    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Aaron J. Bossig

    M.B. Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I've been looking to get some new squipment for my network, and
    > I've been contemplating adding a Mac Mini to the works. I'd be
    > nice (not crucial, but nice) to have it come with a Blu-Ray drive.
    > Isn't it about time for Apple to upgrade the line, with the holiday
    > season approaching, and if so, do you think it's likely we'll
    > see a Blu-Ray enabled Mini?

    They just upgraded the minis last week. They went from an Intel Core
    Solo processor to all of them having Core Duos. So it's unlikely they
    will upgrade them again between now and Christmas time.

    M.B., Sep 11, 2006

  3. "M.B." <> wrote in news:-OqdnZ6-
    :

    >> I've been looking to get some new squipment for my network, and
    >> I've been contemplating adding a Mac Mini to the works. I'd be
    >> nice (not crucial, but nice) to have it come with a Blu-Ray drive.
    >> Isn't it about time for Apple to upgrade the line, with the holiday
    >> season approaching, and if so, do you think it's likely we'll
    >> see a Blu-Ray enabled Mini?
    >>

    > They just upgraded the minis last week. They went from an Intel Core
    > Solo processor to all of them having Core Duos. So it's unlikely they
    > will upgrade them again between now and Christmas time.

    Thanks, I missed that announcement. Oh well, we'll see what the
    future brings.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    > "M.B." <> wrote in news:-OqdnZ6-
    > :
    >

    >>>I've been looking to get some new squipment for my network, and
    >>>I've been contemplating adding a Mac Mini to the works. I'd be
    >>>nice (not crucial, but nice) to have it come with a Blu-Ray drive.
    >>>Isn't it about time for Apple to upgrade the line, with the holiday
    >>>season approaching, and if so, do you think it's likely we'll
    >>>see a Blu-Ray enabled Mini?
    >>>

    >>They just upgraded the minis last week. They went from an Intel Core
    >>Solo processor to all of them having Core Duos. So it's unlikely they
    >>will upgrade them again between now and Christmas time.

    > Thanks, I missed that announcement. Oh well, we'll see what the
    > future brings.

    Personally, though, Steve's not the type to send the entire company down
    one stream of the river until industry conventional wisdom has the war
    almost over--
    And since it's still a losing stalemate, he's still waiting in the
    trenches with the rest of us.

    Derek Janssen (sor-ree!)

    Derek Janssen, Sep 11, 2006
  5. Aaron J. Bossig

    M.B. Guest

    Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    > "M.B." <> wrote in news:-OqdnZ6-
    > :
    >

    >> They just upgraded the minis last week. They went from an Intel Core
    >> Solo processor to all of them having Core Duos. So it's unlikely they
    >> will upgrade them again between now and Christmas time.
    >>

    > Thanks, I missed that announcement. Oh well, we'll see what the
    > future brings.

    It wasn't actually announced. It was quietly released and announced on
    their web site. The big announcements are supposed to be coming
    Tuesday. But the rumor mill for that is most likely movie downloads and
    MAYBE a new iPod.

    M.B., Sep 11, 2006
  6. M.B. wrote:

    > It wasn't actually announced. It was quietly released and announced on
    > their web site. The big announcements are supposed to be coming
    > Tuesday. But the rumor mill for that is most likely movie downloads and
    > MAYBE a new iPod.

    Just to throw out a few absolute guesses [-GUESSES-]:

    iPod Video is just starting to become the default technology for studios
    to push their TV-rerun download product (yes, even Warner's given in),
    but that's essentially become king of the frog pond--
    It hasn't really become the "replacement for DVD" yet that clueless
    analysts thought it would.

    So far, Steve's big push to make the iPV (which he didn't really want to
    make in the first place) a new default technology has been to ask
    studios to include "iPod-ready" .MP4 versions of their movies as an
    extra on the commercial disks and HD's...Which would make the iPod the
    new universal/affordable replacement for the UMD and Mini-DVD disasters,
    the pricey portables, and the bulky laptops which may become too
    difficult for plane trips.

    Up till now, the Big Studios have been too busy fighting their HD-Blu
    battle with each other to listen to him, and the only one company who's
    taken him up on it so far was one of the mom-and-pop Public-Domain
    vultures who leap at anything.
    But I'll blue-sky a guess that we'll hear from one
    aggressively-marketing studio that's "decided" to experiment with the
    idea on a few upcoming disks...And by strange coincidence, will it just
    happen to be the studio Steve owns? :)
    (And the one that pretended they hadn't gotten bad customer reviews on
    "High School Musical", when customers who were already planning to buy
    the disk anyway didn't want to pay extra for a crappy 320 download?)

    Derek Janssen (I'm makin' this up, but who's in for a fiver?)

    Derek Janssen, Sep 11, 2006
  7. Aaron J. Bossig

    Alpha Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > M.B. wrote:
    >>
    >> It wasn't actually announced. It was quietly released and announced on
    >> their web site. The big announcements are supposed to be coming Tuesday.
    >> But the rumor mill for that is most likely movie downloads and MAYBE a
    >> new iPod.

