    How do I manually install Grub or LiLo?

    TIA
    Mike

    Mike, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Mike

    why? Guest

    5 group x-post
    24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.os.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux.slackware,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
    trimmed to
    24hoursupport.helpdesk
    no followups set.

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:21:46 -0500, Mike wrote:

    >I installed WinXP, Slackware, and Fedora Core. I installed Fedora last

    It may help to say if you installed grub to the MBR or setup a /boot or
    even multiple /boot for Slackware and Fedora.

    Did you pick the option to create a boot floppy? If so use that then (as
    you asked below) login and try installing grub.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=grub multi boot config

    It's assumed,
    WinXP started okay before Slackware.
    WinXP/Slackware was okay before Fedora

    Could it only have not booted after Fedora.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=grub stops at grub prompt

    >The computer stops there. alt+ctrl+del doesn't work, I have to turn it off.
    >I'm using a Promise TX2000 raid adapter in a Raid3,0 array (3 drives) Linux

    A bit unusual RAID 3 isn't it?

    Is that what you are trying to boot from?

    Sometimes it's easier to boot from a plain ordinary IDE master then once
    the kernel is loaded with the RAID drivers, the array will be visible.

    >detected the drives as hde, hdf, and hdg. Windows is on hde, Fedora on hdf
    >and Slackware on hdg.
    >
    >How do I manually install Grub or LiLo?

    grub-install usually, but that's once logged in
    http://www.google.com/search?q=grub manual install

    Me

    why?, Oct 25, 2004

  3. On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:21:46 -0500, Mike wrote:

    > The computer stops there. alt+ctrl+del doesn't work, I have to turn it
    > off. I'm using a Promise TX2000 raid adapter in a Raid3,0 array (3 drives)
    > Linux detected the drives as hde, hdf, and hdg. Windows is on hde, Fedora
    > on hdf and Slackware on hdg.

    Known problem with FC2 distribution. Should be fixed with FC3 due in
    a couple of weeks. In the meanwhiles, google.com is your friend.
    Search for "re-install grub" and visit the SECOND RESPONSE:

    http://www.desktop-linux.net/grub.htm

    HTH.

    Tommy Reynolds, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Mike

    m.marien Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >I installed WinXP, Slackware, and Fedora Core. I installed Fedora last
    > hoping that grub would install and detect everything. The grub.conf file
    > appears to have everything in it, but I have a bigger problem. When the
    > computer starts up and the bios finishes the last thing that displays is:
    >
    > GRUB
    >
    > The computer stops there. alt+ctrl+del doesn't work, I have to turn it
    > off.
    > I'm using a Promise TX2000 raid adapter in a Raid3,0 array (3 drives)
    > Linux
    > detected the drives as hde, hdf, and hdg. Windows is on hde, Fedora on hdf
    > and Slackware on hdg.
    >
    > How do I manually install Grub or LiLo?
    >
    > TIA
    > Mike

    There are a couple of ways to reinstall GRUB. One is with the
    /sbin/grub-install script. Just specify which device is your boot device
    or --help for options. The other is manually. Type /sbin/grub at the command
    line to enter the grub command line. Specify the root directory partition
    and then use setup to install the files:

    [root]#grub
    grub> root (hd1,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit

    This specifies that the first partition on drive 2 (/dev/hdf1 in your case)
    is where the root is. And then installs grub to the MBR of the first drive
    (/dev/hde). Grub starts counting the drives from zero.

    If you installed GRUB to the Fedora partition, then setup (hd1,0) would be
    the command to use.

    The problem may also be the RAID is confusing GRUB.

    m.marien, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada DOT com> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > >I installed WinXP, Slackware, and Fedora Core. I installed Fedora last
    > > hoping that grub would install and detect everything. The grub.conf file
    > > appears to have everything in it, but I have a bigger problem. When the
    > > computer starts up and the bios finishes the last thing that displays

    is:

    > > GRUB
    > >
    > > The computer stops there. alt+ctrl+del doesn't work, I have to turn it
    > > off.
    > > I'm using a Promise TX2000 raid adapter in a Raid3,0 array (3 drives)
    > > Linux
    > > detected the drives as hde, hdf, and hdg. Windows is on hde, Fedora on

    hdf
    > > and Slackware on hdg.
    > >
    > > How do I manually install Grub or LiLo?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Mike
    > >

