Guide: Changing your Power Supply fan

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RObErT_RaTh, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Changing your Power Supply fan
    By RObErT_RaTh
    Let's start off with a disclaimer shall we?
    Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for damage to your computer and its hardware nor do I take responsibility for you injuring yourself whilst performing this mod. Anything you do is at your own risk.
    Now that's out of the way I thought I would write a guide for this mod to try and help start up the new modding section and this is a reasonably easy mod so pretty much anyone with some minimal soldering skills should be able to do it if your psu doesn't have a fan connector. I have written this guide using a PSU that doesn't have a fan connector so no matter what PSU you have, you should be able to do this mod. If you have a connector to fit a fan then use it but just make sure the positive (red) and negative (black) wires on the fan match up to the correct fan connector pins in the PSU.
    First off for this mod you will need the following:
    -A Power Supply (PSU)
    -New 80mm fan to replace the stock one (Must not have a significantly less amount of airflow to ensure PSU doesn't overheat)
    -Philips head Screwdriver
    -Wire Cutters
    -Wire Strippers
    -Soldering Iron and Solder
    Random5 says you might want to unplug the PSU (from the wall) then hit the power button (on the pc it's still plugged into) to discharge the caps. Odds are small, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    I say if your PSU is not in a computer then see if you can find one to plug it into. We don't want to see anyone getting electricuted.
    Now start by taking off the lid of your PSU to expose the insides, you will need to unscrew 4 screws to do so. Once you have the lid off, unscrew the stock 80mm fan and trace back it's wires to see where they go.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Mine had 2 wires coming from it connecting to their own spot on the Printed Circuit Board (PCB). Write down or remember their position so you dont get it confused and solder the wires on the wrong way around. Be sure to take note which spot on the PCB is for the positive (red) and which spot is for the negative (black).
    Once you have located and noted the wires orientation on the PCB you need to cut off your original fan close to the PCB but leave enough wire for you to pull on to get the wires out later because we will solder the new fan straight into the PCB like the original fan. Some people like soldering to the little bits of wire hanging from the board but I see no point. The only advantage is that you dont have to unscrew the main PCB to get under it to solder but the less joints you have the less chance of error there is.
    [​IMG]
    Once you have cut the wires you need to get them out of the board. For this we need to preheat our Soldering Iron to 350C (if it has a temp control) and once it is hot enough we heat up the solder joint and then simply pull out the wire. Make sure you desolder the correct joint ;) You will need to unscrew the main PCB so you can work on the underside of it to do this. Repeat this step for the second wire and try not to cover the hole with solder when you pull out the wire. Sometimes it cant be helped but it just makes things easier.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Once you have desoldered the 2 bits of wire we need to get the fan ready. For the purposes of this guide I used the same fan but you can use any fan you want whether it be a quieter one or one with flashy lights that looks better. Cut off the fans connector (if it has one and the PSU doesn't have a connector that suits) and strip the ends of the red and black wires. You only need a couple mm's. Some fans have a third yellow wire for measuring the speed that the fan is spinning but you dont have to worry about it with this mod, the fan will still work without it. Just tape it up to shield it from other parts and leave it be.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Now feed the first wire into its correct hole on the PCB and bend it over across its own track and not another. This will help prevent against shorting anything because if you go through the protective coating it will be on the same track and wont matter. Push the wire up against the PCB as much as you can because we DONT want exposed wire underneath the insulation on the top side of the board. With the wire through the hole and bent, cut off any excess wire with your cutters. The length of the wire should be 1.5x the diameter of the hole so not very big at all. Heat up the wire and solder pad with the soldering iron and apply a tiny amount of solder. The solder should you soak into the joint. If it just forms a blob it is not hot enough so you need to hold it on longer or you have used too much solder. Make sure the solder doesn't go over to any other joints or tracks. Repeat the process for the second wire. Do NOT solder the wire and then cut the joint after, it leaves the wire exposed and can corrode over time.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And you're finished! Mount the new fan, replace the cover and away you go. I hope people find this guide useful. If you have any questions then please post them in this thread.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 24, 2005