    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Evil Bastard

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:12:03 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > who the hell wrote the software for the Sky set-top decoder boxes?
    >
    > which programming course did s/he fail out of?
    >
    > why does sky, with its growing share prices, revenues and customer base,
    > neglect to hire a programmer with half a clue about writing realtime
    > embedded software?

    It could be argued that MS lead the charge. Makes money who cares how
    useless our product is. Works as people need to get active eh?
    Gordon, Jun 19, 2005

  3. Evil Bastard

    Mark C Guest

    Mark C, Jun 19, 2005
  4. "Evil Bastard" <> wrote in message

    > who the hell wrote the software for the Sky set-top decoder boxes?
    >
    > which programming course did s/he fail out of?
    >
    > why does sky, with its growing share prices, revenues and customer base,
    > neglect to hire a programmer with half a clue about writing realtime
    > embedded software?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > EB

    Wundrin if you're having the same issues as we are here. The box rebooted at
    least three times yesterday.
    ShuckItAnShee, Jun 19, 2005
  5. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    ShuckItAnShee wrote:
    >>who the hell wrote the software for the Sky set-top decoder boxes?

    > Wundrin if you're having the same issues as we are here. The box rebooted at
    > least three times yesterday.

    Yep.

    Multiple reboots per day (which makes it a gamble when programming a VCR
    to record a programme)

    Painfully slow response times

    Several other lesser annoyances

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Evil Bastard

    jedmeister Guest

    "ShuckItAnShee" <> wrote in message
    > "Evil Bastard" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> who the hell wrote the software for the Sky set-top decoder boxes?
    >>
    >> which programming course did s/he fail out of?
    >>
    >> why does sky, with its growing share prices, revenues and customer base,
    >> neglect to hire a programmer with half a clue about writing realtime
    >> embedded software?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers
    >> EB

    > Wundrin if you're having the same issues as we are here. The box rebooted
    > at
    > least three times yesterday.

    Mine crashes occasionally, and the audio / video gets out of synch too. Sky
    says just to switch on/off to fix the prob.
    jedmeister, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    >>who the hell wrote the software for the Sky set-top decoder
    >>boxes?

    > It's a modified version of OpenTV, IIRC.

    > http://www.opentv.com/
    > http://www.aardvark.co.nz/daily/2001/1217.shtml

    Anyone got the hardware specs on the decoder boxes?
    Any OS/API details?
    Any doco on the format of Sky feeds?

    Any (God forbid) SDKs available?

    Anyone tried compiling/installing an embedded Linux on the thing?

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Evil Bastard

    Richard Guest

    jedmeister wrote:

    >>Wundrin if you're having the same issues as we are here. The box rebooted
    >>at
    >>least three times yesterday.
    >>

    > Mine crashes occasionally, and the audio / video gets out of synch too. Sky
    > says just to switch on/off to fix the prob.

    Thats great when the thing takes over 2 and a half minuites to boot up eh.

    Mums one keep having the background behind the guide mess up and be replaced
    with a flickering pink and blue mess, and it still misses keypresses from the
    remote unless you wait between every button press - thankfully no sync issues
    and it rebooting is quite rare.

    What really pisses me off is how slow it is, and the interactive features are a
    joke, to get the weather its quicker to go into the next room, turn the computer
    screen on and go to the xtra webpage and click weather and walk back.
    Richard, Jun 20, 2005
  9. Wundrin now if folks getting SKY Digital content off cable get any similar
    experiences ......... probably not?

    ShuckItAnShee, Jun 20, 2005
  10. Evil Bastard

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <O8ote.8589$>,
    "ShuckItAnShee" <> wrote:
    >Wundrin now if folks getting SKY Digital content off cable get any similar
    >experiences ......... probably not?

    Saturn / TelstraClear cable appears to take the Sky digital feed from the
    satellite and run it through Sky decoders before putting it on the cable.
    I base this on the occasional onscreen messages I see if a Sky originated
    channel goes out - the messages are identical to those I've seen from
    domestic Sky decoders.

    There are persistent rumours TC will roll out digital cable in the next year
    or so - while it will allow them to add more channels (they are apparently
    maxed out on the current analogue channels) I'll bet they'll squeeze the
    bitrate budget just as hard as Sky does. Hopefully they'll be able to simply
    route the Sky digital stream directly onto the cable to remove the current
    double decoding.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286
    Don Hills, Jun 20, 2005
  11. Evil Bastard

    KeeWee Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:44:24 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >jedmeister wrote:
    >
    >>>Wundrin if you're having the same issues as we are here. The box rebooted
    >>>at
    >>>least three times yesterday.
    >>>

    >> Mine crashes occasionally, and the audio / video gets out of synch too. Sky
    >> says just to switch on/off to fix the prob.

