    then the light goes off and laptop power seems to cut out with a flash
    on the screen. Does anyone know if I can fix this problem? any help
    appreciated

    Thomas, May 20, 2005

  2. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thomas <> wrote in message
    news:ut9je.4156$...

    >I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working fine for a
    >while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being turned on, now
    >it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off after 1 second. The
    >disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up then the light goes off and
    >laptop power seems to cut out with a flash on the screen. Does anyone know if I
    >can fix this problem?

    Its most likely a dud battery. Not cheap to replace and
    it can be due to other things too so ideally you want to
    try a known good one first before buying a replacement.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2005

  3. Thomas

    Wizard Guest

    My guess would be a failed power supply fan. Happens all the time.

    Wizard, May 20, 2005
  4. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    Wizard <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > My guess would be a failed power supply fan.

    With a laptop ?

    > Happens all the time.

    Not with a laptop.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2005
  5. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > Thomas <> wrote in message
    >

    >>I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working fine for a
    >>while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being turned on, now
    >>it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off after 1 second. The
    >>disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up then the light goes off and
    >>laptop power seems to cut out with a flash on the screen. Does anyone know if I
    >>can fix this problem?

    > Its most likely a dud battery. Not cheap to replace and
    > it can be due to other things too so ideally you want to
    > try a known good one first before buying a replacement.

    well the battery I was using was the original GRiD battery which would
    only hold it's charge for a half hour and that was even if I didn't use
    it, trying to power the laptop with it was pointless considering it
    would do the same thing as I described in my original message, but I
    tried using the laptop with no batter and the problem still persists

    Thomas, May 20, 2005
  6. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    "Thomas" <> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> Thomas <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working fine for
    >>>a while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being turned on,
    >>>now it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off after 1 second.
    >>>The disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up then the light goes off
    >>>and laptop power seems to cut out with a flash on the screen. Does anyone
    >>>know if I can fix this problem?

    >> Its most likely a dud battery. Not cheap to replace and
    >> it can be due to other things too so ideally you want to
    >> try a known good one first before buying a replacement.

    > well the battery I was using was the original GRiD battery which would only
    > hold it's charge for a half hour and that was even if I didn't use it, trying
    > to power the laptop with it was pointless considering it would do the same
    > thing as I described in my original message, but I tried using the laptop with
    > no batter and the problem still persists

    OK, then likely its a dry joint problem. Expensive to fix with a laptop.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2005
  7. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    > "Thomas" <> wrote in message
    >> Rod Speed wrote:
    >>> Thomas <> wrote in message

    >>> Its most likely a dud battery. Not cheap to replace and
    >>> it can be due to other things too so ideally you want to
    >>> try a known good one first before buying a replacement.

    >> well the battery I was using was the original GRiD battery which would only
    >> hold it's charge for a half hour and that was even if I didn't use it, trying
    >> to power the laptop with it was pointless considering it would do the same
    >> thing as I described in my original message, but I tried using the laptop
    >> with no batter and the problem still persists

    > OK, then likely its a dry joint problem. Expensive to fix with a laptop.

    Worth trying another power pack if you can without spending any money.
    Or just wriggling the cable from it at either end, the laptop end and the
    powerpack end. Could be just a faulty cable.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2005
  8. Thomas

    Wizard Guest

    I stand by my statement, obviously you do go inside them much if you
    have never seen this!

    Wizard, May 21, 2005
  9. Thomas

    Wizard Guest

    Re: oral sex and chlamydia

    Wizard, May 21, 2005
  10. Thomas

    Wizard Guest

    Re: Feel like I've destroyed a perfectly good life!

    Wizard, May 21, 2005
  11. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    Wizard <> wrote in message

    > I stand by my statement,

    You can stand wherever you like, child.

    > obviously you do go inside them
    > much if you have never seen this!

    Laptops dont even have fans in their external power supplys, fool.

    You're no 'wizard', just a pig ignorant fuckwit.

    Rod Speed, May 22, 2005
  12. Thomas

    jollyrodgers Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > Wizard <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think I started my period but Im not sure Is period blood a redish
    >> brownish colour?

    What hole is it coming from. THBBBBBBBBBBBBB

    jollyrodgers, May 22, 2005
  13. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Thomas" <> wrote in message

    >>>well the battery I was using was the original GRiD battery which would only
    >>>hold it's charge for a half hour and that was even if I didn't use it, trying
    >>>to power the laptop with it was pointless considering it would do the same
    >>>thing as I described in my original message, but I tried using the laptop
    >>>with no batter and the problem still persists

    >>OK, then likely its a dry joint problem. Expensive to fix with a laptop.

    > Worth trying another power pack if you can without spending any money.
    > Or just wriggling the cable from it at either end, the laptop end and the
    > powerpack end. Could be just a faulty cable.

    is there some way I could at least connect the HD from the laptop to a
    PC, I notice the IDE/ATA plug for the laptop is smaller than that of
    your typical PC

    Thomas, Sep 4, 2005
  14. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thomas <> wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> "Thomas" <> wrote in message

    >>> OK, then likely its a dry joint problem. Expensive to fix with a
    >>> laptop.

    >> Worth trying another power pack if you can without spending any
    >> money. Or just wriggling the cable from it at either end, the laptop
    >> end and the powerpack end. Could be just a faulty cable.

    > is there some way I could at least connect the HD from the laptop to a
    > PC, I notice the IDE/ATA plug for the laptop is smaller than that of
    > your typical PC

    Yes, but you can get an adapter between them and they arent expensive.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Laptop-2-5-t...798022973QQcategoryZ31531QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Rod Speed, Sep 4, 2005
  15. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    It's fixed!!, I turned down the contrast of the LCD display while it loaded
    and everything's okay, once it's on for a second I can turn the contrast
    back to normal.

    Thomas, Dec 18, 2005