    off but cant see anything amiss. Everything appears to work ok so there
    isn't anything obviously wrong. Is there a particular utility that may help
    diagnose a latent hardware failure?

    fhg, Jan 17, 2004

  2. fhg

    Harrison Guest

    Could it be the floppy drive looking for a boot disk?

    Harrison, Jan 17, 2004

  3. fhg

    ICee Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > Could it be the floppy drive looking for a boot disk?

    Yes, it could and probably is. 'Boot Up Floppy Seek' is probably
    enabled in the BIOS.

    ICee, Jan 17, 2004
  4. fhg

    SgtMinor Guest

    Has this grinding happened since day one or has it just started? Hard
    drives will sometimes begin to make noises. Doesn't mean they're about
    to break down, but they could, and it's a reminder to back up your data.

    SgtMinor, Jan 17, 2004
  5. fhg

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "fhg" <_(notreal)> wrote in message
    > there's a peculiar 'grinding' (for lack of a better word to describe it)
    > coming out of the mid-tower box, for just a few seconds, on boot up. What

    is
    > it likely to be ? A motor on the hard drive; a fan ? I took the case cover
    > off but cant see anything amiss. Everything appears to work ok so there
    > isn't anything obviously wrong. Is there a particular utility that may

    help
    > diagnose a latent hardware failure?

    You should then go to the website of your hard drive manufacturer(like
    Seagate or Western Digital)and do a diagnostic test of the drive using the
    utility they provide.

    Mark Mandell, Jan 17, 2004
  6. fhg

    Shel-hed Guest

    Classic fan symptoms.

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:20:15 -0500, "fhg" <_(notreal)> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Jan 17, 2004
  7. SgtMinor <> wrote:
    > Has this grinding happened since day one or has it just started? Hard
    > drives will sometimes begin to make noises. Doesn't mean they're
    > about to break down, but they could, and it's a reminder to back up
    > your data.
    >
    > fhg wrote:
    >>
    >> there's a peculiar 'grinding' (for lack of a better word to describe
    >> it) coming out of the mid-tower box, for just a few seconds, on boot
    >> up. What is it likely to be ? A motor on the hard drive; a fan ? I
    >> took the case cover off but cant see anything amiss. Everything
    >> appears to work ok so there isn't anything obviously wrong. Is there
    >> a particular utility that may help diagnose a latent hardware
    >> failure?

    Nortons (if you have it) could be scanning the drive too,it does that.

    Trai' La Trash, Jan 17, 2004