Group Policies Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Erik, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. Erik

    Erik Guest

    I have a new laptop that I rolled back to Windows XP Professional
    Edition from Vista Business.

    The problem I am having is when I attempt to install msi files it
    gives me errors.

    The errors are as follows:

    Manual Install of MSI file - "The system administrator has set
    policies to prevent this installation."

    Installation Via System Install (Using AutoCAD 2008 for this example)
    - "The installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your
    system administrator. D"\x86\support\msxml\msxml6.msi"

    If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

    I have run through the Group Policy settings and come up blank (there
    is nothing strange there) but I am thinking it has something to do
    with the Vista Policy thingy that it makes you accept it on all
    installs (what a "lovely feature") so as to stop automatic installs.
    Anyways, if you have any help PLEASE let me know.

    Thank you,

    Erik, Oct 2, 2007

  2. Erik

    meerkat Guest

    "Erik" <> wrote in message
    >I have a new laptop that I rolled back to Windows XP Professional
    > Edition from Vista Business.
    >
    > The problem I am having is when I attempt to install msi files it
    > gives me errors.
    >
    > The errors are as follows:
    >
    > Manual Install of MSI file - "The system administrator has set
    > policies to prevent this installation."
    >
    > Installation Via System Install (Using AutoCAD 2008 for this
    > example)
    > - "The installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your
    > system administrator. D"\x86\support\msxml\msxml6.msi"
    >
    > If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.
    >
    > I have run through the Group Policy settings and come up blank
    > (there
    > is nothing strange there) but I am thinking it has something to do
    > with the Vista Policy thingy that it makes you accept it on all
    > installs (what a "lovely feature") so as to stop automatic installs.
    > Anyways, if you have any help PLEASE let me know.

    Can`t you just login as Admin ?.

    meerkat, Oct 2, 2007

  3. Erik

    Erik Guest

    On Oct 2, 9:28 am, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > "Erik" <> wrote in message

    > >I have a new laptop that I rolled back to Windows XP Professional
    > > Edition from Vista Business.

    > > The problem I am having is when I attempt to install msi files it
    > > gives me errors.

    > > The errors are as follows:

    > > Manual Install of MSI file - "The system administrator has set
    > > policies to prevent this installation."

    > > Installation Via System Install (Using AutoCAD 2008 for this
    > > example)
    > > - "The installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your
    > > system administrator. D"\x86\support\msxml\msxml6.msi"

    > > If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

    > > I have run through the Group Policy settings and come up blank
    > > (there
    > > is nothing strange there) but I am thinking it has something to do
    > > with the Vista Policy thingy that it makes you accept it on all
    > > installs (what a "lovely feature") so as to stop automatic installs.
    > > Anyways, if you have any help PLEASE let me know.

    > Can`t you just login as Admin ?.

    I am logged in as Administrator as well as a user with Administrator
    Rights on the Local Machine.

    These two Items did not help.

    Erik, Oct 2, 2007
  4. Erik

    meerkat Guest

    "Erik" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 2, 9:28 am, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >> "Erik" <> wrote in message

    >> >I have a new laptop that I rolled back to Windows XP Professional
    >> > Edition from Vista Business.

    >> > The problem I am having is when I attempt to install msi files it
    >> > gives me errors.

    >> > The errors are as follows:

    >> > Manual Install of MSI file - "The system administrator has set
    >> > policies to prevent this installation."

    >> > Installation Via System Install (Using AutoCAD 2008 for this
    >> > example)
    >> > - "The installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your
    >> > system administrator. D"\x86\support\msxml\msxml6.msi"

    >> > If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

    >> > I have run through the Group Policy settings and come up blank
    >> > (there
    >> > is nothing strange there) but I am thinking it has something to
    >> > do
    >> > with the Vista Policy thingy that it makes you accept it on all
    >> > installs (what a "lovely feature") so as to stop automatic
    >> > installs.
    >> > Anyways, if you have any help PLEASE let me know.

