    transferred the operating system, but it still boots up to "grub>"

    Thanks, and best regards,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, May 18, 2004

  2. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > I had Linux and Windows 98 installed on my Thinkpad for a while as a
    > dual boot system. I decided to get rid of Linux because I couldn't get
    > the sound drivers to work, and I have Linux running on another old
    > computer anyway.
    >
    > I used Partition Magic floppies to delete all the non-DOS partitions,
    > and to resize the remaining DOS partition to use the whole disk
    > (~18 GB.) All that was supposedly successful, but when I reboot, the
    > grub boot loader comes up with a command line. I have no idea what
    > commands enter to boot the DOS partition.
    >
    > If I boot from a Windows 98 rescue disk, I can see everything on my C:
    > drive. I used FDISK to make the partition active, but that doesn't seem
    > to stick when I reboot. I used the SYS command and it said it
    > transferred the operating system, but it still boots up to "grub>"
    >
    > Thanks, and best regards,
    > Bob

    I found some information on the web, but it's not very helpful. I enter
    the following commands:

    grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    grub> makeactive
    grub> chainloader +1
    Error 22: No such partition

    grub>

    Looks like I might be screwed.

    There is a file on my C: drive called "sysboot.sec" that is 512 bytes.
    I can see it when I boot from the Win 98 boot floppy. That 512 looks
    very interesting. The win98 floppy has debug on it. Is there a way to
    write that 512 byte file to the master boot record using debug?

    Bob
    zxcvbob, May 18, 2004

  3. zxcvbob

    philo Guest

    "zxcvbob" <> wrote in message
    > I had Linux and Windows 98 installed on my Thinkpad for a while as a
    > dual boot system. I decided to get rid of Linux because I couldn't get
    > the sound drivers to work, and I have Linux running on another old
    > computer anyway.
    >
    > I used Partition Magic floppies to delete all the non-DOS partitions,
    > and to resize the remaining DOS partition to use the whole disk
    > (~18 GB.) All that was supposedly successful, but when I reboot, the
    > grub boot loader comes up with a command line. I have no idea what
    > commands enter to boot the DOS partition.
    >
    > If I boot from a Windows 98 rescue disk, I can see everything on my C:
    > drive. I used FDISK to make the partition active, but that doesn't seem
    > to stick when I reboot. I used the SYS command and it said it
    > transferred the operating system, but it still boots up to "grub>"
    >
    > Thanks, and best regards,
    > Bob

    if you bootup with your win98 floppy
    you can issue the command fdisk /mbr

    that should re-write your mbr and get rid of grub
    philo, May 19, 2004
  4. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    philo wrote:

    > "zxcvbob" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I had Linux and Windows 98 installed on my Thinkpad for a while as a
    >>dual boot system. I decided to get rid of Linux because I couldn't get
    >>the sound drivers to work, and I have Linux running on another old
    >>computer anyway.
    >>
    >>I used Partition Magic floppies to delete all the non-DOS partitions,
    >>and to resize the remaining DOS partition to use the whole disk
    >>(~18 GB.) All that was supposedly successful, but when I reboot, the
    >>grub boot loader comes up with a command line. I have no idea what
    >>commands enter to boot the DOS partition.
    >>
    >>If I boot from a Windows 98 rescue disk, I can see everything on my C:
    >>drive. I used FDISK to make the partition active, but that doesn't seem
    >>to stick when I reboot. I used the SYS command and it said it
    >>transferred the operating system, but it still boots up to "grub>"
    >>
    >>Thanks, and best regards,
    >>Bob

    > if you bootup with your win98 floppy
    > you can issue the command fdisk /mbr
    >
    > that should re-write your mbr and get rid of grub

    Thank you. I *just* found that same info on the web and tried it and it
    worked. (actually, I had to run FDISK one more time after getting a
    "failed to load operating system" error to make the partition active
    again because grub kept deactivating it.

    I was coming back here to report what happened and saw your message.

    Thanks again. I don't know why the fdisk /mbr switch isn't documented,
    cuz it sure would be useful if you're trying to recover from a
    bootrecord virus.

    Best regards, :)
    Bob
    zxcvbob, May 19, 2004
  5. zxcvbob

    philo Guest

    > Thank you. I *just* found that same info on the web and tried it and it
    > worked. (actually, I had to run FDISK one more time after getting a
    > "failed to load operating system" error to make the partition active
    > again because grub kept deactivating it.
    >
    > I was coming back here to report what happened and saw your message.
    >
    > Thanks again. I don't know why the fdisk /mbr switch isn't documented,
    > cuz it sure would be useful if you're trying to recover from a
    > bootrecord virus.
    >
    > Best regards, :)
    > Bob

    glad you got it going

    though fdisk /mbr may be undocumented...
    the "secret" is now pretty well out <g>
    philo, May 19, 2004