    If not, is there more suitable group?

    Thanks,

    cg

    cg, Jan 25, 2007

  2. cg

    Bogwitch Guest

    cg,

    Probably, it fits and I can't find a more appropriate group.
    Did you want to discuss anythin specific?

    Bogwitch.

    Bogwitch, Jan 25, 2007

  3. cg

    cg Guest

    Well, it might have been sound a bit vague.

    What I want to explore more is the way malwares are injected, and on
    the other way, how to effectively deal with them. These things will be
    done in a confined lab environment.
    Basically, I'd like to know what kind of rootkits or programs are
    currently used by hackers to damage computer systems, and what kind of
    tools and methods are being used to protect against them, and once
    compromised, how to analyze them to figure out what had happened and
    how to trace back the hackers. I would be only interested in free tools
    for WinXP and Linux machines.

    cg, Jan 25, 2007
  4. From: "cg" <>

    | Well, it might have been sound a bit vague.
    |
    | What I want to explore more is the way malwares are injected, and on
    | the other way, how to effectively deal with them. These things will be
    | done in a confined lab environment.
    | Basically, I'd like to know what kind of rootkits or programs are
    | currently used by hackers to damage computer systems, and what kind of
    | tools and methods are being used to protect against them, and once
    | compromised, how to analyze them to figure out what had happened and
    | how to trace back the hackers. I would be only interested in free tools
    | for WinXP and Linux machines.

    Your best, *public*, bet would be; news:alt.comp.virus to discuss malware infection
    vectors, RootKit technology and anti rootkit utilities (such as Gmer). Other aspects may
    NOT be fit for public disclosure such as specific information associated with such malware
    as the Gromozon.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Jan 26, 2007
  5. cg wrote:
    > Well, it might have been sound a bit vague.
    >
    > What I want to explore more is the way malwares are injected, and on
    > the other way, how to effectively deal with them. These things will be
    > done in a confined lab environment.
    > Basically, I'd like to know what kind of rootkits or programs are
    > currently used by hackers to damage computer systems, and what kind of
    > tools and methods are being used to protect against them, and once
    > compromised, how to analyze them to figure out what had happened and
    > how to trace back the hackers. I would be only interested in free tools
    > for WinXP and Linux machines.

    You may be interested in setting up a honeypot (aka tarpit, honeytrap)
    http://www.atomicsoftwaresolutions.com/honeybot.php
    http://www.honeynet.org/misc/project.html
    http://www.honeypots.net/
    http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/networking/honeypot.htm

    Ian Ozenthroat, Jan 26, 2007
  6. cg

    Goal Guy Guest

    i am also looking computer forensics group cause i am network security
    and managament student and anxiously looking for such group or
    discussion forum.
    Thankx
    Bilal

    Goal Guy, Jan 27, 2007