    > There are a couple of ways to reinstall GRUB. One is with the
    > /sbin/grub-install script. Just specify which device is your boot device
    > or --help for options. The other is manually. Type /sbin/grub at the

    command
    > line to enter the grub command line. Specify the root directory partition
    > and then use setup to install the files:
    >
    > [root]#grub
    > grub> root (hd1,0)
    > grub> setup (hd0)
    > grub> quit
    >
    > This specifies that the first partition on drive 2 (/dev/hdf1 in your

    case)
    > is where the root is. And then installs grub to the MBR of the first drive
    > (/dev/hde). Grub starts counting the drives from zero.
    >
    > If you installed GRUB to the Fedora partition, then setup (hd1,0) would be
    > the command to use.
    >
    > The problem may also be the RAID is confusing GRUB.

    If the RAID is confusing GRUB, then WHAT?

    Mike, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Mike

    m.marien Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > "m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada DOT com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> >I installed WinXP, Slackware, and Fedora Core. I installed Fedora last
    >> > hoping that grub would install and detect everything. The grub.conf
    >> > file
    >> > appears to have everything in it, but I have a bigger problem. When the
    >> > computer starts up and the bios finishes the last thing that displays

    > is:
    >> >
    >> > GRUB
    >> >
    >> > The computer stops there. alt+ctrl+del doesn't work, I have to turn it
    >> > off.
    >> > I'm using a Promise TX2000 raid adapter in a Raid3,0 array (3 drives)
    >> > Linux
    >> > detected the drives as hde, hdf, and hdg. Windows is on hde, Fedora on

    > hdf
    >> > and Slackware on hdg.
    >> >
    >> > How do I manually install Grub or LiLo?
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> > Mike
    >> >

    >> There are a couple of ways to reinstall GRUB. One is with the
    >> /sbin/grub-install script. Just specify which device is your boot device
    >> or --help for options. The other is manually. Type /sbin/grub at the

    > command
    >> line to enter the grub command line. Specify the root directory partition
    >> and then use setup to install the files:
    >>
    >> [root]#grub
    >> grub> root (hd1,0)
    >> grub> setup (hd0)
    >> grub> quit
    >>
    >> This specifies that the first partition on drive 2 (/dev/hdf1 in your

    > case)
    >> is where the root is. And then installs grub to the MBR of the first
    >> drive
    >> (/dev/hde). Grub starts counting the drives from zero.
    >>
    >> If you installed GRUB to the Fedora partition, then setup (hd1,0) would
    >> be
    >> the command to use.
    >>
    >> The problem may also be the RAID is confusing GRUB.
    >>

    > If the RAID is confusing GRUB, then WHAT?

    Then you probably can't use it for booting your system without some
    tweaking. That's maybe why it didn't install properly. You're at the point
    of installing so losing the installs shouldn't be a big problem.

    m.marien, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Mike

    Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:21:46 -0500, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >I installed WinXP, Slackware, and Fedora Core. I installed Fedora last
    >hoping that grub would install and detect everything. The grub.conf file
    >appears to have everything in it, but I have a bigger problem. When the
    >computer starts up and the bios finishes the last thing that displays is:

    It sounds that you have more than the usual FC2 - XP clash.
    However it would be worth checking out the problem of how when
    installing GRUB on the MBR FC" writes a cylinder head sector
    setup that Window can't handle.

    If this was your only problem then everything would work but
    XP. However it might be contributing to your problem and the
    workaround - giving the right CHS value at the beginning
    of the installation is very simple

    eg: linux hda=14593,255,63

    This is clearly not your most important problem
    but it may be contributing to it.

    David

    daividb2000 at yahoo.com

    English Spelling Reform:
    http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/spell/

    , Oct 26, 2004
  8. Mike

    Matt Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > I installed WinXP, Slackware, and Fedora Core.

    My uninformed guess is that Fedora was confused by the use of RAID and
    wrote grub.conf incorrectly.

    1) Were you able to boot Slackware before installing Fedora?