    >> Can`t you just login as Admin ?.

    > I am logged in as Administrator as well as a user with Administrator
    > Rights on the Local Machine.
    >
    > These two Items did not help.

    Follow the instructions here...
    Start/Help and support, and type in Group Policy settings.
    select the first item, `pick a task`.

    meerkat, Oct 2, 2007
  5. Erik

    Erik Guest

    On Oct 2, 9:50 am, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > "Erik" <> wrote in message

    > > On Oct 2, 9:28 am, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    > >> "Erik" <> wrote in message

    > >> Can`t you just login as Admin ?.

    > > I am logged in as Administrator as well as a user with Administrator
    > > Rights on the Local Machine.

    > > These two Items did not help.

    > Follow the instructions here...
    > Start/Help and support, and type in Group Policy settings.
    > select the first item, `pick a task`.

    This has nothing to do with installations from a disk...only running
    files FROM a folder.

    Erik, Oct 2, 2007
  6. Erik

    meerkat Guest

    "Erik" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 2, 9:50 am, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >> "Erik" <> wrote in message

    >> > I am logged in as Administrator as well as a user with
    >> > Administrator
    >> > Rights on the Local Machine.

    >> > These two Items did not help.

    >> Follow the instructions here...
    >> Start/Help and support, and type in Group Policy settings.
    >> select the first item, `pick a task`.

    > This has nothing to do with installations from a disk...only running
    > files FROM a folder.

    Hi Erik. Go to www.google.com and type in
    `The installation is forbidden by system policy`.
    You`ll get loads of hits to examine/help with your problem.
    You`ve obviously got to allow yourself permission to do what you want.

    meerkat, Oct 2, 2007
  7. Erik

    Guest

    Erik <> wrote:

    >I have a new laptop that I rolled back to Windows XP Professional
    >Edition from Vista Business.
    >
    >The problem I am having is when I attempt to install msi files it
    >gives me errors.
    >
    >The errors are as follows:
    >
    >Manual Install of MSI file - "The system administrator has set
    >policies to prevent this installation."
    >
    >Installation Via System Install (Using AutoCAD 2008 for this example)
    >- "The installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your
    >system administrator. D"\x86\support\msxml\msxml6.msi"
    >
    >If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.
    >
    >I have run through the Group Policy settings and come up blank (there
    >is nothing strange there) but I am thinking it has something to do
    >with the Vista Policy thingy that it makes you accept it on all
    >installs (what a "lovely feature") so as to stop automatic installs.
    >Anyways, if you have any help PLEASE let me know.
    >
    >Thank you,

    Maybe change the registry entry:
    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer \disableMSI
    from a 1 to a 0
    http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=556182
    --

    ad-supported television content over the Internet
    http://www.joost.com/

    , Oct 2, 2007
  8. Erik

    madcow182

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Erik,

    This is actually a problem with the version of the XML Parser AutoDesk has on the installation media. You can get around it by following these steps:

    First uninstall any existing instances of MSXML 6 parser from Add / Remove Programs. Then download and install KB933579 from Microsoft. This is an updated version of the XML Parser.

    Then you'll need to prevent the AutoCAD installer from trying to install it's broken version of XML. You can do this by editing the SETUP.INI file on the disk. (You'll need to copy the contents of the DVD to your hard disk.) In the SETUP.INI section, chage the lines that say:

    EXE_PATH=support\msxml\msxml6.msi
    EXE64_PATH=support\msxml\msxml6_x64.msi

    #EXE_PATH=support\msxml\msxml6.msi
    #EXE64_PATH=support\msxml\msxml6_x64.msi

    This will prevent the installer from trying to launch the broken msi file. But since you installed xml from Microsoft's website it doesn't matter.

    If you're deploying AutoCAD to multiple machines, you might want to consider creating a deployment using the utility on the AutoCAD DVD. If you go that route, the ini file you'll need to modify is called <whatever you named the deployment>.ini

    hope that helps.

    madcow182, Oct 18, 2007