Gutsy moan

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Oct 30, 2007.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    After a week or so I'm not terribly impressed with Gutsy.

    I use Kubuntu cos I like the flexibility of KDE but three major gripes in
    three days has me thinking of reverting to edgy and use that as my main
    operating system.

    Moan 1: OOcalc (using OpenOffice 2.3.0) continually crashes when using/
    creating functions. Was no problem in edgy and OO ver2.2

    Moan 2: I can't believe it but the "k3b turns DVD+R's into coasters"
    problem is still there after first being mentioned when Feisty came out
    six months ago. The solution proffered was to wait until Gutsy when it
    would be fixed. Gutsy came and yesterday I needed to archive to DVD+R and
    ended up with another coaster for the collection.

    The annoying thing is that as this problem doesn't appear in all machines/
    configurations there doesn't seem to be any urgency in fixing it.
    Although if you google "k3b errors" you'll see there's enough people
    complaining.

    If anyone's interested the bug report is...
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/k3b/ bug/91210

    Moan 3: I do like Gimp but it still doesn't have my favourite photoshop
    option "save for web". It's been promised for near on a year. There is a
    tarball you can download but although it says Gimp 2.3 or later the
    installation script is specific to Gimp 2.2 and Gutsy ships with Gimp 2.4
    RC (and I can't edit the installation script cos I'm not clever enough)

    Enough moaning. Be thankful for the clever people who do this in the
    first place. And it's still great not having to go the MS path.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Oct 30, 2007

  2. Lodi

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:07:21 +0100 (CET)
    Lodi <> wrote:

    > After a week or so I'm not terribly impressed with Gutsy.
    >
    > I use Kubuntu cos I like the flexibility of KDE but three major
    > gripes in three days has me thinking of reverting to edgy and use
    > that as my main operating system.
    >
    > Moan 1: OOcalc (using OpenOffice 2.3.0) continually crashes when
    > using/ creating functions. Was no problem in edgy and OO ver2.2
    >
    > Moan 2: I can't believe it but the "k3b turns DVD+R's into coasters"
    > problem is still there after first being mentioned when Feisty came
    > out six months ago. The solution proffered was to wait until Gutsy
    > when it would be fixed. Gutsy came and yesterday I needed to archive
    > to DVD+R and ended up with another coaster for the collection.
    >
    > The annoying thing is that as this problem doesn't appear in all
    > machines/ configurations there doesn't seem to be any urgency in
    > fixing it. Although if you google "k3b errors" you'll see there's
    > enough people complaining.
    >
    > If anyone's interested the bug report is...
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/k3b/ bug/91210
    >
    > Moan 3: I do like Gimp but it still doesn't have my favourite
    > photoshop option "save for web". It's been promised for near on a
    > year. There is a tarball you can download but although it says Gimp
    > 2.3 or later the installation script is specific to Gimp 2.2 and
    > Gutsy ships with Gimp 2.4 RC (and I can't edit the installation
    > script cos I'm not clever enough)
    >
    > Enough moaning. Be thankful for the clever people who do this in the
    > first place. And it's still great not having to go the MS path.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Hi
    For k3b, slow the burn speed down.There has been a discussion over in
    alt.os.linux.suse about this including Joerg Schilling (cdrecord
    author), you may want to go have a read. The subject is K3b and
    OpenSuse 10.3 or download his version from;
    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    Malcolm, Oct 30, 2007

  3. In message <>, Malcolm wrote:

    > For k3b, slow the burn speed down.There has been a discussion over in
    > alt.os.linux.suse about this including Joerg Schilling (cdrecord
    > author) ...

    Does Gutsy still use Schilling's cdrecord app? I thought Debian was moving
    away from it and joining the cdrkit fork instead (difficulties in working
    with Schilling).
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 31, 2007
  4. Lodi

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:39:16 +1300
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <>, Malcolm
    > wrote:
    >
    > > For k3b, slow the burn speed down.There has been a discussion over
    > > in alt.os.linux.suse about this including Joerg Schilling (cdrecord
    > > author) ...

