    AVG as from the end of this month (May) Does anybody know anything about
    this?
    Thanks for any replies.

    Freddie, May 3, 2008

  2. Freddie wrote:

    > I've just heard that Grisoft will not be providing updates for their
    > Free AVG as from the end of this month (May) Does anybody know
    > anything about this? Thanks for any replies.

    Did you check their web site?

    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 3, 2008

  3. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    > Freddie wrote:
    >
    >> I've just heard that Grisoft will not be providing updates for their
    >> Free AVG as from the end of this month (May) Does anybody know
    >> anything about this? Thanks for any replies.

    > Did you check their web site?

    Many Thanks for the quick reply, I've just looked at the site you suggested,
    but can't find the answer. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

    Freddie, May 3, 2008
  4. Freddie

    *Less* Guest

    "SJP" <> wrote in message

    > "Freddie" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just heard that Grisoft will not be providing updates for their Free
    >> AVG as from the end of this month (May) Does anybody know anything about
    >> this?
    >> Thanks for any replies.
    >>

    > Not true as far as I know. Perhaps they are stopping updates for the old
    > free version but they have only just released a free Version 8

    Here is what: 94954lgb had to say about AVG 8: on a confirmation
    to OP "Jack" Posted 4/25//2008 @ 8:45 pm. in this NG.

    *Less*

    NOTICE: AVG 8.0 IS DANGEROUS

    WARNING: The new AVG 8.0 scans for many things in one program. It
    now scans 'objects' for virus, adware, malware, phishing, bad links
    and other things. AVG uses all the CPU it can acquire to scan and
    runs the CPU very hard.

    FYI... I have installed AVG 8.0 on several computers and ran a first
    time scan on each.

    The fastest laptop (1.6 GHz with 1024MB RAM) took one hour, 10 mins.
    To scan 550,000 objects. CPU usage was 100% as was disk access. This
    is too long to run that hard and heated up the laptop but not to
    dangerous levels.

    A Dell tower, 2.4 GHz with 768MB RAM, ran for almost 2 hours and
    scanned 990,000 objects.

    The slowest computer (900 MHz) with 512MB RAM was still running after
    4 hours!! I stopped it at 440,000 'objects'.

    The slow computer's CPU was running 100% and the disk was close to
    that.

    This is DANGEROUS as the laptop was blazing HOT after running that
    long at high usage. Further, this will cause the computer to wear out
    sooner.

    I will be investigating what to do about this with AVG - you may want
    to HOLD OFF INSTALLING Version 8.0 for a while to see if AVG fixes
    this.

    If AVG cannot fix this - it may be time to scout out another anti-
    virus scanning program.

    I suppose one could remove 8.0 and download the prior version 7.5
    until a resolution is found.

    *Less*, May 3, 2008
  5. Freddie

    Sean_Q_ Guest

    *Less* wrote:

    > I suppose one could remove 8.0 and download the prior version 7.5
    > until a resolution is found.

    Where can I get version 7.5?

    SQ

    Sean_Q_, May 3, 2008
  6. Freddie

    *Less* Guest

    "Sean_Q_" <> wrote in message
    > *Less* wrote:
    >
    >> I suppose one could remove 8.0 and download the prior version 7.5
    >> until a resolution is found.

    > Where can I get version 7.5?

    Try here: http://tinyurl.com/6zeh9g Some Links advertise AVG 7.5 Version,
    but when you log on you will find version 8.1, so be carefull.

    *Less*

    > SQ

    Hello Sean,

    I did not quote the above, all I wrote is the following:

    >Here is what: 94954lgb had to say about AVG 8: on a confirmation
    >to OP "Jack" Posted 4/25//2008 @ 8:45 pm. in this NG.

    >*Less*

    What follows below my name is from: <94954lgb> you could find him/her
    by looking for the Post under the name <Jack>
    Posted 4/25//2008 @ 8:45 pm. in this NG. hope this helps.

    *Less*

    *Less*, May 3, 2008
  7. Freddie

    VanguardLH Guest

    "*Less*" wrote in <news:bh%Sj.240414$pM4.197293@pd7urf1no>:

    > Here is what: 94954lgb had to say about AVG 8: on a confirmation
    > to OP "Jack" Posted 4/25//2008 @ 8:45 pm. in this NG.
    >
    > NOTICE: AVG 8.0 IS DANGEROUS
    >
    > WARNING: The new AVG 8.0 scans for many things in one program. It
    > now scans 'objects' for virus, adware, malware, phishing, bad links
    > and other things. AVG uses all the CPU it can acquire to scan and
    > runs the CPU very hard.

