Guest user logon on my computer

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by whoever, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. whoever

    whoever Guest

    I downloaded a little program called Belarc Advisor. Among other things it
    reports the last logon of all users. Periodically (every few days or so) it
    shows that Guest has logged on at such and such a date and time. I do not
    even have Guest access available on this machine since I'm the only one who
    uses it.
    I don't know if this Guest logon is something I should be concerned about or
    not. Can someone let me know what this might be and make some
    recommendations for me?

    I don't run any firewall other than my Netgear router (RP614v2), running XP
    professional SP1 with auto updates turned off for the moment because of it's
    persistance to make me update to SP2 which I do not want to do at this time.

    If I need more/tighter security can someone recommend something that doesn't
    interfere with my legitimate programs that need to access the internet, i.e.
    3DSMax? I've tried using Blackice and Zone Alarm but they seem very
    overzealous. I just need something that can alert me to an intruder but
    doesn't block my stuff from accessing the internet.

    Thanks for any and all advice.

    whoever, Sep 25, 2004

  2. whoever

    andy smart Guest

    whoever wrote:

    > I downloaded a little program called Belarc Advisor. Among other things it
    > reports the last logon of all users. Periodically (every few days or so) it
    > shows that Guest has logged on at such and such a date and time. I do not
    > even have Guest access available on this machine since I'm the only one who
    > uses it.
    > I don't know if this Guest logon is something I should be concerned about or
    > not. Can someone let me know what this might be and make some
    > recommendations for me?
    >
    > I don't run any firewall other than my Netgear router (RP614v2), running XP
    > professional SP1 with auto updates turned off for the moment because of it's
    > persistance to make me update to SP2 which I do not want to do at this time.
    >
    > If I need more/tighter security can someone recommend something that doesn't
    > interfere with my legitimate programs that need to access the internet, i.e.
    > 3DSMax? I've tried using Blackice and Zone Alarm but they seem very
    > overzealous. I just need something that can alert me to an intruder but
    > doesn't block my stuff from accessing the internet.
    >
    > Thanks for any and all advice.

    That 'overzealousness' is what you need - I call it efficiency.

    It's taken me 3 evenings (and in total probably about 2 hours) to train
    my home copy of Zone alarm to ignore the vast bulk of the stuff I use -
    and it's also blocked a lot of incomming traffic and picked up one
    program that was sending information out.

    andy smart, Sep 25, 2004

  3. whoever

    donnie Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:53:41 GMT, "whoever" <> wrote:

    >I downloaded a little program called Belarc Advisor. Among other things it
    >reports the last logon of all users. Periodically (every few days or so) it
    >shows that Guest has logged on at such and such a date and time. I do not
    >even have Guest access available on this machine since I'm the only one who
    >uses it.
    >I don't know if this Guest logon is something I should be concerned about or
    >not. Can someone let me know what this might be and make some
    >recommendations for me?
    >
    >I don't run any firewall other than my Netgear router (RP614v2), running XP
    >professional SP1 with auto updates turned off for the moment because of it's
    >persistance to make me update to SP2 which I do not want to do at this time.
    >
    >If I need more/tighter security can someone recommend something that doesn't
    >interfere with my legitimate programs that need to access the internet, i.e.
    >3DSMax? I've tried using Blackice and Zone Alarm but they seem very
    >overzealous. I just need something that can alert me to an intruder but
    >doesn't block my stuff from accessing the internet.
    >
    >Thanks for any and all advice.

    ######################
    Either remove guest or at least password protect it.
    control panel, users and passwds, highlight guest and set passwd

    donnie, Sep 26, 2004
  4. whoever

    Penguin_X Guest

    whoever wrote:
    > I downloaded a little program called Belarc Advisor. Among other things it
    > reports the last logon of all users. Periodically (every few days or so) it
    > shows that Guest has logged on at such and such a date and time. I do not
    > even have Guest access available on this machine since I'm the only one who
    > uses it.
    > I don't know if this Guest logon is something I should be concerned about or
    > not. Can someone let me know what this might be and make some
    > recommendations for me?
    >
    > I don't run any firewall other than my Netgear router (RP614v2), running XP
    > professional SP1 with auto updates turned off for the moment because of it's
    > persistance to make me update to SP2 which I do not want to do at this time.
    >
    > If I need more/tighter security can someone recommend something that doesn't
    > interfere with my legitimate programs that need to access the internet, i.e.
    > 3DSMax? I've tried using Blackice and Zone Alarm but they seem very
    > overzealous. I just need something that can alert me to an intruder but
    > doesn't block my stuff from accessing the internet.
    >
    > Thanks for any and all advice.

    OS ?

    Penguin_X, Sep 26, 2004
  5. In article <qXA5d.12$>, on Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:09:37 -0400, Penguin_X
    <> wrote:

    | whoever wrote:

    <snip />

    | > running XP professional SP1 with auto updates turned off for the moment because of it's
    | > persistance to make me update to SP2 which I do not want to do at this time.

    | OS ?

    Learn to read LOL

    <davidp />

    --
    David Postill

    David Postill, Sep 26, 2004
  6. whoever

    David Shaw Guest

    Is this program picking up a romote login as guest or someone actually
    physically logging in as guest? If it's the former, lockdown your
    computer _now_. If it's the latter, perhaps you (or some Microsoft
    service) is logged in as guest, so I wouldn't worry *too* much about
    it.

    -ds

    David Shaw, Sep 26, 2004
  7. whoever

    TopDog Guest

    Download Service Pack 2 and activate the Windows Firewall

    TopDog, Oct 8, 2004
  8. whoever

    donnie Guest

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:06:19 -0700, "TopDog" <dlh7_at_yahoo_dot_com>
    wrote:

    >Download Service Pack 2 and activate the Windows Firewall

    ###################
    I don't like software firewalls very much. If it's not a dialup
    situation, I prefer a router
    donnie

    donnie, Oct 9, 2004
  9. whoever

    Bill Unruh Guest

    ]wrote:

    ]>Download Service Pack 2 and activate the Windows Firewall
    ]>
    ]###################
    ]I don't like software firewalls very much. If it's not a dialup
    ]situation, I prefer a router

    And how do you think your router firewall works? Magic?
    It is also software on a computer.

    Bill Unruh, Oct 9, 2004
  10. whoever

    donnie Guest

    On 9 Oct 2004 00:14:16 GMT, (Bill Unruh)
    wrote:

    >donnie <> writes:
    >
    >]On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:06:19 -0700, "TopDog" <dlh7_at_yahoo_dot_com>
    >]wrote:
    >
    >]>Download Service Pack 2 and activate the Windows Firewall
    >]>
    >]###################
    >]I don't like software firewalls very much. If it's not a dialup
    >]situation, I prefer a router
    >
    >And how do you think your router firewall works? Magic?
    >It is also software on a computer.

    What I should have said was, I like the idea of the computers having
    internal IP addresses. I think it's far more secure.

    donnie, Oct 9, 2004
  11. whoever

    jim Guest

    Do you have multiple computers? If so, one may be using the printer
    through guest privs.

    jim, Oct 10, 2004