfectly fine running system.... It all seems a bit pointless when I
    could have stayed with Dapper (possibly) or Edgy (definitely).

    I guess I should stop upgrading my software and start upgrading my
    hardware.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Oct 18, 2007
  8. In message <ff6fmu$r02$>, Lodi wrote:

    > That's the one problem about a new operating system every six months.

    Heh, try Gentoo--something new every day. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2007
  9. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Malcolm" typed:
    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:10:45 +1300
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Somewhere on the interweb "Peter" typed:
    > > >
    > > > cool

    > > Heh! I still have the "Feisty Fawn" DVD ISO on my HDD somewhere.
    > > Never did get around to setting it up (dual boot).

    > Young luke is weakening.....an iso on the hard drive, come on over
    > to the darkside................. ;-)

    Hehee! Now if only I had HDD space for the install...

    Might have to burn some xvids off to DVDR. <g>
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 18, 2007
  10. Shane

    Alan Guest

    I am running Kubuntu 7.04 - my first dabble with Kubuntu.

    Will the update to 7.10 just appear in the system tray as an available
    update (a la the normal package updates and similar to when Windows
    has an update available) or do I have to actually download 7.10
    separately?

    Thanks,
    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Oct 18, 2007

    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

    Mark Robinson, Oct 18, 2007
  12. Shane

    Alan Guest

    Ahh - The classic RTFM!

    Thank!

    Alan, Oct 18, 2007
  13. Alan wrote:
    > Ahh - The classic RTFM!
    >
    > Thank!

    My pleasure with no RTFM attitude intended.

    Mark Robinson, Oct 18, 2007
  14. Shane

    Alan Guest

    No no - not at all!

    I was saying it to myself. You never came across that way at all.

    Sorry for giving that impression.

    Alan, Oct 18, 2007
  15. Shane

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=-, Oct 18, 2007
  16. Shane

    sam Guest

    sam, Oct 18, 2007
  17. Shane

    sam Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Alan wrote:
    >> Ahh - The classic RTFM!

    > Classic Linux RTFM, actually.
    >
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading has a link for some of us
    > using older versions (like 6.10),
    > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/UpgradeFromOldVersion which nobody
    > has got around to writing yet, despite it being quite important that
    > older installations are upgraded correctly.
    >
    > Some FM.

    I don't think it is possible to upgrade except from the next latest
    version with Ubuntu, (and I have tried) so you end up doing multiple
    upgrades which takes longer than downloading a clean install.
    6.10 to 7.10 won't work.
    apt-get dist-upgrade definitely doesn't work out as well as in Debian,
    and if you have intslled Automatix, forgetaboutit.

    sam, Oct 18, 2007
  18. In message <4717c254$>, sam wrote:

    > I don't think it is possible to upgrade except from the next latest
    > version with Ubuntu, (and I have tried) so you end up doing multiple
    > upgrades which takes longer than downloading a clean install.

    I never bother with an upgrade for new versions, I always do a clean
    install.

    Tip: when first setting up a new machine, make sure you have separate OS and
    user partitions. Also, set up another partition, the same size as the OS
    partition, but leave it unused. Then, when the next version comes out (or
    some other distro comes out that you want to try), you can install it into
    the unused partition, and share the same user partition. This leaves your
    old OS installation untouched, as a backup.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2007
  19. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <4717c254$>, sam wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think it is possible to upgrade except from the next latest
    >> version with Ubuntu, (and I have tried) so you end up doing multiple
    >> upgrades which takes longer than downloading a clean install.

    > I never bother with an upgrade for new versions, I always do a clean
    > install.
    >
    > Tip: when first setting up a new machine, make sure you have separate OS
    > and user partitions. Also, set up another partition, the same size as the
    > OS partition, but leave it unused. Then, when the next version comes out
    > (or some other distro comes out that you want to try), you can install it
    > into the unused partition, and share the same user partition. This leaves
    > your old OS installation untouched, as a backup.

    I did an upgrade on my other box this morning. I couldnt follow the
    instructions so I did the following

    vi /etc/apt/sources.list
    :%s/feisty/gutsy/g
    :wq
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

    35 minutes to download 700 MB, 45 minutes to upgrade the existing packages.
    Being an upgrade I was asked on 6 occasions if I wanted to install the new
    conf file, or keep my existing

    The beauty of apt, no unnecessary reinstallations

    --
    Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.

    Shane, Oct 19, 2007
  20. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > I did an upgrade on my other box this morning. I couldnt follow the
    > instructions so I did the following
    >
    > vi /etc/apt/sources.list
    > :%s/feisty/gutsy/g
    > :wq
    > apt-get update
    > apt-get dist-upgrade
    >
    > 35 minutes to download 700 MB, 45 minutes to upgrade the existing
    > packages. Being an upgrade I was asked on 6 occasions if I wanted to
    > install the new conf file, or keep my existing
    >
    > The beauty of apt, no unnecessary reinstallations

    corrected
    --
    Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.

    Shane, Oct 19, 2007