Griping and whining: worst Newegg shipping experience ever

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by James D Andrews, Jul 6, 2011.

  1. Griping and whining here.

    I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of a new Raidmax case for my
    latest build, and after some of the most incredibly great shipping
    experiences imaginable from Newegg, which apparently have spoiled me,
    I'm frustrated awaiting my order.

    Technically, they're still within their window, processing time,
    holiday weekend, etc., but...

    I ordered the case, confirmed and payment charged at 5AM Friday, with
    2-3 day shipping.

    The order wasn't processed until Sunday night. This amazed me in two
    aspects: one that it took so long to process, two that they processed
    it on a Sunday.
    The order was posted as shipped Sunday.

    OK, Monday was a holiday, no biggie.
    But I expected the order to arrive yesterday evening. It didn't
    arrive, and tracking was never updated yesterday at all, so I had no
    idea where it was other than it was "shipped" from Memphis on Sunday.

    I checked tracking today, and the package didn't even leave Memphis
    until this morning.

    There, got that off my chest.

    Now, in Newegg and UPS's defense, it is still technically within the
    window as posted by Newegg's policy regarding processing time provided
    it arrives by tomorrow, and as I stated before it was a holiday
    weekend, but I expected faster processing and earlier shipping because
    that's what I've always had with Newegg.

    My personal favorite, I once ordered a product late in the morning with
    standard 2-3 day shipping and had it arrive the next evening.
    Essentially, that was 1 day shipping.

    Most of my shipping arrives on the evening of the 2nd day.

    I guess from now on with big packages I'm going to have to pay for the
    express processing. I never do because I've never needed it before,
    and because it says that they might not be able to do it, anyway (they
    refund the cost if they can't, though).

    See what happens when you spoil somebody.
    Still, Newegg rocks!

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov

    James D Andrews, Jul 6, 2011

  2. James D Andrews

    VanguardLH Guest

    James D Andrews wrote:

    > Griping and whining here.
    >
    > I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of a new Raidmax case for my
    > latest build, and after some of the most incredibly great shipping
    > experiences imaginable from Newegg, which apparently have spoiled me,
    > I'm frustrated awaiting my order.
    >
    > Technically, they're still within their window, processing time,
    > holiday weekend, etc., but...

    Then what are you complaining about?

    > I ordered the case, confirmed and payment charged at 5AM Friday, with
    > 2-3 day shipping.

    Um, you do realize that is the *expected* shipping time as indicated by
    whomever they used as their shipping service. The guaranteed timed
    delivery services are VERY expensive and I doubt you paid for that plus
    I don't remember Newegg offering it.

    > The order wasn't processed until Sunday night.

    Ask Newegg about the delay. Could be they couldn't authorize the charge
    against your credit/debit card until then.

    This amazed me in two
    > aspects: one that it took so long to process, two that they processed
    > it on a Sunday. The order was posted as shipped Sunday.

    What time Sunday? Newegg might've been open but they ship using USPS or
    UPS. Were those shippers open Sunday [night]? You didn't think Newegg
    was the shipper, did you?

    > OK, Monday was a holiday, no biggie.
    > But I expected the order to arrive yesterday evening. It didn't
    > arrive, and tracking was never updated yesterday at all, so I had no
    > idea where it was other than it was "shipped" from Memphis on Sunday.

    Again you're expecting cheap non-guaranteed delivery timed shipping
    service to be exactly within the 3 day limit. Since it is not a
    guaranteed delivery service, it could take a couple days longer. When
    it gets out to a week then you get worried.

    I've seen many folks using, say, Priority Mail from USPS thinking that,
    gee, they'll make their near-late payment on time so they don't get
    charged the high late fee for their credit card. Unless they pay the
    pricey cost of guaranteed delivery time (plus allocated at least 1 full
    business day AFTER delivery along with delivery time not being on a
    Fri-Sun), they still end up paying the late fee.

    > I checked tracking today, and the package didn't even leave Memphis
    > until this morning.

    That would be a problem with the shipper. So who did you select for
    shipping service?