    Running at 100% is not a valid measurement by itself to indicate a
    problem with a program regarding the concurrent use of the computer by
    the user or other processes.

    > FYI... I have installed AVG 8.0 on several computers and ran a first
    > time scan on each.
    >
    > The fastest laptop (1.6 GHz with 1024MB RAM) took one hour, 10 mins.
    > To scan 550,000 objects. CPU usage was 100% as was disk access.

    Noting high CPU usage says nothing definite about impact on usability or
    responsiveness of a host. Many programs will suck up 100% but run at
    low priority. ANYTHING else that wants CPU time will get it and the
    busy program goes dormant to wait for a second or two until high demand
    goes away (any process with higher priority than itself). Some backups
    and file indexing programs are like that: it looks like they are
    slamming the CPU at 100% but they immediately get their time slice
    relinquished when a higher priority tasks wants to work. So a better
    measurement would be a program that is scripting to perform a series of
    tasks that take a long time to complete while the process in question is
    executing. Then you can see how much longer the "work" task takes to
    complete with and without the high-CPU, low-priority program running.

    So did this "reporter" ever mentioned at what priority the AVG processes
    were running during the scan? No.

    > This is too long to run that hard and heated up the laptop but not to
    > dangerous levels.

    If your hardware cannot endure 100% CPU usage and do so *constantly*
    than it is crap that deserves to burn up.

    > A Dell tower, 2.4 GHz with 768MB RAM, ran for almost 2 hours and
    > scanned 990,000 objects.
    >
    > The slowest computer (900 MHz) with 512MB RAM was still running after
    > 4 hours!! I stopped it at 440,000 'objects'.

    So did this "tester" run the scan on non-executable files, too? Was was
    the makeup of the fileset on which he tested? Were there thousands of
    archive files with 30 levels of hierarchy in file organization to wade
    through while also have to decompress on-the-fly? Where they mostly
    huge 4GB, or bigger, video files or millions of small doc files?

    Other than the poor specs provided for hardware (hardly usable for
    comparing the hosts), were the setups identical regarding what services
    and background programs were running? Was file indexing disabled on
    each? Based the dearth of hardware, OS, and environment information,
    the descriptions of the test hosts are way too vague.

    > The slow computer's CPU was running 100% and the disk was close to
    > that.

    You expect a host to perform well with a disk that is close to 100%
    full? Oh, and we're supposed to know how virtual memory was defined on
    each host?

    > This is DANGEROUS as the laptop was blazing HOT after running that
    > long at high usage. Further, this will cause the computer to wear out
    > sooner.

    So the "logic" that AVG 8 is bad is that this "reporter" has really
    crappy hardware that burns itself up when it is actually used. Oooh,
    those deck screws are hazardous to that cheap screwdriver whose tip
    breaks or bends when put under actual use. Uh huh. I bet this same
    boob would report that CAD, Prime95, video software, and just about
    anything else that makes use of 100% of his hardware is dangerous, too.

    > I will be investigating what to do about this with AVG - you may want
    > to HOLD OFF INSTALLING Version 8.0 for a while to see if AVG fixes
    > this.

    Fixes what? Your inability to use your laptop to its fullest? And
    mostly because you claim the laptop is hot which is nondescriptive and
    says nothing about the ability of the laptop to operate continuously at
    100% at that higher temperature? Guess that means this "reporter" won't
    be running any games on that crappy computer that cannot run
    *continuously* at 100% CPU usage.

    I'm not defending AVG by claiming that it isn't without problems. I
    switched from AVG to Avast. What I'm saying is that claiming 100% CPU
    usage alone means a program is "bad" exhibits ignorance. It
    profilerates ignorance. I can't remember how many times some boob
    claims that they don't have enough physical memory because most of it is
    inuse and thinks they need a bunch of it sitting around unused as if
    that is going help performance. 100% CPU usage is not a solitary
    indicator of impact to usability and responsiveness of a host.

    VanguardLH, May 4, 2008
  8. Freddie

    *Less* Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    ..
> [...]

    > mostly because you claim the laptop is hot which is nondescriptive and
    > says nothing about the ability of the laptop to operate continuously at
    > 100% at that higher temperature? Guess that means this "reporter" won't
    > be running any games on that crappy computer that cannot run
    > *continuously* at 100% CPU usage.
    >
    > I'm not defending AVG by claiming that it isn't without problems. I
    > switched from AVG to Avast. What I'm saying is that claiming 100% CPU
    > usage alone means a program is "bad" exhibits ignorance. It
    > profilerates ignorance. I can't remember how many times some boob
    > claims that they don't have enough physical memory because most of it is
    > inuse and thinks they need a bunch of it sitting around unused as if
    > that is going help performance. 100% CPU usage is not a solitary
    > indicator of impact to usability and responsiveness of a host.

