Group Policy Objects

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Guest, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    This is not a trick question - just a matter of curiosity.

    Which would be quickest:

    A single group policy which contained policies for folder
    redirection, assignment of couple applications, & account
    policies

    OR

    3 single policies, e.g. 1 for folder redirection, 1 for
    software assignment and one for account policies.

    The latter approach would seem best in terms of management
    of GPO's, however, in a real world environment, would the
    former arrangement be quicker to process at logon?

    I am assuming that in both GPO's, that all other options
    within the GPO are configured as "not configured".

    Has anyone done any experimenting on a real live network
    regarding the above and the effect it has on the time
    taken to process the policy(ies)
    Guest, Oct 21, 2003

  2. circa Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:23:50 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    () said,
    > This is not a trick question - just a matter of curiosity.
    >
    > Which would be quickest:
    >
    > A single group policy which contained policies for folder
    > redirection, assignment of couple applications, & account
    > policies
    >
    > OR
    >
    > 3 single policies, e.g. 1 for folder redirection, 1 for
    > software assignment and one for account policies.

    It depends on several things. If the single policies had been
    significantly reduced in size via a little trick I use, then the
    latter would be better across the board.

    > The latter approach would seem best in terms of management
    > of GPO's, however, in a real world environment, would the
    > former arrangement be quicker to process at logon?

    Generally, yes, but a lot will depend on what you're doing with the
    policies, and the reality is, with what you've mentioned, it's going
    to take longer to carry out the policies than to parse them.

    > I am assuming that in both GPO's, that all other options
    > within the GPO are configured as "not configured".

    Irrelevant in terms of parsing unless you've reduced template size.

    > Has anyone done any experimenting on a real live network
    > regarding the above and the effect it has on the time
    > taken to process the policy(ies)

    Yes. Answer: it depends.

    Laura

    --
    Outside of a dog, a book is your best friend, and inside a dog, it's
    too dark to read.
    Laura A. Robinson, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Guest

    Jtyc Guest

    > Laura

    Like a beautiful dream she drifts back into our presence.

    Rejoice!
    Jtyc, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Jtyc wrote:
    >> Laura

    > Like a beautiful dream she drifts back into our presence.

    Her eyes are like lipid pools of silicon.

    --
    Fris "She is NOT an ANIMATRON!" beeĀ® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Oct 21, 2003

  5. >-----Original Message-----
    >Jtyc wrote:
    >>> Laura

    >> Like a beautiful dream she drifts back into our

    presence.

    >Her eyes are like lipid pools of silicon.
    >
    >--
    >Fris "She is NOT an ANIMATRON!" beeĀ® MCNGP #13
    >
    >http://www.mcngp.tk
    >The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    I was at Universal Studios about 1 1/2 weeks ago... Saw
    Laura.1 on display. The modifications made quite a
    difference... Hey, I was in your neck of the woods Fris!!!
    Keyboard Cowboy, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Laura

    Thanks for your reply. Care to expand a little on your
    trick you mention with the GPO?

    Thanks again

    Guest, Oct 22, 2003