    >Thats great when the thing takes over 2 and a half minuites to boot up eh.
    >
    >Mums one keep having the background behind the guide mess up and be replaced
    >with a flickering pink and blue mess, and it still misses keypresses from the
    >remote unless you wait between every button press - thankfully no sync issues
    >and it rebooting is quite rare.
    >
    >What really pisses me off is how slow it is, and the interactive features are a
    >joke, to get the weather its quicker to go into the next room, turn the computer
    >screen on and go to the xtra webpage and click weather and walk back.

    The who Sky Digital decoder issue is a joke - there's not a day that
    goes by when ours doesn't reboot itself.

    Also, if you like the Aussie news service on 54, change to 55 then
    channel down to 54. Changing directly to 54 causes the box to seems to
    freeze up, slow down any remote control actions but unfreezes after
    about a minute.

    Also ever tried recording an R18 movie that's on during daytime work
    hours (8am - 6pm)?
    You can program the guide to change the channel, but you still need to
    enter your PIN! Apparently a Broadcasting Standards Authority thing
    that R18 can't be shown during these times.

    AAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhh!
    KeeWee, Jun 21, 2005
  12. Evil Bastard

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <42b6028d$>, Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Mark C wrote:
    >>>who the hell wrote the software for the Sky set-top decoder
    >>>boxes?

    >> It's a modified version of OpenTV, IIRC.

    >> http://www.opentv.com/
    >> http://www.aardvark.co.nz/daily/2001/1217.shtml

    > Anyone got the hardware specs on the decoder boxes?
    > Any OS/API details?
    > Any doco on the format of Sky feeds?
    >
    > Any (God forbid) SDKs available?
    >
    > Anyone tried compiling/installing an embedded Linux on the thing?

    IIRC the boxes mostly use a STmicro chip at about 70MIPS.
    2Mb Flash for OS/Middleware/CA-hooks/Resident app
    and 2Mn RAM.

    OS is (I think Vx-Works) and middleware is of course OpenTV

    Don't know if any of the linux STBs support NDS-CA and OpenTV

    But then again it is probably only essential to support NDS-CA
    Then with your card you could still watch all AV.
    But without OpenTV support you could not do interactive.

    Chris
    ChrisOD, Jun 22, 2005
  13. Evil Bastard

    Richard Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:

    > IIRC the boxes mostly use a STmicro chip at about 70MIPS.
    > 2Mb Flash for OS/Middleware/CA-hooks/Resident app
    > and 2Mn RAM.
    >
    > OS is (I think Vx-Works) and middleware is of course OpenTV
    >
    > Don't know if any of the linux STBs support NDS-CA and OpenTV
    >
    > But then again it is probably only essential to support NDS-CA
    > Then with your card you could still watch all AV.
    > But without OpenTV support you could not do interactive.

    When I am a bit wealthier I will get a PCI DVB-S card with a CA slot and the CAM
    that does NDS and see what it does, might be a usefull way to get a passable
    quality mpeg2 pvr
    Richard, Jun 22, 2005
  14. Evil Bastard

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <42b90312$>, Richard wrote:
    > ChrisOD wrote:
    >
    >> IIRC the boxes mostly use a STmicro chip at about 70MIPS.
    >> 2Mb Flash for OS/Middleware/CA-hooks/Resident app
    >> and 2Mn RAM.
    >>
    >> OS is (I think Vx-Works) and middleware is of course OpenTV
    >>
    >> Don't know if any of the linux STBs support NDS-CA and OpenTV
    >>
    >> But then again it is probably only essential to support NDS-CA
    >> Then with your card you could still watch all AV.
    >> But without OpenTV support you could not do interactive.

    > When I am a bit wealthier I will get a PCI DVB-S card with a CA slot and the CAM
    > that does NDS and see what it does, might be a usefull way to get a passable
    > quality mpeg2 pvr

    Yeah I've been reading a bit about the dragon CAM and some people seem to have
    mixed results in the UK. Don't know anyone playing with it here in NZ.

    I think it really matters what levels of CI are supported in the DVB-S card.

    Chris
    ChrisOD, Jun 22, 2005
  15. Evil Bastard

    Richard Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:

    > Yeah I've been reading a bit about the dragon CAM and some people seem to have
    > mixed results in the UK. Don't know anyone playing with it here in NZ.
    >
    > I think it really matters what levels of CI are supported in the DVB-S card.

    I think one edition of the sky UK pvr had a CA card in it, if true was prob
    modified to only work with that box however.
    Richard, Jun 22, 2005