Groups on news.eternal-september.org

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Henry, Jun 18, 2009.

  1. Henry

    Henry Guest

    I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
    RAM and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.

    I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
    time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
    had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
    "Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
    box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
    group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
    and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
    about an hour I had them all downloaded.

    If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
    groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?

    Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
    motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org. Have they not all been
    transfered yet? Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
    and rec.radio.(anything).

    Will more groups be added to the list and why did it take so long to
    download the group list?

    Thank you

    Henry

    Henry, Jun 18, 2009

  2. Henry

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:13:16 -0500, Henry <> wrote:

    >I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
    >RAM

    2 Megs ram? I hope you mean 2 gigs.

    >and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.

    Time to upgrade. Firefox is on 3.0 .

    >I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
    >time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
    >had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
    >"Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
    >box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
    >group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
    >and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
    >about an hour I had them all downloaded.

    What connection do you have? DSL? Cable?

    >If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
    >groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?

    Yes.

    >Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
    >motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org.

    That's somewhat typical. Not all servers carry all groups.

    >Have they not all been transfered yet?

    'transfered'? Huh?

    >Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
    >and rec.radio.(anything).

    Try going to the website for your provider and ask them to carry the
    groups you want.

    >Will more groups be added to the list

    Probably. News providers add groups all the time.

    >and why did it take so long to download the group list?

    I don't know.

    Did you maybe think this group is dedicated to your provider?

    Evan Platt, Jun 18, 2009

  3. Henry wrote:

    > Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
    > motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org. Have they not all been
    > transfered yet? Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
    > and rec.radio.(anything).

    Those groups are all present on the new server. I just looked.

    Re your slowness, I'd guess the server is quite busy today, now that
    changing over has become a popular pasttime. It was quite fast for me
    yesterday morning (about 36 hours ago).

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 18, 2009
  4. Henry

    Henry Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:13:16 -0500, Henry <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
    >>RAM

    > 2 Megs ram? I hope you mean 2 gigs.
    >

    >>and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.

    > Time to upgrade. Firefox is on 3.0 .
    >

    >>I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
    >>time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
    >>had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
    >>"Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
    >>box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
    >>group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
    >>and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
    >>about an hour I had them all downloaded.

    > What connection do you have? DSL? Cable?
    >

    >>If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
    >>groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?

    > Yes.
    >

    >>Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
    >>motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org.

    > That's somewhat typical. Not all servers carry all groups.
    >

    >>Have they not all been transfered yet?

    > 'transfered'? Huh?
    >

    >>Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
    >>and rec.radio.(anything).

    > Try going to the website for your provider and ask them to carry the
    > groups you want.
    >

    >>Will more groups be added to the list

    > Probably. News providers add groups all the time.
    >

    >>and why did it take so long to download the group list?

    > I don't know.
    >
    > Did you maybe think this group is dedicated to your provider?

    Yes, I meant 2 Gigs of RAM.

    I am on Comcast - cable

    Firefox is only a browser. I should go to Mozilla Seamonkey.

    The motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org announcement said they
    would be carrying the same groups.

    I thought this group was dedicated to Motzarella support.

    Henry, Jun 18, 2009
  5. Henry

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:37:30 -0500, Henry <> wrote:

    >I am on Comcast - cable

    Should be fine, so am I but I don't use eternal-september.

    >Firefox is only a browser. I should go to Mozilla Seamonkey.

    I'm quite aware of what Firefox is.

    You mentioned you're using Mozilla Suite 1.8. Mozilla Suite hasn't
    been supported in over a year, so chances are you're running an
    outdated version.

    >The motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org announcement said they
    >would be carrying the same groups.
    >
    >I thought this group was dedicated to Motzarella support.

    No, it's not.

    Evan Platt, Jun 18, 2009
  6. Henry

    Mike Easter Guest

    Henry wrote:

    > Yes, I meant 2 Gigs of RAM.

    You are illustrating a problem common to both (noncontextualized
    untrimmed) top posting or bottom posting. Your remarks lack any context.

    > I am on Comcast - cable

    Uh. Yeah.

    > Firefox is only a browser. I should go to Mozilla Seamonkey.

    A conversation in a vacuum.

    > The motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org announcement said they
    > would be carrying the same groups.

    If you aren't finding groups you were currently using on motz on e-s,
    there's something wrong with your groups.

    > I thought this group was dedicated to Motzarella support.

    This 24hshd group isn't dedicated, but it will support anything. The
    group motzarella.support will specifically support motz servers such as
    e-s.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 18, 2009
  7. Henry

    Unbeliever Guest

    Henry wrote:
    > I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
    > RAM and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.
    >
    > I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
    > time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
    > had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
    > "Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
    > box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
    > group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
    > and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
    > about an hour I had them all downloaded.
    >
    > If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
    > groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?
    >
    > Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
    > motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org. Have they not all been
    > transfered yet? Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
    > and rec.radio.(anything).
    >
    > Will more groups be added to the list and why did it take so long to
    > download the group list?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Henry

    Did you try following the instructions at the bottom of the e-mail that was
    sent to? This told you and set up a new account - then check "This server
    requires me to log on" and then download the groups - it took me all of
    around five minutes to set the account and download *al* of l the existing
    groups. It couldn't have been simpler!

    Unbeliever, Jun 18, 2009
  8. Henry

    Henry Guest

    Unbeliever wrote:
    > Henry wrote:
    >
    >>I'm using WinXP Pro SP2, on a Dell computer with 2.7GHz CPU and 2Meg
    >>RAM and the Mozilla Suite ver 1.8.1.11.
    >>
    >>I finally got set up on news.eternal-september.org. It took a long
    >>time. When I went to subscribe on news.eternal-september.org I only
    >>had the hierarchies motzarella.* and posenet.* I found I had to tick
    >>"Always request authentication when connecting to this server" check
    >>box. Then I went back to subscribe and did a refresh to download the
    >>group list. That took forever. It would download a thousand or so
    >>and then sit and wait many minutes before downloading some more. After
    >>about an hour I had them all downloaded.
    >>
    >>If I do a refresh, it starts at the beginning and downloads all of the
    >>groups instead of just adding the new groups. Is that normal?
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, not all of the newsgroups I subscribe to on
    >>motzarella.org are on eternal-september.org. Have they not all been
    >>transfered yet? Here are just two I can't get to: alt.os.windows-xp
    >>and rec.radio.(anything).
    >>
    >>Will more groups be added to the list and why did it take so long to
    >>download the group list?
    >>
    >>Thank you
    >>
    >>Henry

    > Did you try following the instructions at the bottom of the e-mail that was
    > sent to? This told you and set up a new account - then check "This server
    > requires me to log on" and then download the groups - it took me all of
    > around five minutes to set the account and download *al* of l the existing
    > groups. It couldn't have been simpler!

    I did exactly as you said to set up the server.

    My main problem has to do with downloading the group list. First it
    takes about an hour or so because it only downloads in fits and
    spurts. Second, it doesn't download all of the groups that were on
    news.motzarella.org.

    I'm on Comcast cable so the download should be fast.

    Henry, Jun 19, 2009
  9. Henry

    Mike Easter Guest

    Henry wrote:

    > I'm on Comcast cable so the download should be fast.

    Comcast does packet shaping. That means they are configured to
    effectively throttle stuff which comes in big gulps from newsservers as
    if the user were binary hogging. Perhaps the packet shaper is throttling
    your groups list acquisition.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 19, 2009