    > Does Gutsy still use Schilling's cdrecord app? I thought Debian was
    > moving away from it and joining the cdrkit fork instead (difficulties
    > in working with Schilling).

    No, it uses the fork and I think the issue was the change from GPL.

    I've always tended to burn at a slow speed and have had no problems,
    although I only ran Gutsy for a few days on the notebook, now running
    opensuse 10.3 on it which uses wodim (another fork).

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    Malcolm, Oct 31, 2007
  5. In message <>, Malcolm wrote:

    > ... opensuse 10.3 on it which uses wodim (another fork).

    wodim is part of the same cdrkit fork.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 31, 2007
  6. Lodi

    peter Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > After a week or so I'm not terribly impressed with Gutsy.

    Running Kubuntu 7.10 here. Haven't noticed a lot different to Feisty.

    > Moan 1: OOcalc (using OpenOffice 2.3.0) continually crashes when using/
    > creating functions. Was no problem in edgy and OO ver2.2

    Haven't had that happen here. Is it some particular function, or any
    function?

    > Moan 2: I can't believe it but the "k3b turns DVD+R's into coasters"
    > problem is still there after first being mentioned when Feisty came out
    > six months ago.

    Hasn't happened here. CDs and DVDs appear to write ok, although I've only
    done a couple so far.

    > Moan 3: I do like Gimp but it still doesn't have my favourite photoshop
    > option "save for web".

    Sounds interesting, what does "save for web" do?

    There was a glitch in adept, where it kept offering to upgrade Kubuntu 7.10
    to Kubuntu 7.10. This was fixed with one of the updates.

    Peter
    peter, Oct 31, 2007
  7. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Apologies to all penguins for yesterdays moan. Was having a bad day.

    >> Lodi wrote:
    >> After a week or so I'm not terribly impressed with Gutsy.

    > Running Kubuntu 7.10 here. Haven't noticed a lot different to Feisty.

    Agreed that on the face of it there's little difference between Feisty
    and Gutsy. Guess it's all in the background.

    >> Moan 1: OOcalc (using OpenOffice 2.3.0) continually crashes when using/
    >> creating functions. Was no problem in edgy and OO ver2.2

    > Haven't had that happen here. Is it some particular function, or any
    > function?

    A simple "if...then" function. Couldn't get past the function wizard
    crashing. Ended up using gnumeric which is an old favourite of mine. To
    be honest, OpenOffice is a bit too heavy for my machine anyway (512 MB
    ram)

    >> Moan 2: I can't believe it but the "k3b turns DVD+R's into coasters"
    >> problem is still there after first being mentioned when Feisty came out
    >> six months ago.

    > Hasn't happened here. CDs and DVDs appear to write ok, although I've
    > only done a couple so far.

    Wasn't aware there was a back story to the k3b carry-on (thanks Malcolm).
    DVD RW's aren't a problem. Just DVD+R's. I resorted to borrowing my
    brother's laptop and archiving the files using Nero and XP. Richmond to
    the rescue. (Just don't tell fred, biggles, scrooge etc)

    Burning speed isn't an issue. It's possibly not even a k3b issue. Several
    of the threads mention gnomebaker, gtoaster and other burning apps which
    used to work under edgy not working under feisty. It's a total pain to be
    honest. Glad to see that it hasn't effected your machine.

    >> Moan 3: I do like Gimp but it still doesn't have my favourite photoshop
    >> option "save for web".

    > Sounds interesting, what does "save for web" do?

    "Save for web" is a file menu option in photoshop which can convert a
    ~800KB jpg to ~80KB without an obvious loss of quality. I wouldn't need
    it if people knew how to set up their digital camera properly. I get sent
    a dozen snapshots in a 10MB zip and forward it on as a 1 MB zip.

    Using gimp you need a combination of "scale image" and "save as/image
    quality". It's a bit of a run-around and the quality to file size ratio
    isn't as good as with "save for web"

    All moans aside, I'm still much happier using Kubuntu than MS. I've even
    got the perfect excuse for when I get asked to sort out someones infected
    MS machine...."Sorry. I haven't kept up with what's going on in Windows
    software. I'm a Linux user so I can't really help you". Superb.

