    appreciate any response

    thanks,
    Andrew.

    newToUnix, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Alexander Rogge, Jan 8, 2004

  3. newToUnix

    why? Guest

    On 7 Jan 2004 20:34:40 -0800, newToUnix wrote:

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    >is anyone available to help out with gtk+ 2.0 installation problem?
    >appreciate any response

    The problem is? The OS would be?

    There are also plenty of Linux/Unix groups.

    Me

    why?, Jan 8, 2004
  4. newToUnix

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:34:40 -0800, newToUnix babbled incoherently:

    > is anyone available to help out with gtk+ 2.0 installation problem?
    > appreciate any response
    >
    > thanks,
    > Andrew.

    Hint: this reply was written on a Winders box(a hideous experience I know)
    using Pan, a Gnome newsreader . To get Pan to work I has to install
    Gtk2.2.0. So what's the problem? Perhaps you could let everyone in on a
    big secret and tell us what *Unix* is your Operating System, hmmmm.

    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    A child of five would understand this.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 8, 2004
  5. newToUnix wrote:
    > is anyone available to help out with gtk+ 2.0 installation problem?
    > appreciate any response

    Linux or Windows ?

    With Windows you just run the setup program.
    With Linux do whatever suits your distro. RPMs, source code, whatever. RTFM.

    michael turner, Jan 8, 2004
  6. newToUnix

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:00:45 GMT, B.Al.Zeebub wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:34:40 -0800, newToUnix babbled incoherently:
    >
    >> is anyone available to help out with gtk+ 2.0 installation problem?
    >> appreciate any response
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> Andrew.

    >Hint: this reply was written on a Winders box(a hideous experience I know)
    >using Pan, a Gnome newsreader . To get Pan to work I has to install
    >Gtk2.2.0. So what's the problem? Perhaps you could let everyone in on a
    >big secret and tell us what *Unix* is your Operating System, hmmmm.

    Same applied to ethereal 0.8.x version for Win, required GTK.
    Might be interesting of OP clears things up a bit.

    Me

    why?, Jan 8, 2004
  7. newToUnix

    newToUnix Guest

    Questions:
    OS: RedHat9
    1. On the ftp- server where I got the files for gtk+-2.0.0, besides
    the main "gtk+-2.0.0.tar.gz" file that is being mentioned in the
    Installation guide there are many other files for gtk+ (2.0.1 and
    etc...)same for glib, pango and atk. What are they for and do I need
    to download them as well? If yes, then which ones?
    2. Do I need to extract the "gtk+-2.0.0.tar.gz" file into any
    particular folder on the system or it does not really matter?
    3. After extracting to the folder I created in my home directory, I
    went to run the ./configure which gave the following errors:
    checking for working aclocal... missing
    checking for working autoconf... missing
    checking for working automake... missing
    checking for working autoheader... missing
    checking for working makeinfo... missing
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl... no
    configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
    4. I understand that previous problems might be caused by certain
    variables not set-up. It is also mentioned in the Installation Guide
    prior to running the ./configure I might need to set up flags
    CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/gtk/include" --
    LDFLAGS="-L/opt/gtk/lib"
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/gtk/lib/pkgconfig"
    export CPPFLAGS LDFLAGS PKG_CONFIG_PATH
    But my gtk+ extracted folder does not have any of the listed folders:
    include, lib. So where do I find these folders??
    5. Am I supposed to write:
    LDFLAGS="-L/opt/gtk/lib" ' this gave me an error of command "LDFLAGS"
    not found
    or
    SET LDFLAGS="-L/opt/gtk/lib"
    6. now, I am aware that I have to extract atk, pango and glib files as
    well. Which versions of them, I am assuming only 2.0.0 versions of
    them, correct? What folder they must be extracted to?

    7.I also noticed that on my system RedHat9 in the folder "/etc" I
    already have such folders as "gtk", "gtk-2.0" etc..
    What are they for?
    thank you, Andrew

    newToUnix, Jan 9, 2004
  8. newToUnix

    Boomer Guest

    (newToUnix) wrote in

    > Questions:
    > OS: RedHat9

    I see 36 'Redhat' groups plus the Google archive. Nothing there?

    Boomer, Jan 9, 2004
  9. newToUnix

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:00:02 +0000, Be.Al.Zeebub read and pondered:

    > On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:00:45 GMT, B.Al.Zeebub wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:34:40 -0800, newToUnix babbled incoherently:
    >>
    >>> is anyone available to help out with gtk+ 2.0 installation problem?
    >>> appreciate any response
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>> Andrew.

    >>Hint: this reply was written on a Winders box(a hideous experience I know)
    >>using Pan, a Gnome newsreader . To get Pan to work I has to install
    >>Gtk2.2.0. So what's the problem? Perhaps you could let everyone in on a
    >>big secret and tell us what *Unix* is your Operating System, hmmmm.

    > Same applied to ethereal 0.8.x version for Win, required GTK.
    > Might be interesting of OP clears things up a bit.
    >
    > Me

    Not in a hurry. OP was posting from Google. Methinks OP didn't "know his
    arse from his elbow" to use a colourful Aussie colloquialism.

    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    Registered Linux User #339345

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 9, 2004