    > There, got that off my chest.
    >
    > Now, in Newegg and UPS's defense,

    So it was UPS who was the shipper. Then likely it was their Ground
    Service that you used, not 2-day air. So a branch in Memphis tossed
    your package on a truck and the truck is driving from Memhpis to
    wherever you are. Shit happens on the road so you should call UPS with
    the tracking number to find out if they can give you any further
    details. After all, maybe the driver fell asleep and went off the road,
    maybe a UPS truck going the other way collided with the UPS truck
    carrying your package, maybe the Missouri river overflowed and the roads
    are blocked, whatever. UPS might be able to find more details if you
    call then versus what they report via their tracking info available on
    their web site.

    If you look at the Ground Service map at the UPS site, you'll see how
    many days *on average* it takes for truck delivery between states.
    That's just an estimate and is NOT a guaranteed delivery time.

    > provided
    > it arrives by tomorrow,

    It could take 2 weeks. What's Newegg going to do about it? They aren't
    the shipper. No one - neither you or Newegg - paid for guaranteed
    delivery time. Your beef is with UPS, not Newegg. Seems Newegg did
    their packaging and hand-off to the shipper on Sunday which impressed
    you that they were working over the weekend (and a holiday weekend).

    and as I stated before it was a holiday
    > weekend, but I expected faster processing and earlier shipping because
    > that's what I've always had with Newegg.
    >
    > My personal favorite, I once ordered a product late in the morning with
    > standard 2-3 day shipping and had it arrive the next evening.
    > Essentially, that was 1 day shipping.

    Because sometimes UPS will send the Ground Service'ed package via air if
    there is no additional cost to them (i.e., they have occupancy in their
    load to throw in some ground-rate packages). Also, they may have more
    than one warehouse and their package originated from one that was closer
    to you so, according to the UPS ground service map, it would only take
    1-2 days for *normal* delivery time.

    > See what happens when you spoil somebody.
    > Still, Newegg rocks!

    I'd say to call UPS to get more details. That the package is still
    listed as "Memphis" for location could mean it is still there or in en
    route. They don't update status until it hits one of their distribution
    points, so all you know is that it hasn't gotten to your nearest UPS
    location AND off the truck. It might be at your location but still
    sitting in the truck. The truck arrives after hours and then sits there
    until the next day, or whenever the other earlier trucks get unloaded
    and your truck next gets handled.

    Looks like Newegg did everything expected of them, and more since they
    shipped on a weekend (Sunday). After that, it's all up to UPS regarding
    when the package actually gets delivered. Sorry, but with paying for
    guaranteed delivery, there's nothing you can do if UPS takes a lot
    longer for a non-guaranteed delivery time.

    Also, since it is unlikely that you paid for guaranteed delivery time,
    it is likely the UPS service that got used was their Ground Service.
    Pickup and delivery for Ground Service can NOT be on a weekend or
    holiday. That's why you won't be able to get estimates on shipping cost
    on their web site if you pick a delivery time on the weekend or holiday.
    Took me awhile to figure out why sometimes their Ground Service wasn't
    listed in the quoted shipping prices. So Newegg could've gotten the
    package ready on Friday and given it to UPS but UPS wouldn't start
    hauling the package until the following Tuesday. That means the 2-3
    *normal* delivery time wouldn't expire until the *end* of Thursday, so
    you might not get the package until Friday - but, again, that isn't a
    guaranteed delivery time when you use Ground Service at UPS.