    Once again, apologies to all penguins and members of the Spheniscidae
    family. The work you do is greatly appreciated.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Nov 1, 2007
  8. In message <fgbpa0$vt$>, Lodi wrote:

    > "Save for web" is a file menu option in photoshop which can convert a
    > ~800KB jpg to ~80KB without an obvious loss of quality. I wouldn't need
    > it if people knew how to set up their digital camera properly.

    I wouldn't use any digital camera that only produced 80KB JPEG files.

    > Using gimp you need a combination of "scale image" and "save as/image
    > quality". It's a bit of a run-around and the quality to file size ratio
    > isn't as good as with "save for web"

    Have you tried cjpeg -optimize? Perhaps stick it in a Gimp script, to save
    the run-around.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2007
  9. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 19:04:53 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> In message <fgbpa0$vt$>, Lodi wrote:

    >> "Save for web" is a file menu option in photoshop which can convert a
    >> ~800KB jpg to ~80KB without an obvious loss of quality. I wouldn't need
    >> it if people knew how to set up their digital camera properly.

    > I wouldn't use any digital camera that only produced 80KB JPEG files.

    Didn't explain myself clearly there sorry. The setting up of the digital
    camera isn't the problem (although personally I reckon a 1.5MB 1800x1200
    jpg of some blurry five year old on a roundabout is a waste of bandwidth)
    It's when people send me a dozen megabyte-sized holiday snapshots as
    email attachments. 120KB max for a snapshot.

    If you're a "serious" photographer then by all means set your camera to
    3072x2048 and go get those 7MB photos. But if you're taking photos of
    your child's school play and then sending them to me then 1024x768
    economy setting is fine.

    >> Using gimp you need a combination of "scale image" and "save as/image
    >> quality". It's a bit of a run-around and the quality to file size ratio
    >> isn't as good as with "save for web"

    > Have you tried cjpeg -optimize? Perhaps stick it in a Gimp script, to
    > save the run-around.

    Another of the wonders of the command line. (There's so many commands I
    don't know :) Just did a "man cjpeg" and it looks interesting for a
    rainy day. Thanks for that.....but having said that it would still be
    nice if the gimp plug-in tarball I originally mentioned installed
    properly into gimp 2.4 as it says it's supposed to.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Nov 1, 2007
  10. Lodi

    Guest

    >On Nov 1, 6:47 pm, Lodi <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Moan 2: I can't believe it but the "k3b turns DVD+R's into coasters"
    > >> problem is still there after first being mentioned when Feisty came out
    > >> six months ago.

    > > Hasn't happened here. CDs and DVDs appear to write ok, although I've
    > > only done a couple so far.

    > Wasn't aware there was a back story to the k3b carry-on (thanks Malcolm).
    > DVD RW's aren't a problem. Just DVD+R's. I resorted to borrowing my
    > brother's laptop and archiving the files using Nero and XP. Richmond to
    > the rescue. (Just don't tell fred, biggles, scrooge etc)
    >
    > Burning speed isn't an issue. It's possibly not even a k3b issue. Several
    > of the threads mention gnomebaker, gtoaster and other burning apps which
    > used to work under edgy not working under feisty. It's a total pain to be
    > honest. Glad to see that it hasn't effected your machine.

    Just a follow-up for anyone googling k3b error and gutsy.....

    Am running Ubuntu Gutsy with the Kubuntu Desktop. I upgraded K3B from
    1.0.3 to 1.0.4
    Had to install from source as the official gutsy repository only has
    K3B 1.0.3
    http://k3b.plainblack.com/installation

    In conjunction with KDE 3.5.8 I finally manged to do a successful burn
    and verification to a DVD+R

    It was just archiving a few avi's but it's quite an achievement after
    a dozen or so failures over the last year-ish.

    DVD+RW's are still no problem.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Lodi
    , Nov 15, 2007