    How would be possible to apply an Administrative Template to a specific
    user?

    Thanks
    Syd, Jun 4, 2006

  2. Group policies are applied to containers....so, if you want a policy to apply
    to only one user you would need to have that user be the only one in a
    particular container...then you would create the GP in that container.

    Its really a question of how you design AD rather than where in the GP snap
    in you set a particular policy.

    So, if you want a GP to apply to Joe, you would use Active Directory Users
    and Computers to create a container...call it JoesContainer for
    simplicity...then move Joe's account to that container. Once that is done
    create a GPO for JoesContainer and you will have a policy that only applies
    to Joe.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    John Strohecker, MCSE

    John Strohecker, Jun 5, 2006

  3. Syd

    Syd Guest

    Thank you John.

    It is clear to me that you are considering the matter from a server/domain
    point of view.
    My question was only related to an MCDST field of competence.
    Say....win xp in a small workgroup.
    The mcdst topics and matters do not cover Active Directory (other than few
    mentions here and there..)

    Syd, Jun 6, 2006
  4. It's not necessary to place every user in their own OU to apply a "personal"
    policy.
    Use permissions on the GPO to restrict which users/computers shall be
    permitted to apply the GPO.

    "John Strohecker" <> skrev i
    meddelandet news:...

    Henrik Johansson, Jun 7, 2006
  5. If using a workgroup you will only have the local GPO which applies to all
    users using the computer.

    I haven't seen any use of it in WinXP, but the "system policy editor"
    (poledit.exe) was a way to manage policies in older systems (Win9x/NT4/2k)
    and could apply settings to different users/groups.
    The poledit tool is version depending, but it could *maybe* be possibly to
    use the Win2k-version on a XP-box (both are NT5.x).

    Henrik Johansson, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Syd

    Syd Guest

    "Henrik Johansson se>" <nospam_Henrik<d0t]Johansson[@t]miun[d.t> wrote in
    message news:%...
    > It's not necessary to place every user in their own OU to apply a
    > "personal" policy.
    > Use permissions on the GPO to restrict which users/computers shall be
    > permitted to apply the GPO.

    Thanks, I reckon I need a much more in-depth study of this topic
    Syd, Jun 8, 2006
  7. A third way is to create WMI-filters to restrict software installation to
    specific computer configurations (disk space etc), but that's propably to
    much deap diving into GPO-handling to be a topic for MCDST.

    Henrik Johansson, Jun 8, 2006
  8. Syd

    Steve W. Guest

    You can add any number of local groups and allow or disallow specific rights
    to that group. Windows XP and 2003 do not allow single user rights
    assignment. So if you dont want to affect the existing user groups. "Admins,
    Backup ops, guests, network config ops, power users, remote desk users,
    replicator, users, help services group". you can create a new one for you
    CEO to give him access to enough things to make him happy but make it so he
    cant actually DO anything to those system files to which he demands access.

    You can access this from computer management and probably a couple other
    areas (The parts I hate the most on these tests.. "how do you get to <insert
    config area> A B C D or E".)

    Steve W., Jul 25, 2006