    --
    Woody

    harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
    harrogate3, Mar 4, 2007

  2. harrogate3

    Roger Guest

    "harrogate3" <> wrote in message
    news:ZRAGh.11001$...
    > Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
    > 'normal' phone?
    >
    > I wish to use voip.co.uk but all of the adapters that I can find - and
    > that I think includes their own - are locked to the one system and
    > usually sell at rip-off prices. I would like to get an unlocked unit
    > such that if I change provider it is not a problem.
    >

    > --
    > Woody
    >
    > harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

    I've bought sipuras/linksys in the past from broadbandbuyer.co.uk or ebay.
    Roger, Mar 4, 2007

  3. In article <ZRAGh.11001$>,
    harrogate3 <> wrote:
    >Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
    >'normal' phone?
    >
    >I wish to use voip.co.uk but all of the adapters that I can find - and
    >that I think includes their own - are locked to the one system and
    >usually sell at rip-off prices. I would like to get an unlocked unit
    >such that if I change provider it is not a problem.

    Assuming you have an IP address of a remote SIP server, username/number
    and password, then there are literally dozens of ATAs (and phones)
    you can use. I don't think you looked too hard ;-)

    Also, I don't know what you consider rip-off prices though. Expect to
    pay from £35 upwards though. Eg have a look at:

    http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Analogue VoIP Adaptors

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 4, 2007
  4. harrogate3

    harrogate3 Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ZRAGh.11001$>,
    > harrogate3 <> wrote:
    > >Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
    > >'normal' phone?
    > >
    > >I wish to use voip.co.uk but all of the adapters that I can find -

    and
    > >that I think includes their own - are locked to the one system and
    > >usually sell at rip-off prices. I would like to get an unlocked

    unit
    > >such that if I change provider it is not a problem.

    > Assuming you have an IP address of a remote SIP server,

    username/number
    > and password, then there are literally dozens of ATAs (and phones)
    > you can use. I don't think you looked too hard ;-)
    >
    > Also, I don't know what you consider rip-off prices though. Expect

    > pay from £35 upwards though. Eg have a look at:
    >
    > http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Analogue VoIP Adaptors
    >
    > Gordon

    Actually I did look quite hard and indeed found that page, but the
    operational descriptions are not always obvious - particularly they
    don't say if the unit is unlocked as the text on some of them (the
    grandstream 486 for example) implies that they are locked.

    I think I have decided on the Grandstream 286. It will do what I want
    and the instruction booklet (found elsewhere) seems straightforward
    enough.

    Thanks anyway.

    harrogate3, Mar 4, 2007
  5. In article <37DGh.13333$>,
    harrogate3 <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <ZRAGh.11001$>,
    >> harrogate3 <> wrote:
    >> >Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
    >> >'normal' phone?
    >> >
    >> >I wish to use voip.co.uk but all of the adapters that I can find -

    >and
    >> >that I think includes their own - are locked to the one system and
    >> >usually sell at rip-off prices. I would like to get an unlocked

    >unit
    >> >such that if I change provider it is not a problem.

    >> Assuming you have an IP address of a remote SIP server,

    >username/number
    >> and password, then there are literally dozens of ATAs (and phones)
    >> you can use. I don't think you looked too hard ;-)
    >>
    >> Also, I don't know what you consider rip-off prices though. Expect

    >> pay from £35 upwards though. Eg have a look at:
    >>
    >> http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Analogue VoIP Adaptors
    >>
    >> Gordon
    >>

    >Actually I did look quite hard and indeed found that page, but the
    >operational descriptions are not always obvious - particularly they
    >don't say if the unit is unlocked as the text on some of them (the
    >grandstream 486 for example) implies that they are locked.

    http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Grandstream Handytone ATA-486

    Can you point out where on that page it implies it's locked? I've bought 4
    of these off that site recently, and the slightest hint of the possibility
    they they might be locked to anything didn't even cross my mind.. (and
    they weren't)

    >I think I have decided on the Grandstream 286. It will do what I want
    >and the instruction booklet (found elsewhere) seems straightforward
    >enough.

    Don't forget the RJ11 adapter - it'll give you a socket that'll let you
    plug your ordinary BT phone into.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 4, 2007
  6. harrogate3

    Tim Guest

    harrogate3 wrote:
    > Anyone have experience of unlocked VOIP adapters for use with a
    > 'normal' phone?

    For a can't go wrong plain ATA, buy a linksys PAP2T.

    http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=42

    [and many many other suppliers]

    Beware of ones on ebay, because there are an awful lot of ex vonage ones
    around.

    If you just want a SIP phone to use, then the Siemens C460IP Dect phone
    gives you a nice phone at reasonable price.

    If you want to mess, learn, use lots of providers, see how things work
    then buy a Snom phone.

    Tim
    Tim, Mar 4, 2007