    > Just to throw out a few absolute guesses [-GUESSES-]:
    >
    > iPod Video is just starting to become the default technology for studios
    > to push their TV-rerun download product (yes, even Warner's given in), but
    > that's essentially become king of the frog pond--
    > It hasn't really become the "replacement for DVD" yet that clueless
    > analysts thought it would.
    >
    > So far, Steve's big push to make the iPV (which he didn't really want to
    > make in the first place) a new default technology has been to ask studios
    > to include "iPod-ready" .MP4 versions of their movies as an extra on the
    > commercial disks and HD's...Which would make the iPod the new
    > universal/affordable replacement for the UMD and Mini-DVD disasters, the
    > pricey portables, and the bulky laptops which may become too difficult for
    > plane trips.
    >
    > Up till now, the Big Studios have been too busy fighting their HD-Blu
    > battle with each other to listen to him, and the only one company who's
    > taken him up on it so far was one of the mom-and-pop Public-Domain
    > vultures who leap at anything.
    > But I'll blue-sky a guess that we'll hear from one aggressively-marketing
    > studio that's "decided" to experiment with the idea on a few upcoming
    > disks...And by strange coincidence, will it just happen to be the studio
    > Steve owns? :)
    > (And the one that pretended they hadn't gotten bad customer reviews on
    > "High School Musical", when customers who were already planning to buy the
    > disk anyway didn't want to pay extra for a crappy 320 download?)
    >
    > Derek Janssen (I'm makin' this up, but who's in for a fiver?)

    Amazon has already made your analysis questionable.

    Alpha, Sep 11, 2006
  8. Alpha wrote:

    >>Just to throw out a few absolute guesses [-GUESSES-]:
    >>
    >>iPod Video is just starting to become the default technology for studios
    >>to push their TV-rerun download product (yes, even Warner's given in), but
    >>that's essentially become king of the frog pond--
    >>It hasn't really become the "replacement for DVD" yet that clueless
    >>analysts thought it would.
    >>
    >>So far, Steve's big push to make the iPV (which he didn't really want to
    >>make in the first place) a new default technology has been to ask studios
    >>to include "iPod-ready" .MP4 versions of their movies as an extra on the
    >>commercial disks and HD's...

    > Amazon has already made your analysis questionable.

    ....By what, doing a Blockbuster?

    Derek Janssen ("A Wal-Mart", perhaps?)

    Derek Janssen, Sep 11, 2006
  9. Derek Janssen wrote:

    >>> Just to throw out a few absolute guesses [-GUESSES-]:
    >>>
    >>> iPod Video is just starting to become the default technology for
    >>> studios to push their TV-rerun download product (yes, even Warner's
    >>> given in), but that's essentially become king of the frog pond--
    >>> It hasn't really become the "replacement for DVD" yet that clueless
    >>> analysts thought it would.
    >>>
    >>> So far, Steve's big push to make the iPV (which he didn't really want
    >>> to make in the first place) a new default technology has been to ask
    >>> studios to include "iPod-ready" .MP4 versions of their movies as an
    >>> extra on the commercial disks and HD's...

    >> Amazon has already made your analysis questionable.

    > ...By what, doing a Blockbuster?

    <checks>
    Ohh, I see, you mean that "Unbox" thing.

    Which can only be accessed through Amazon's own downloading software.
    For Windows only.
    To download files playable only on Plays for Sure-compatible players,
    such as the Toshiba, Archos, and Creative Zen.
    At prices equal to or more than the DVD release, at most discount
    outlets per sale.

    (How many reasons Why Apple Is Not Immediately Worried can YOU spot in
    the above?) :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 11, 2006
  10. Aaron J. Bossig

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Derek
    Janssen <> wrote:

    > Personally, though, Steve's not the type to send the entire company down
    > one stream of the river until industry conventional wisdom has the war
    > almost over--
    > And since it's still a losing stalemate, he's still waiting in the
    > trenches with the rest of us.

    Depends. Jobs put DVD-ROM's in computers too early, switching to CD-R
    when that proved more popular. A success on the early conversion front
    was going to USB before it was more then a rarely used option anywhere
    else. However, I agree that after getting burned on the dvd drives
    before he'll wait this time...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Sep 12, 2006
  11. Invid Fan wrote:

    >>Personally, though, Steve's not the type to send the entire company down
    >>one stream of the river until industry conventional wisdom has the war
    >>almost over--
    >>And since it's still a losing stalemate, he's still waiting in the
    >>trenches with the rest of us.

    > Depends. Jobs put DVD-ROM's in computers too early, switching to CD-R
    > when that proved more popular. A success on the early conversion front
    > was going to USB before it was more then a rarely used option anywhere
    > else. However, I agree that after getting burned on the dvd drives
    > before he'll wait this time...

    Plus, the issue of DVD-R for their Superdrives, before Microsoft went
    for +R--But that's excusable, as that war was still up in the air.
    (The current Intel Macs now burn both.)

    DVD recording was a necessity, but HD isn't yet, seeing as HD monitors
    are only a small niche of their sales, and run mostly QuickTime HD
    downloads--
    This war Steve can afford to wait out as objector.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 12, 2006