    won't get sued at some point if they are
    using the GSM codecs in their products?
    , Feb 23, 2005

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a consortium for IP licensing
    > for use of GSMEFR,FR, AMR in telecom equipment?
    >
    > If not how does a company go about insuring it
    > won't get sued at some point if they are
    > using the GSM codecs in their products?

    You can ALWAYS be sued: at most, you can reasonably hope to win the
    lawsuit. Why don't you forget about GSM and use Speex (www.speex.org)
    instead?

    Enzo
    Enzo Michelangeli, Feb 24, 2005

  3. "Enzo Michelangeli" <-ip.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Is there a consortium for IP licensing
    >> for use of GSMEFR,FR, AMR in telecom equipment?
    >>
    >> If not how does a company go about insuring it
    >> won't get sued at some point if they are
    >> using the GSM codecs in their products?

    > You can ALWAYS be sued: at most, you can reasonably hope to win the
    > lawsuit. Why don't you forget about GSM and use Speex (www.speex.org)
    > instead?

    Probably because there a few vendors in the market which support
    GSM but not many commercial ones who do so with Speex...

    Apart from that, GSM is computationally not nearly as straining
    as Speex is.

    Tobias

    PS.: And even using Speex you are not safe that someone might sue you
    because they think you infringe on their IPs...
    Tobias Erichsen, Mar 1, 2005
  4. Guest

    Thanks, but use of the GSM codecs is manditory in our
    application. Anyone know if there's a licensing consortium
    or where I can find IP licensing info?
    (Note we have the software implementations).
    E.g. for G.723.1A you can go to sipro.com
    , Mar 3, 2005