    in?

    Thanks

    Billy
    Bay, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Bay

    bolit Guest

    group polices and security templates are two different
    things. you use security templates to modify group policy
    settings
    local (group) polices are only used on stand-alone servers
    they are are also proccesed at member servers but group
    polices override them
    you can filter your group polices by using security
    groups

    templates. What is the
    >difference among them? Both of them allow you to

    configure account
    >policies, local polices etc.. which one should I use?

    Under what condition
    >I should use security templates instead of Group policies?
    >
    >Question 2: Group policies override local policies,

    right? If there are a
    >couple of servers and there is only one server that I

    want to apply group
    >policy not allowing people to restart or shut off the

    server, should I just
    >use local policy for that server?
    >
    >Question 3: How do you go back to the original security

    setting after you
    >have applied a security template in security

    configuration and analysis snap

    bolit, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Bay

    Herb Martin Guest

    > I am a bit confused by the Group policy and security templates. What is
    the
    > difference among them? Both of them allow you to configure account
    > policies, local polices etc.. which one should I use? Under what

    condition
    > I should use security templates instead of Group policies?

    Generally Security Policies are a subset of Group Policy which you can
    apply alone to single machines -- you can also import a security policy
    into a Group Policy for linking to AD containers.

    > Question 2: Group policies override local policies, right? If there are a
    > couple of servers and there is only one server that I want to apply group
    > policy not allowing people to restart or shut off the server, should I

    just
    > use local policy for that server?

    Your choice -- maybe both depending on how sensitive the server is.

    For one server the difficulty is about the same either way. For 10 servers
    it
    is easier to do centrally.

    > Question 3: How do you go back to the original security setting after you
    > have applied a security template in security configuration and analysis

    snap
    > in?

    The rules for this are more complicated than I thought so someone else
    will have to answer....

    --
    Herb Martin
    Herb Martin, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Bay

    MikeF Guest

    "Bay" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > SNIP
    > Question 2: Group policies override local policies, right? If there

    are a
    > couple of servers and there is only one server that I want to apply

    group
    > policy not allowing people to restart or shut off the server, should

    I just
    > use local policy for that server?

    remember that local policies are overridden by policies on the site,
    domain or ou. so if you want to apply a policy to one computer, you
    have to do one or two things first. look that up, and it will help
    you understand how gpo's work.

    > Question 3: How do you go back to the original security setting

    after you
    > have applied a security template in security configuration and

    analysis snap
    > in?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Billy

    You can re-apply the original template. If you are about to replace
    heavily customized security settings with a template, you can export
    the settings to be replaced into a template of their own. Called,
    say, original. Then, to go back, apply that.

    Mike
    MikeF, Sep 28, 2003