    2) GRUB has a pretty good manual that is only something like eight pages
    long. Get familiar that and make a stand-alone generic GRUB boot floppy
    or CD (maybe you have to dd or rawrite a floppy or CD image?). Boot
    that and get to know the interactive GURB system. It has facilities for
    listing the contents of disk partitions. You should be able to boot XP
    easily from the GRUB prompt. See that you understand GRUB's
    nomenclature for referring to drives and partitions and files. Then see
    that the contents of grub.conf is consistent with that.

    Matt, Oct 27, 2004
  9. Mike

    Matt Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> I installed WinXP, Slackware, and Fedora Core.

    > My uninformed guess is that Fedora was confused by the use of RAID and
    > wrote grub.conf incorrectly.

    Or it wrote the MBR incorrectly.

    Matt, Oct 27, 2004
  10. Mike

    Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:03:51 -0500, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >"m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada DOT com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> >I installed WinXP, Slackware, and Fedora Core. I installed Fedora last
    >> > hoping that grub would install and detect everything. The grub.conf file
    >> > appears to have everything in it, but I have a bigger problem. When the
    >> > computer starts up and the bios finishes the last thing that displays

    >is:
    >> >
    >> > GRUB
    >> >
    >> > The computer stops there. alt+ctrl+del doesn't work, I have to turn it
    >> > off.
    >> > I'm using a Promise TX2000 raid adapter in a Raid3,0 array (3 drives)
    >> > Linux
    >> > detected the drives as hde, hdf, and hdg. Windows is on hde, Fedora on

    >hdf
    >> > and Slackware on hdg.
    >> >
    >> > How do I manually install Grub or LiLo?
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> > Mike
    >> >

    >> There are a couple of ways to reinstall GRUB. One is with the
    >> /sbin/grub-install script. Just specify which device is your boot device
    >> or --help for options. The other is manually. Type /sbin/grub at the

    >command
    >> line to enter the grub command line. Specify the root directory partition
    >> and then use setup to install the files:
    >>
    >> [root]#grub
    >> grub> root (hd1,0)
    >> grub> setup (hd0)
    >> grub> quit
    >>
    >> This specifies that the first partition on drive 2 (/dev/hdf1 in your

    >case)
    >> is where the root is. And then installs grub to the MBR of the first drive
    >> (/dev/hde). Grub starts counting the drives from zero.
    >>
    >> If you installed GRUB to the Fedora partition, then setup (hd1,0) would be
    >> the command to use.
    >>
    >> The problem may also be the RAID is confusing GRUB.
    >>

    >If the RAID is confusing GRUB, then WHAT?

    I'm as confused as GRUB is. (no offense), I'm not familiar with a RAID
    3 set up as I only use RAID 0(for my movie crunching, RAID 0 gives the
    speed but not so much security, but that's not important to me for
    this use) but from your explanation above it sounds like you used one
    drive for each operating system?

    or is this what you see reported when the kernel is booting?

    do you really have a RAID 3 partition ? if so

    do you have *any* hard drives in the built in IDE controller
    channels > hda hdb hdc hdd ?

    did you install to any of these?

    usually in a one drive one cd burner configuration you will have a the
    multi-boot OS in HDA(master on first channel) and the burner will be
    HDC (master on second channel)

    then you add during the install a driver for your raid card or you
    compile it after you boot into your system

    in my home movie box winxp/gentoo/fedora 3 ALL reside in
    hda1/hda3/hda5 respectively (hda1 is primary ntfs, hda 2 is swap hda3
    is ext3 primary for Gentoo, hda5 is ext3 *extended* and hda6 is swap
    for Fedora)

    when you see that GRUB> command do a FIND /boot (read the fine
    manual on this) it will show you where those 2 Linux distro's are at

    you can manually boot up by hand typing the same commands found in
    grub.conf or menu.lst found in the /boot directory of Fedora since
    that's the last one you installed and I'm assuming you let it install
    grub.

    don't forget to subtract 1 from whatever hda# you saw when you
    partitioned using fdisk or disk druid for GRUB or you will get a error
    message cause it's being pointed to the wrong partition.

    , Oct 31, 2004
  11. I don't know if it helps but I run an Adaptec 3210S RAID card with SCSI
    drives. Grub never worked on any of the systems that had this setup. I
    got the same symptoms you did. I really never found a solution and since
    LILO worked I used it. I think Grub just couldn't handle the RAID.

