    Can anyone help. The local connection between the router and nokia 30
    seems fine because I get an OK response when issueiing basic AT
    commands.
    erike, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Phillip Remaker, Dec 31, 2003

  3. erike

    Guest Guest

    > I don't have a proper
    > initialization string for the Nokia 30 and suspect this is the
    > problem. The modem works fine when I use it to dial out from my PC
    > using the 9.6 data service. I am using hyperterminal on the PC side
    > with my built in 56K modem.

    1- don't set an init string on the router, just configure the aux port as
    you would for a normal serial console connection.
    2- Configure the modem from a terminal emulator direct to the com port. Set
    it for 8-1-none and to ignore CD on it's serial interface. Also configure
    the modem for a max connect speed of 9600 (this may not apply in you case),
    then enter &W This will save it as the modem's default configuration. You
    should be able to find the settings or try the Hayes compatible commands.
    3- Set the modem you're dialing from to 9600 as well.

    The reasons;
    As you've seen, if you make the modems operation dependant on the router you
    can have connection problem. By setting the aux port and the modem's serial
    port to exactly the same settings you reduce or eliminate the possibility of
    a problem there. Also by disabling CD on the modems serial port, the modem
    won't hang up when the router is rebooted.

    By limiting all the possible connection points to 9600 you're more likely to
    get a stable connection and won't encounter the problems that commonly occur
    when a modem has to act as a buffer because of 2 different connection speed.
    Guest, Dec 31, 2003