GURU HELP NEEDED!!! "Physical dump to memory"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by E, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. E

    E Guest

    This is an HP Pavilion ZV5000-series laptop, P4 3.06GHz, 1.25GB memory.
    After purchase I fdisk'd it, installed W XP Pro and all the drivers. It's
    now about three months past warranty, of course. Protection is by Avast,
    Kerio, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, HijackThis, RegistryMechanic,
    Rootkit Revealer (though I have little clue!), and online checks -- with
    very few problems ever found.

    It's run fine for a year as a desktop replacement, going from office to
    home, with excellent reliability and speed, with an HP expansion base at
    each end. Never overheated, never dropped, no spills, etc. Recently it's
    begun showing a blue screen, unpredictably - I have no idea what might
    trigger it. Here's what's displayed:

    ******************************
    CAUSED BY WIN32K.SYS
    then...
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

    then...
    a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x

    then...
    ***WIN32K.SYS
    ADDRESS BF80D405
    BASE AT BF800000
    DATESTAMP 43446a58

    DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY (countup timer by percent)
    *******************************
    It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.

    I am NOT certain that the problem is the same each time, but today I wrote
    it down.

    HELP!!!!
    E, Feb 8, 2006

  2. E

    old jon Guest

    "E" <> wrote in message news:8WqGf.14248$...
    > This is an HP Pavilion ZV5000-series laptop, P4 3.06GHz, 1.25GB memory.

    snipped
    > then...
    > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    >
    > then...
    > a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x
    >
    > then...
    > ***WIN32K.SYS
    > ADDRESS BF80D405
    > BASE AT BF800000
    > DATESTAMP 43446a58
    >
    > DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY (countup timer by percent)
    > *******************************
    > It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.

    The best place to get a response to your question is MS Knowledge base,
    Here are some more places to try. Error msg numbers are a great help.
    So jot them down on paper.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA&meta=

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Feb 8, 2006

  3. E wrote:

    > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

    http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=335

    Not that it gives a final solution, but it spots possible causes.

    > then...
    > a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x
    >
    > then...
    > ***WIN32K.SYS
    > ADDRESS BF80D405
    > BASE AT BF800000
    > DATESTAMP 43446a58
    >
    > DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY (countup timer by percent)
    > *******************************
    > It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.

    Dumping 1.25Gig of RAM (if you really specified a "full dump" in your system
    settings) should not take such long - even a laptop drive usually does
    15MB/sec, which would give considerably less than 2 minutes. I assume the
    health of your laptop harddrive is questionable.
    I had issues where mysterious program errors occured just because of b0rken
    executables due to dying harddrives.
    Get some diagnosis tool (laptop or harddrive vendors websites, or knoppix)
    and check out.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Feb 8, 2006
  4. E

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:40:11 -0800, E wrote:

    >This is an HP Pavilion ZV5000-series laptop, P4 3.06GHz, 1.25GB memory.

    <snip>

    >begun showing a blue screen, unpredictably - I have no idea what might
    >trigger it. Here's what's displayed:
    >
    >******************************
    >CAUSED BY WIN32K.SYS
    >then...
    >PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    >
    >then...
    >a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x
    >
    >then...
    >***WIN32K.SYS

    <snip>

    >It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.
    >
    >I am NOT certain that the problem is the same each time, but today I wrote
    >it down.

    Not all of it.

    Since I can't be bothered to look for you, in past posts, an easy search
    is http://images.google.com , 'xp bsod' gives this
    http://www.remont-pc.ru/images/ntfs/blue_s1.gif , which is just what is
    in 24HSHD past posts already.

    After the STOP the first and even 2nd numbers are important.

    >HELP!!!!

    Similar posts in 24HSHD contain lots of links to this type of message
    and quite a number of sites with fault finding steps.

    Search,

    Not forgetting the MS Knowledgebase site, oddly enough as XP is a MS
    product.

    WIN32K.SYS , ERD Commander www.winternals.com , used at work for this
    type of thing IIRC.

    Otherwise, a rebuild remembering to have all device drivers , security
    apps , other apps, data / mail backed up, passwords and other info ISP
    setup etc. all available.

    Me
    why?, Feb 8, 2006
  5. E

    Shep© Guest

    On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:40:11 -0800 One man come in the name of truth
    "E" <> sent this :

    >This is an HP Pavilion ZV5000-series laptop, P4 3.06GHz, 1.25GB memory.
    >After purchase I fdisk'd it, installed W XP Pro and all the drivers. It's
    >now about three months past warranty, of course. Protection is by Avast,
    >Kerio, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, HijackThis, RegistryMechanic,
    >Rootkit Revealer (though I have little clue!), and online checks -- with
    >very few problems ever found.
    >
    >It's run fine for a year as a desktop replacement, going from office to
    >home, with excellent reliability and speed, with an HP expansion base at
    >each end. Never overheated, never dropped, no spills, etc. Recently it's
    >begun showing a blue screen, unpredictably - I have no idea what might
    >trigger it. Here's what's displayed:
    >
    >******************************
    >CAUSED BY WIN32K.SYS
    >then...
    >PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    >
    >then...
    >a series of 8-byte addresses, each headed by 0x
    >
    >then...
    >***WIN32K.SYS
    >ADDRESS BF80D405
    >BASE AT BF800000
    >DATESTAMP 43446a58
    >
    >DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY (countup timer by percent)
    >*******************************
    >It takes 10-15 l...o...n...g minutes, then it reboots and runs fine.
    >
    >I am NOT certain that the problem is the same each time, but today I wrote
    >it down.
    >
    >HELP!!!!

    I would suspect a faulty RAM module or dirty faulty slot.Remove and
    clean the edges of the ram with some clear alcohol and tissue or an
    eraser and re-insert.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,