    for the gigabit ethernet channel (trunk) connecting the switch to the
    rest of the network ?

    , Jan 24, 2006

  2. Kevin Widner Guest

    Not sure that a chart actually exists, but the answer is probably
    determined by several factors. What is the function of the trunk? Is it
    an uplink from an access layer switch or a connection between two core
    devices? Does the access layer switch have Servers connected to it, or
    general use desktop computers? How is your network used (lots of
    voice/video, large file transfer traffic)?

    Kevin Widner, Jan 24, 2006

  3. Kevin Widner Guest

    Oh and btw, in a wiring closet with desktop computers, you shouldn't be
    concerned with 15:1 or even 20:1, and that number seems to grow as more
    and more gigabit desktops are being sold. Just because that machine has
    a gigabit nic, doesn't mean it could actually perform at a level that
    would actually utilize 1 Gbps.

    Kevin Widner, Jan 24, 2006
  4. Guest

    I think it would be interesting to consider all the scenerios, but
    let's just say generically it's a fully loaded 4500 series switch in a
    wiring closet and you're trunking it back to a core switch in the data
    center. The traffic is office printing, shared drive access on several
    W2K servers, and outlook e-mail primarily. I have yet to see a Cisco
    press book that explains how to do the actual engineering on different
    scenarios -- they are great for telling you the concepts and the
    configuration commands to make it happen -- but what about the math ?
    What should the assumptions be ? At least 1 megabit per second
    guaranteed under peak conditions ? More ?

    Kevin Widner wrote:
    > Not sure that a chart actually exists, but the answer is probably
    > determined by several factors. What is the function of the trunk? Is it
    > an uplink from an access layer switch or a connection between two core
    > devices? Does the access layer switch have Servers connected to it, or
    > general use desktop computers? How is your network used (lots of
    > voice/video, large file transfer traffic)?

    , Jan 25, 2006
  5. Kevin Widner Guest

    Kevin Widner, Jan 25, 2006