    --
    Though this be method, yet there is madness in 't

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

    Max Quordlepleen, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Max Quordlepleen

    Boomer Guest

    Max Quordlepleen said:

    > Snagged from another NG:
    >
    > Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to
    > be posted as
    > an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this
    > jewel has been
    > circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.

    Why doesn't that surprise me?

    Sheeesh!

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Max Quordlepleen

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:59:18 +1200, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    >Snagged from another NG:
    >
    >Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
    >posted as
    >an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has
    >been
    >circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.

    Nice one, I finally got to see what all the fuss is about.

    Thanks
    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Max Quordlepleen

    Ron Martell Guest

    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote:

    >Snagged from another NG:
    >
    >Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
    >posted as
    >an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has
    >been
    >circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.

    I have yet to see any such item attached to any posting in any of the
    30+ microsoft.public newsgroups that I subscribe to.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 21, 2003
  5. On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:40:48 GMT, Ron Martell <>
    proffered, in : news::

    > I have yet to see any such item attached to any posting in any of the
    > 30+ microsoft.public newsgroups that I subscribe to.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --

    Thanks, Ron, it's nice to have authoritative refutation of the above. I
    should not have been so quick to repeat it.

    --
    "Very good. Very deep. Right now I need aphorisms like I need holes in my heads."

    Max Quordlepleen, Sep 21, 2003
  6. Max Quordlepleen

    Plato Guest

    Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
    > posted as
    > an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has

    MS is actually quite conservative and reserved when it comes to
    moderating it's NGs.

    ie prohibiting posters, sending letters to posters isps, content, etc.

    ie they dont have the "heavy hand" you'd expect.

    Plato, Sep 21, 2003
  7. Max Quordlepleen

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:40:48 GMT, Ron Martell wrote:

    >Max Quordlepleen <> wrote:
    >
    >>Snagged from another NG:
    >>
    >>Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
    >>posted as
    >>an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has
    >>been
    >>circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.

    >I have yet to see any such item attached to any posting in any of the
    >30+ microsoft.public newsgroups that I subscribe to.

    I can see 40 now, on my ISPs binary post server. Some are duplicates due
    to x-posting. Very few in XP groups, most NT,2000 and scripting.

    From: "TUBADOGS" <ooxttmibeohes<snip>
    Subject: Try on these corrective package
    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.xbox.nflfever2002,microsoft.public.xbox.projectgothamracing,microsoft.public.xbox.rallisport,microsoft.public.xml,microsoft.public.xml.msxml-webrelease,microsoft.public.xml.soap,microsoft.public.xml.soapsdk,microsoft.public.xml.xmlsqlwebrelease
    Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:10:21 -0700
    68.68.113.39

    From: "engine<snip>
    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.management.mmc,microsoft.public.proxy,microsoft.public.ageofempires,microsoft.public.certification,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.jp.activex,microsoft.public.jp.win2000,microsoft.public.msmq.programming,microsoft.public.xml
    Date: 20 Sep 2003 06:07:41 GMT

    From: "John Haines" <maitx<snip>
    Subject: Prove the internet package from MS Corp.
    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.xbox.halo,microsoft.public.xbox.kungfuchaos,microsoft.public.xbox.munchsoddysee,microsoft.public.xbox.nbainsidedrive,microsoft.public.xbox.nflfever2002,microsoft.public.xbox.projectgothamracing,microsoft.public.xml,microsoft.public.xml.xmlsqlwebrelease
    Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:50:58 -0700

    Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:27:11 GMT

    FROM: "test" <eaupuu-prla<snip>
    NEWSGROUPS:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.conversions
    SUBJECT: FWD: See the internet pack that comes from Microsoft
    Date: 20 Sep 2003 16:13:25 -0400

    why?, Sep 21, 2003
  8. Max Quordlepleen

    Ron Martell Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >I can see 40 now, on my ISPs binary post server. Some are duplicates due
    >to x-posting. Very few in XP groups, most NT,2000 and scripting.

    Okay.

    Windows NT and Windows 2000 are versions of Windows that I do not
    support so I do not follow any of those newsgroups. Likewise
    scripting.

    Thanks for the specifics.

    Ron Martell, Sep 22, 2003
  9. Max Quordlepleen

    L Mehl Guest

    Oh.

    I thought it was Earthlink. THey are certainly doing nothing to stop it
    from getting into their customer's in-boxes.

    "Max Quordlepleen" <> wrote in message
    > Snagged from another NG:
    >
    > Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
    > posted as
    > an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has
    > been
    > circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.
    >
    > --
    > Though this be method, yet there is madness in 't
    >
    > http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

    ---

    L Mehl, Sep 27, 2003