    Brett I. Holcomb, Nov 1, 2004
  12. Mike

    Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:44:45 -0500, "Brett I. Holcomb"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't know if it helps but I run an Adaptec 3210S RAID card with SCSI
    >drives. Grub never worked on any of the systems that had this setup. I
    >got the same symptoms you did. I really never found a solution and since
    >LILO worked I used it. I think Grub just couldn't handle the RAID.

    I agree that LILO is far older and more capable. I was compiling a
    kernel the other day and I *think* I saw several Adaptec controllers
    supported in there in 2.6.9, but did not pay attention to which models

    the only Adaptec card I have is a older 2490uw non raid and can't
    afford those beautiful 15000rpm baby's. but hope is spring eternal ;)

    >On Sun, 31 Oct 2004
    >wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:03:51 -0500, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada DOT com> wrote in message

    >>> If the RAID is confusing GRUB, then WHAT?
    >>>

    >> I'm as confused as GRUB is. (no offense), I'm not familiar with a RAID
    >> 3 set up as I only use RAID 0(for my movie crunching, RAID 0 gives the
    >> speed but not so much security, but that's not important to me for
    >> this use) but from your explanation above it sounds like you used one
    >> drive for each operating system?
    >>
    >> or is this what you see reported when the kernel is booting?
    >>
    >> do you really have a RAID 3 partition ? if so
    >>
    >> do you have *any* hard drives in the built in IDE controller
    >> channels > hda hdb hdc hdd ?
    >>
    >> did you install to any of these?
    >>
    >> usually in a one drive one cd burner configuration you will have a the
    >> multi-boot OS in HDA(master on first channel) and the burner will be
    >> HDC (master on second channel)
    >>
    >> then you add during the install a driver for your raid card or you
    >> compile it after you boot into your system
    >>
    >> in my home movie box winxp/gentoo/fedora 3 ALL reside in
    >> hda1/hda3/hda5 respectively (hda1 is primary ntfs, hda 2 is swap hda3
    >> is ext3 primary for Gentoo, hda5 is ext3 *extended* and hda6 is swap
    >> for Fedora)
    >>

    >> when you see that GRUB> command do a FIND /boot (read the fine
    >> manual on this) it will show you where those 2 Linux distro's are at
    >>
    >> you can manually boot up by hand typing the same commands found in
    >> grub.conf or menu.lst found in the /boot directory of Fedora since
    >> that's the last one you installed and I'm assuming you let it install
    >> grub.
    >>
    >> don't forget to subtract 1 from whatever hda# you saw when you
    >> partitioned using fdisk or disk druid for GRUB or you will get a error
    >> message cause it's being pointed to the wrong partition.

    , Nov 1, 2004
  13. Well, I have the older 10K RPM drives - so I'm not up to the latest <G>.
    The 2940 should be supported as are most all Adaptec controllers. Once I started using LILO I found I
    liked the ability to do a test first and it has the capability of doing a
    one-shot boot for a kernel.

    Brett I. Holcomb, Nov 1, 2004
  14. Mike

    m.marien Guest

    "Brett I. Holcomb" <> wrote in message
    > Well, I have the older 10K RPM drives - so I'm not up to the latest <G>.
    > The 2940 should be supported as are most all Adaptec controllers. Once I
    > started using LILO I found I
    > liked the ability to do a test first and it has the capability of doing a
    > one-shot boot for a kernel.

    One solution is to install a drive that is not part of the RAID and install
    the boot loader there. I did this for a while on my software RAID. I was
    using Promise ATA100 TX2 cards in a system that already had a HighPoint
    ATA66 BIOS. GRUB was confused about the order of the drives and I didn't
    want to destroy the RAID by installing the boot by guessing.

    The simple solution was to install a drive on the normal ATA channel and
    install /boot there. I just used an old (ancient) 426BMB drive. Booting was
    a bit slower because of the old drive, but I only had to boot a couple of
    times a year so it was no big deal.

    I finally fixed the problem by connecting the first drive to a normal ATA
    channel and installed the GRUB boot loader. When I reconnected the drive to
    the Promise card and removed the old boot drive it worked just fine.
    However, I don't think that is an option with a hardware RAID card as the
    system sees the single RAID array as one drive. With software RAID the
    drives are individual drives until assembled into the RAID at boot.

    m.marien, Nov 1, 2004