    VanguardLH, Jul 6, 2011

  3. James D Andrews

    Julie Bove Guest

    "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Griping and whining here.
    >
    > I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of a new Raidmax case for my latest
    > build, and after some of the most incredibly great shipping experiences
    > imaginable from Newegg, which apparently have spoiled me, I'm frustrated
    > awaiting my order.
    >
    > Technically, they're still within their window, processing time, holiday
    > weekend, etc., but...
    >
    > I ordered the case, confirmed and payment charged at 5AM Friday, with 2-3
    > day shipping.
    >
    > The order wasn't processed until Sunday night. This amazed me in two
    > aspects: one that it took so long to process, two that they processed it
    > on a Sunday.
    > The order was posted as shipped Sunday.
    >
    > OK, Monday was a holiday, no biggie.
    > But I expected the order to arrive yesterday evening. It didn't arrive,
    > and tracking was never updated yesterday at all, so I had no idea where it
    > was other than it was "shipped" from Memphis on Sunday.
    >
    > I checked tracking today, and the package didn't even leave Memphis until
    > this morning.
    >
    > There, got that off my chest.
    >
    > Now, in Newegg and UPS's defense, it is still technically within the
    > window as posted by Newegg's policy regarding processing time provided it
    > arrives by tomorrow, and as I stated before it was a holiday weekend, but
    > I expected faster processing and earlier shipping because that's what I've
    > always had with Newegg.
    >
    > My personal favorite, I once ordered a product late in the morning with
    > standard 2-3 day shipping and had it arrive the next evening.
    > Essentially, that was 1 day shipping.
    >
    > Most of my shipping arrives on the evening of the 2nd day.
    >
    > I guess from now on with big packages I'm going to have to pay for the
    > express processing. I never do because I've never needed it before, and
    > because it says that they might not be able to do it, anyway (they refund
    > the cost if they can't, though).
    >
    > See what happens when you spoil somebody.
    > Still, Newegg rocks!
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim

    I just ordered from them. The keyboard shipped the next day. I haven't
    gotten it yet but past experience with them means that the product arrives
    quickly.

    Julie Bove, Jul 7, 2011
  4. VanguardLH embroidered on the monitor :
> [...]

    > longer for a non-guaranteed delivery time.
    >
    > Also, since it is unlikely that you paid for guaranteed delivery time,
    > it is likely the UPS service that got used was their Ground Service.
    > Pickup and delivery for Ground Service can NOT be on a weekend or
    > holiday. That's why you won't be able to get estimates on shipping cost
    > on their web site if you pick a delivery time on the weekend or holiday.
    > Took me awhile to figure out why sometimes their Ground Service wasn't
    > listed in the quoted shipping prices. So Newegg could've gotten the
    > package ready on Friday and given it to UPS but UPS wouldn't start
    > hauling the package until the following Tuesday. That means the 2-3
    > *normal* delivery time wouldn't expire until the *end* of Thursday, so
    > you might not get the package until Friday - but, again, that isn't a
    > guaranteed delivery time when you use Ground Service at UPS.

    I was wondering what responses I was going to get here. Livens things
    up, eh?

    My point isn't that Newegg screwed up, my point was that it was the
    worst shipping time I'd experienced to date on a Newegg order. Sorry
    if I worded it poorly.

    I'm a strong advocate of purchasing through Newegg and one of the
    things I love most about it, besides its variety and prices, is the
    promptness of shipping.

    Yes, I realize the shipping problems are with UPS, as with my reference
    to the tracking not being updated.

    As for the accidents or disasters you mentioned interfering with
    delivery, I hope - for the sake of the drivers, not my package - that
    nothing like that occurred.

    Cheer!

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

    James D Andrews, Jul 7, 2011
  5. Julie Bove was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Griping and whining here.
    >>
    >> I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of a new Raidmax case for my latest
    >> build, and after some of the most incredibly great shipping experiences
    >> imaginable from Newegg, which apparently have spoiled me, I'm frustrated
    >> awaiting my order.
    >>

    >SNIP

    >> See what happens when you spoil somebody.
    >> Still, Newegg rocks!
    >>
    >> -- -There are some who call me...
    >> Jim

    > I just ordered from them. The keyboard shipped the next day. I haven't
    > gotten it yet but past experience with them means that the product arrives
    > quickly.

    By my opinion, you did the right thing. The whole point of my rant was
    that it almost NEVER takes this long on a Newegg order. You're
    keyboard will be there quite soon.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

    James D Andrews, Jul 7, 2011
  6. James D Andrews

    VanguardLH Guest

    Alas, the way UPS does their scan tracking means it could be sitting in
    a truck that arrived yesterday but didn't get unloaded until today ...
    maybe. It gets scanned as it goes on or off the truck. I once had a
    package that they forgot to remove from the truck when it got to my city
    which did a return leg back to the origin city where it got taken off to
    get scanned to find out it was the wrong destination and put back on the
    truck to show up again at my city. Scanning showed origin city, origin
    city (after a long delay), and then my city (after a reasonable delay).
    All UPS would do is a gratuitous apology. Oops. It's not like they
    guaranteed the delivery date for what I paid for shipping.