    Thank you Vanguard,

    for taking the time to clarify the false alarm, I also use Avast 4.8 Pro.
    I was concerned about <94954lgb> post because my Brother
    and a couple Friends of mine use AVG. free Version.

    *Less*

    *Less*, May 4, 2008
  9. Freddie

    VanguardLH Guest

    "*Less*" wrote in <news:AGaTj.113660$Cj7.10391@pd7urf2no>:

> [...]

    >> be running any games on that crappy computer that cannot run
    >> *continuously* at 100% CPU usage.
    >>
    >> I'm not defending AVG by claiming that it isn't without problems. I
    >> switched from AVG to Avast. What I'm saying is that claiming 100% CPU
    >> usage alone means a program is "bad" exhibits ignorance. It
    >> profilerates ignorance. I can't remember how many times some boob
    >> claims that they don't have enough physical memory because most of it is
    >> inuse and thinks they need a bunch of it sitting around unused as if
    >> that is going help performance. 100% CPU usage is not a solitary
    >> indicator of impact to usability and responsiveness of a host.

    > Thank you Vanguard,
    >
    > for taking the time to clarify the false alarm, I also use Avast 4.8 Pro.
    > I was concerned about <94954lgb> post because my Brother
    > and a couple Friends of mine use AVG. free Version.

    A high-priority task, especially one ran at real-time priority, might
    only consume a little CPU usage but completely lockup the host. A
    malware scanner that is saturating the data bus during a scan might only
    use low CPU usage but still effectively lockup or otherwise interfere
    with reasonable use of a host. In fact, I've used many applications
    that will run at low priority that smack the CPU usage meter to 100% but
    they go immediately dormant if I move the mouse or tap a key or if a
    higher-priority job wants more time.

    VanguardLH, May 4, 2008
  10. Freddie

    *Less* Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message ..
    > "*Less*" wrote in <news:AGaTj.113660$Cj7.10391@pd7urf2no>:

    <Snip>

    >>> I'm not defending AVG by claiming that it isn't without problems. I
    >>> switched from AVG to Avast. What I'm saying is that claiming 100% CPU
    >>> usage alone means a program is "bad" exhibits ignorance. It
    >>> profilerates ignorance. I can't remember how many times some boob
    >>> claims that they don't have enough physical memory because most of it is
    >>> inuse and thinks they need a bunch of it sitting around unused as if
    >>> that is going help performance. 100% CPU usage is not a solitary
    >>> indicator of impact to usability and responsiveness of a host.

    >> Thank you Vanguard,
    >>
    >> for taking the time to clarify the false alarm, I also use Avast 4.8 Pro.
    >> I was concerned about <94954lgb> post because my Brother
    >> and a couple Friends of mine use AVG. free Version.
    >>
    >> *Less*

    > A high-priority task, especially one ran at real-time priority, might
    > only consume a little CPU usage but completely lockup the host. A
    > malware scanner that is saturating the data bus during a scan might only
    > use low CPU usage but still effectively lockup or otherwise interfere
    > with reasonable use of a host. In fact, I've used many applications
    > that will run at low priority that smack the CPU usage meter to 100% but
    > they go immediately dormant if I move the mouse or tap a key or if a
    > higher-priority job wants more time.

    I have used Process Explorer a couple times to see which apps.
    are running on the background, never tried to monitor the CPU usage
    during a virus scan. As you are aware of Avast has a Boot Scan
    option that's the one I use most of the times, and when I run Avast
    for a virus scan I go for coffee because Windows is under Avast anesthetic,
    and I do not bother monitoring the CPU usage like <94954lgb> does.

    Cheers *Less*

    *Less*, May 4, 2008
  11. Freddie

    Plato Guest

    Freddie wrote:

    > I've just heard that Grisoft will not be providing updates for their Free
    > AVG as from the end of this month (May) Does anybody know anything about
    > this?

    The trend for anti-virus companies is to start charging for downloads
    and updates.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 6, 2008
  12. Freddie

    nagasai Guest

    On May 3, 5:36 pm, "Freddie" <> wrote:
    > I've just heard that Grisoft will not be providing updates for their Free
    > AVG  as from the end of this month (May) Does anybody know anything about
    > this?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    yes its true. AVG will not provide updates for free avg8.0.

    i will give u the key for AVG antivirus8.0.this key works for 8
    months.its true.

    AVG ANTIVIRUS 8.0 KEY

    75VNU-TH1RR1-L7-P03-C01-S3S9MD-2YN-3AUS

    THIS KEY WORKS FOR 8 MONTHS