    on a 32-bit workstation, by going to the properties of an OU and then editing
    the GP object from the group policy tab of the OU properties dialog?

    Nick Payne

    =?Utf-8?B?TmljayBQYXluZQ==?=, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
    This has to do with 32bit and 64-bit snap-ins, 32-bit and 64-bit MMC.exe,
    and 32-bit and 64-bit hosted snap-ins.
    MMC can be 32-bit or 64-bit. MMC.exe
    Snap-ins can be 32-bit or 64-bit. *.msc
    A snap-in can host other snap-ins, take computer management for example, it
    hosts a number of different snap-ins.

    Try reading this article at least the section I cut and pasted below the
    link:
    304718 How to use the Administration Tools Pack to remotely administer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304718

    Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools issues on x64-based versions of
    Windows Server 2003
    When you try to modify a Group Policy on an x64-based version of Windows
    Server 2003 from the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, the
    Active Directory Sites and Services snap-in, or the Group Policy Management
    Console snap-in, you receive the following error message:
    Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly
    and then try again.
    To search for a file click the Start button and then click Search
    When you try to modify a GPO from any one of the snap-ins that is listed
    earlier, a call is made to start the Gpedit.msc file. Currently, the
    snap-ins that call the Gpedit.msc file are 32-bit tools. However, on
    x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003, Gpedit.msc is a 64-bit snap-in.
    This problem will be corrected in a future release of a 64-bit
    Adminpak.msi package. To work around this problem, use either of the
    following methods.Method oneModify the GPOs from a computer that is running
    a 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003, a 32-bit version of Windows XP,
    or a version of Windows 2000.Method twoUse the following commands to start
    the snap-ins, and then modify the GPOs:
    - To start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in:
    %windir%\syswow64\mmc.exe %windir%\system32\dsa.msc -32
    - To start the Active Directory Sites and Service snap-in:
    %windir%\syswow64\mmc.exe %windir%\system32\dssite.msc -32
    - To start the Group Policy Management Console snap-in:
    %windir%\syswow64\mmc.exe %windir%\system32\gpmc.msc -32

    Also may want to take a look at this article for the possible permissions
    issues with MMC under X64.
    895978 You cannot open the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC snap-in
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895978

    Just in case you ever wonder why sometimes you get prompted to open either
    a 32-bit MMC Snap-in or a 64-bit MMC Snap-in

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 25, 2005