    I wasn't sure that *guaranteed* date delivery is even in their repertory
    of services. They only claim "reliable" delivery times and that they
    have a "commitment" to their planned delivery times as noted at
    http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/index.html?WT.svl=SubNav.
    Okay, so what happens if they don't make that reliable commitment? Are
    you refunded if delivery takes longer?

    http://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf
    section 47, page 30 (page index 33 in their .pdf file)

    Well, "UPS Ground" is listed for their guaranteed on-schedule delivery.
    So you could check on filing a claim for a refund on their shipping
    cost. You weren't the shipper but then the shipper didn't pay for the
    shipping. You did as per their own terms that state you must be the
    "payer of the shipping charges). I didn't an item on their claims page
    https://wwwapps.ups.com/webClaims/create?loc=en_US&report_type=1&WT.svl=PNRO_L1
    that indicates how to collect a refund on their claimed guarantee
    regarding delivery time. Neither does their PDF doc mention what is
    their liability regarding their "guarantee" of scheduled delivery.

    Good luck.

    VanguardLH, Jul 7, 2011
  7. VanguardLH snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > Alas, the way UPS does their scan tracking means it could be sitting in
    > a truck that arrived yesterday but didn't get unloaded until today ...
    > maybe. It gets scanned as it goes on or off the truck. I once had a
    > package that they forgot to remove from the truck when it got to my city
    > which did a return leg back to the origin city where it got taken off to
    > get scanned to find out it was the wrong destination and put back on the
    > truck to show up again at my city. Scanning showed origin city, origin
    > city (after a long delay), and then my city (after a reasonable delay).
    > All UPS would do is a gratuitous apology. Oops. It's not like they
    > guaranteed the delivery date for what I paid for shipping.
    >
    > I wasn't sure that *guaranteed* date delivery is even in their repertory
    > of services. They only claim "reliable" delivery times and that they
    > have a "commitment" to their planned delivery times as noted at
    > http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/index.html?WT.svl=SubNav.
    > Okay, so what happens if they don't make that reliable commitment? Are
    > you refunded if delivery takes longer?
    >
    > http://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf
    > section 47, page 30 (page index 33 in their .pdf file)
    >
    > Well, "UPS Ground" is listed for their guaranteed on-schedule delivery.
    > So you could check on filing a claim for a refund on their shipping
    > cost. You weren't the shipper but then the shipper didn't pay for the
    > shipping. You did as per their own terms that state you must be the
    > "payer of the shipping charges). I didn't an item on their claims page
    > https://wwwapps.ups.com/webClaims/create?loc=en_US&report_type=1&WT.svl=PNRO_L1
    > that indicates how to collect a refund on their claimed guarantee
    > regarding delivery time. Neither does their PDF doc mention what is
    > their liability regarding their "guarantee" of scheduled delivery.
    >
    > Good luck.

    OK, I got to say, if that happened to me, I might seriously be upset
    rather than just bummed. I had them leave it on the local truck on one
    day, but thankfully just only one day and they got it to me the next.
    My regular driver Mario wasn't working that day.

    I think the closest I had to your story would be a FedEx driver that
    claimed 2 days in a row to have stopped here when I was home all day
    with the door open.

    I checked the tracking this morning and my package was loaded at 4 AM,
    so it should get to me around 6PM as usual if its my regular driver.
    He's pretty consistent (granted it all depends on where all he has to
    go on a given run).

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because
    you might not get there."
    - Yogi Berra

    James D Andrews, Jul 7, 2011
  8. James D Andrews snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > Griping and whining here.
    >
    > I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of a new Raidmax case for my latest
    > build, and after some of the most incredibly great shipping experiences
    > imaginable from Newegg, which apparently have spoiled me, I'm frustrated
    > awaiting my order.

    YAY!!!
    My UPS dude brought the case this evening - it's even prettier than in
    the picture.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156223

    I'm a happy camper once again.

    As it turns out, it's got thumbscrews for the panels - bonus. Seems
    nice and solid, too. Can't wait to get all the guts for it.

    James D Andrews, Jul 8, 2011